New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Chaitanya said:
excited about the new EOS xxxD, I hope they use the 7D af unit instead of that ancient 9point AF.

I would hope that it comes with no mirror and an EVF. That gets you around two problems: the outdated 9 point AF system (and realise the benefits of a dual pixel af sensor) and the tiny pentamirror viewfinder.

Upvote 0

Given such a beast of a wideangle zoom lens has got no competitors, I guess the price won't go down significantly for a loooong time. Well, even at f/4, it's nonetheless a lot of glass for a 11-24 zoom lens, not to mention the handicraft work particularly critical aspherical elements require. Sure it's a lot of money, but equally sure this lens will be worth every cent it costs considering the quality level Canon have been delivering with their recent lenses.

And it seems the new rebel gains a wheel and a top LCD also... well, who cares with the recent SonySung around? ::)

Upvote 0

PureClassA said:
RE: 11-24 f4

I would guess no IS because Canon wanted to go all in on sheer optics, and I know historically they have had some issues employing both (like the first 70-200 IS L) Perhaps a field of view this wide created too big a a hurdle to overcome for an IS motor without having to sacrifice a bit of edge sharpness? I'm just guessing, Dylan. That said, the 16-35 f4 (FABULOUS glass, I own it) is such a great all around wide angle for the money. But, for the high end pros who demand the utmost precision from corner to corner, methinks they are mostly shooting tripod/monopod anyway. I know I shoot my 16-35 on tripod for landscape stuff as much as possible, negating the use of IS anyway.

This is for a different level of landscape shooting where obviously you're going to spend hundreds more on an expensive filter kit to buckle to the front of this light bulb anyway.

You are quoting the internet lore that the 70-200mm f/2.8L is sharper than the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS? I'm not sure that there is any real difference other than sample variation. The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on the other hand is clearly superior to both its predecessors. That being said, there may be more issues with implementing IS on wide angle lenses; I'm sure someone on this forum will have a geeky answer! ;)

You're right about the filter kit, but it isn't just the price that puts me off: the standard Lee filters are already big enough, how you go about carrying the monsters that are made for the bulbous-fronted lenses without a separate bag would be a challenge.

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.

PureClassA said:
RE: 11-24 f4

I would guess no IS because Canon wanted to go all in on sheer optics, and I know historically they have had some issues employing both (like the first 70-200 IS L) Perhaps a field of view this wide created too big a a hurdle to overcome for an IS motor without having to sacrifice a bit of edge sharpness? I'm just guessing, Dylan. That said, the 16-35 f4 (FABULOUS glass, I own it) is such a great all around wide angle for the money. But, for the high end pros who demand the utmost precision from corner to corner, methinks they are mostly shooting tripod/monopod anyway. I know I shoot my 16-35 on tripod for landscape stuff as much as possible, negating the use of IS anyway.

This is for a different level of landscape shooting where obviously you're going to spend hundreds more on an expensive filter kit to buckle to the front of this light bulb anyway.

that's what im saying, i have bin told many times that when on a tripod to turn of IS, I hear this all the time, and IS do mean higher prices, 4500 sounds more like it with IS, this just could be one lens that canon gets right in sharpness, since teh 16-36 F4 IS is a very sharp lens. we will see from the tests on this one.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013

I can see several markets for the highly specialized 11-24: 1. Pro landscape photographers who are still shooting Canon (or Sony A7r, if this lens plays well with the Sony sensor) 2. Japanese collectors 3. Wealthy amateurs of the sort who buy the Zeiss 15 rather than the Samyang 14. and lastly, 4. rental houses.

IS seems not worth the design compromises needed for the 11mm focal length - rectilinear projection.

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.

pierlux said:
Given such a beast of a wideangle zoom lens has got no competitors, I guess the price won't go down significantly for a loooong time. Well, even at f/4, it's nonetheless a lot of glass for a 11-24 zoom lens, not to mention the handicraft work particularly critical aspherical elements require. Sure it's a lot of money, but equally sure this lens will be worth every cent it costs considering the quality level Canon have been delivering with their recent lenses.

