New EOS M camera specifications [CR1]

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
APS-C R please!!!
Look at Nikon, Sony and Even Fuji... the first two have awesome APS-C cameras with the same mount!!
And some really nice birding lenses for not even 3,5k€....(100-500 ;) ).

Canon is doing it wrong to have 3 mounts at the same time!

I wouldn’t buy an M because of the mount, lenses and toyish build and design. Only the 6II would an option to me with build in evf!!! But not like this!!
A real 7D - like model is still missing for a long time now....

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
APS-C R please!!!
Look at Nikon, Sony and Even Fuji... the first two have awesome APS-C cameras with the same mount!!
And some really nice birding lenses for not even 3,5k€....(100-500 ;) ).

Canon is doing it wrong to have 3 mounts at the same time!

I wouldn’t buy an M because of the mount, lenses and toyish build and design. Only the 6II would an option to me with build in evf!!! But not like this!!
A real 7D - like model is still missing for a long time now....

Genuine question, what features has a 7D that are not covered with a R6?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Genuine question, what features has a 7D that are not covered with a R6?
APS-C reach, weather sealing, OVF. The people that demand a true 7D successor all mean different things, but among them there is a vocal group that wants a rugged body for wildlife applications. And that's more of an R5 than R6, but they also want it at the low cost typically associated with APS-C. I still doubt they'll get what they want from Canon.

For those that reach doesn't matter, or those with sufficient budget, the R6 and R5 are indeed good replacements I think.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Whenever I'm travelling, if I find a camera store and try and stop in. None of them have ever had a single EOS M camera to show me. I'm intrigued by their size and could adapt my EF glass to it. But not willing to buy one sight unseen. I know they are bigger sellers outside of the US, so maybe less of an issue there. Just makes me wonder how committed to this market Canon really is. Seems like quite committed, given the amount of development still going on.

Brian
Here in France we got some models in local stores but not that much (and sometimes not at all) and it seems to me the biggest sales are made from websites indeed.
For instance, at the time it was launched, I had to go to another city to have an EOS M6 in hands before purchase... which is quite unusual, and first time I had to do that for a "mainstream" camera.
EOS M50 can be found easily everywhere on the net and in regular stores though.

Upvote 0
Well, some EOS-M's are certainly due but this one seems an odd duck. Since about everytime I've dissed a rumor, i've been wrong, i've STFU from dissing this one.

But what it looks like to me is it's someone's "wish list" based upon the R's without considering what the M's currently can do.

12 fps isn't going to wow people when the M6 Mark II shoots 14. Yes, that may be shutter priority, but EVERYONE markets their fps on shutter priority. The thing even shoots up to 30 fps in a crop mode. With AF. This has to at least match the M6 II on marketable specifications if not exceed it, and it doesn't seem to be doing that.

Then again, it's a CR1.

I think what they need to do is make a EOS M7 - and a Canon R7.

No APS-C lenses outside of maybe a 17-70mm on the RF side, and the EOS-M side still continue to turn out 61mm diminutive lenses.

Probably the best of both worlds really. Canon is good at allowing the consumer to choose. What they have choosen to date, is overwelmingly the EOS-M

Also - some people get too focus on what they want and assume the entire market feels the same way as they do. It's never the case. The smaller and lighter cameras do have a purpose, especially over in asia where carryon restrictions really eat into what you can carry on a plane these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As a M6 II owner, you could not be more wrong about the "too big and too heavy" comment. I've had 400 2.8 on it and my 100-400 II just about lives on the adapter. It just works and just isnt an issue.
Wow. I have an M6 II and the 100-400mm II, and I dislike it immensely for extended use (like a few hours continual hand holding). I thus resorted to a monopod, but I lose flexibility depending on what I am shooting. I cannot imagine putting on your 400 2.8 or my 600 4.0, truly, unless it is on a bean bag. The balance would not be to my liking, but it clearly is ok for you.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Why are they still continuing this series? They already have nice mirrorless models, nice DSLRs, nice compacts...

Get the M6 mark II + 22mm, 11-22mm, 32mm, Sigma 56mm.
No other system comes close to that package in quality, size + weight and usability.

Even the small RP is big and expensive with comparable lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
I think what they need to do is make a EOS M7 - and a Canon R7.
[..]

You mean like the M6II/90D release: same internals like the sensor, digic, card slot, but different externals.

I'm not sure what Canon could offer in a future M camera the next few years to make me replace the M6II, I specifically bought it to have no EVF :) I bet in a year or 2 we'll get an M400 with a fast sensor, IBIS and DPAF II, that would be very tempting, I still like the original M body the most. The M6II is both too big and too small for my liking. M+22mm fit in a coat pocket, M6II+22mm not so much.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Get the M6 mark II + 22mm, 11-22mm, 32mm, Sigma 56mm.
No other system comes close to that package in quality, size + weight and usability.

Even the small RP is big and expensive with comparable lenses.

I have all the above and I'm tempted to get the Sigma 16mm as well in case going abroad for a vacation becomes a realistic option again. Let's see what happens first, the pandemic ending or having all my kids potty trained :)

Upvote 0
I've found that using the 100-400II on an M6II is vastly improved by the Smallrig LCC2516 L bracket. It adds an extra wooden finger grip that makes it easier to control the lens when your other hand can't support the lens. Like when you need to hold nature out of the way :)
I mostly use it for dragonflies, so weird angles and tall grass are par for the course.
Thanks for this - I did look at the smallrig as a way of increasing the comfort / balance. I guess I was looking for something that gave me width like this one, and depth that a battery grip would offer.

Thus I came across these (custom battery grip) - https://www.custombatterygrips.com/store/product/canon-eos-m6-mark-ii-battery-grip - but was not entirely convinced by the grip approach - unless I could feel it then the angular approach may not be comfortable. It also makes (for me) the body look a little ugly, but I understand they did this as curves / smooth lines are more costly to manufacturer I guess....

so my hunt continues - ha ha.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
With the Canon mount adapter EF-EOS M, you can mount any EF zoom on it.

I know but none of them are great on the M6 sensor but at least they are huge and heavy.
For example the EF-S 15-85 with the adapter weights 700g, compared to 130g for the 15-45.

If i need to adapt 700g lenses, i rather get the RP with the 24-105 STM, that combo weights less.

We need a 15-50 type of compact zoom which is sharper, has better build quality and a bit brighter than F6.3.
I don't care if weights 250g instead of 130g.

Upvote 0