And it seems the new rebel gains a wheel and a top LCD also... well, who cares with the recent SonySung around? ::)

The way I see it, they are all Japanese companies, no loss there and it don't matter they are getting the profit. Since the Fukushima that has bin forgotten it's nice to see that things are still being made so we can all get some nice gears to ramble about. :) ;)

Upvote 0

Khalai said:
Brace yourselves. "This lens is so damn expensive" comments are coming :)

Gee...would that be because the lens is so damn expensive??? Seriously...if it is $3000 then we are talking about $800 MORE than a 17mm TS-E....I mean really, if landscape work is your thing the tilt shift is a no brainer over the 11-24.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

So... the new body is not a hoax as I jested. Nor is it a FF Rebel (There will never be such a thing) nor is it a new iteration of the XXD line. T7i methinks. Perhaps the top lcd is a gateway drug to the XXD line. If so, it's a good philosophy.

As for the UWA Zoom, of course it's that price.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

bosshog7_2000 said:
Khalai said:

Gee...would that be because the lens is so damn expensive??? Seriously...if it is $3000 then we are talking about $800 MORE than a 17mm TS-E....I mean really, if landscape work is your thing the tilt shift is a no brainer over the 11-24.
It is expensive, yet the big whites are even more expensive. 400/4 DO II is more than twice the price of this alleged 11-24/4, but nobody seems to have a problem with that. 11 vs 14 or 16 is enormous difference, surely very expesive to design and construct, so this price should be more accepted, yet it's oddly not.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

Zv said:
Doesn't look like it would take screw on filters.

Looks like it already has a screw-in light bulb installed.

I'm not seeing the usefulness of the 11-24.

I'm keeping my $369 15mm f/2.8 fisheye! I can defish it effectively to anything between 7mm equivalent and 20mm equivalent. Yeah, you lose some detail, but I don't care.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

No, this lens isn't going to sell anything like a 24-70 mkII. However, seeing the success of the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 at $2000 (street price), Canon figures there is enough of a market for a high priced wide zoom. So you can get noticeably wider than the Nikon here and 1 stop gets sacrificed to make it such. Again, I believe landscapers would far prefer the extra field of view than the stop. I seriously doubt most of them are shooting wide open anyway for stuff like this. I know I don't. f4 vs f2.8 seems irrelevant went you're almost always on a tripod shooting at f8 or smaller...

Upvote 0

Khalai said:
bosshog7_2000 said:
Khalai said:

It is expensive, yet the big whites are even more expensive. 400/4 DO II is more than twice the price of this alleged 11-24/4, but nobody seems to have a problem with that. 11 vs 14 or 16 is enormous difference, surely very expesive to design and construct, so this price should be more accepted, yet it's oddly not.
+1 on that, and an 11mm rectilinear lens would/will be damned unique and give you shots that no one else can get. That's not a trivial thing these days when everyone and their brother is suddenly a pro. I'll be pre-ordering this bad boy the moment it's announced. Also, keep in mind the 14mm prime is around 2k...and yes, I know it's a 2.8 but if you can't handhold at f/4 and 1/10s...

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013

f4 is fine most of the time for Landscape photographers as already pointed out. However not all of the time and slow lenses at dusk when most sensors in Canon line-up currently are under 12 stops of DR creates either high ISO with the noise that goes with it or no shot.
If the DR improved then f4 becomes less of a problem on a $ 3500 lens.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal

yorgasor said:
Wait, this is a full frame, non-fisheye lens that runs at 11mm?! That sounds pretty spectacular all by itself. Has that ever been done before?

That was exactly my question. Any law of physics expert to comment? What is the possibility of successful rectilinearity at that focal length?
That would open up a brand new perspective of lifestyle photography.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

Besisika said:
yorgasor said:
Wait, this is a full frame, non-fisheye lens that runs at 11mm?! That sounds pretty spectacular all by itself. Has that ever been done before?

That was exactly my question. Any law of physics expert to comment? What is the possibility of successful rectilinearity at that focal length?
That would open up a brand new perspective of lifestyle photography.

The 17 TS-e is already this wide, you just need to shift and stitch to capture it all because a full-frame sensor isn't big enough.

And those of us that do panos have been seeing wider than this basically forever.

Upvote 0