New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

WHOA! I am sure the optics will be impressive ....but at that price and focal length it is definitely a specialty lens.
Cool that Canon is finally cleaning up some of the areas in its lens lineup where it was lacking, though. Just in time for the big MP camera. Cool. Me...I think that i am going to get out of FF altogether...and step down to MFT as my primary camera system. Smaller, more portable and does what I need for 90% of my image making. I rarely need the big sensor these days... With Olympus coming out with a 40MP body for still subjects.... I think I may just sell off all of my CAnon gear and use my extensive smaller kit and just know that the sensors will continue to get better and better. Makes sense for me financially and convenience-wise.....I know its not the right choice for everyone. I am on the edge of leaving the bulk and the expense behind!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

:mad: Canon seems to have given up on producing a great UWA faster than f/4.

At f/2.8 I can shoot in decent indoor light at 1/60th, ISO 1600. Stops enough moderate facial motion and looks clean. I'd pay for even a 14-24mm as sharp as my 24-70mm II--BUT ONLY IF IT WERE f/2.8.

Won't pay 3k for f/4.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Firstly, I said the 70-200 IS was worse than the non-IS. I've shot both. I never said it was better than the IS II. It's clearly not. I own that one.

Moving on, for those lamenting the f4..... Geez.... Ok, let's make it f2.8 and charge $5000 for it and have a lens as big as the old 50mm 1.0 or bigger.... Good idea.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger said:
:mad: Canon seems to have given up on producing a great UWA faster than f/4.

At f/2.8 I can shoot in decent indoor light at 1/60th, ISO 1600. Stops enough moderate facial motion and looks clean. I'd pay for even a 14-24mm as sharp as my 24-70mm II--BUT ONLY IF IT WERE f/2.8.

Won't pay 3k for f/4.

I will just add that usually a lens is not at its sharpest at the lowest f stop. Maybe this one is. But I am thinking it will be sharper at f/5.6.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

PureClassA said:
Firstly, I said the 70-200 IS was worse than the non-IS. I've shot both. I never said it was better than the IS II. It's clearly not. I own that one.

Moving on, for those lamenting the f4..... Geez.... Ok, let's make it f2.8 and charge $5000 for it and have a lens as big as the old 50mm 1.0 or bigger.... Good idea.

What are the specs on the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8? Does it cost 5k?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

YuengLinger said:
PureClassA said:

It costs 2k. It doesn't go to 11mm. Which is I believe 1 20-25% greater field of view capability and extreme forced perspective. If Canon prices this at even $3500 (with the Nikon at $2000) It's because they know they can get it. At f2.8, you're talking about a ton more glass hence the higher price. It's the biggest full frame focal range at the wide end ever made.

Upvote 0

bereninga said:
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Which is why I'm looking forward to getting the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more versatile and half the (rumored) price of this Canon 11-24 f/4. Supposedly it was designed to resolve Sony's coming 50mp sensor and is incredibly sharp.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one! I wonder what the price would be for the Tamron.

$1,500, like their 70-200 2.8 VC, I believe. Nothing is official yet, though, but I would bet on $1,499 release price.

Upvote 0

Alleged 11-24mm lens, that is in the extreme lens category and probably will be as popular as 8-15mm, is a nice distraction from yet another 18MP sensor Rebel.

So are the seemingly generous new additions like the wheel and top monitor which alone without better AF and bump in FPS won't directly compete with 70D sales... Not much more for what I see it.

Upvote 0

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011

keithcooper said:
At last, a Canon lens that goes straight on to my 'need to get' list ;-)

Price looks just fine ...YMMV ;-)
+1
taking quite some time to do it, but it's ok if they do it right
you pay less with bigmas and tammys, but you more likely to get less with resale( not a rule)

Upvote 0

Sunnystate said:
Alleged 11-24mm lens, that is in the extreme lens category and probably will be as popular as 8-15mm, is a nice distraction from yet another 18MP sensor Rebel.

New Rebel will have a nice new DPAF sensor. Probably 20MPx, but I wouldn't be surprised if Canon pumped it a little bit to 22 or 24 Mpx.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

blackbox said:
So let's face it, you're only going to buy this lens if you don't already have a 16-35. So who has 3K for an extra 5mm?

5mm from 16 to 11 is a bit more than from 300 to 305mm... It gives an extreme perspective not seen before and the corner quality will be epic which is essential, and that is expensive. I won't buy it, but have no doubt it will be a fantastic lens.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

PureClassA said:
YuengLinger said:
PureClassA said:

It costs 2k. It doesn't go to 11mm. Which is I believe 1 20-25% greater field of view capability and extreme forced perspective. If Canon prices this at even $3500 (with the Nikon at $2000) It's because they know they can get it. At f2.8, you're talking about a ton more glass hence the higher price. It's the biggest full frame focal range at the wide end ever made.
It doesn't go to 11mm BUT it goes to f/2.8. The new Canon lens will not be so suitable for Astrophotography (which could benefit from 11mm). So what Canon will give with one hand will take with the other...

For daylight photography an f/4 UUWA lens is OK I guess...

Upvote 0

blackbox said:
So let's face it, you're only going to buy this lens if you don't already have a 16-35. So who has 3K for an extra 5mm?
I do ;-) ...16mm is only just getting into 'wide' for me (TS-E24 feels like a 'standard' lens)

As an architectural photographer, wide can make all the difference, both the TS-E17 (stitched and single shot) and EF8-15 have paid for themselves many times over, with shots I couldn't have easily produced otherwise.

Stitched images give a nice bump in MP for some of our higher resolution stuff, but most clients don't need huge files.

I also have the EF14 2.8L II which is a lovely lens to use, but depending on the results with an 11-24 f/4L, might even go up for sale... Of the 3 very wide lenses I've got, it has 'earned' the least, and the money would be useful for contributing to a potential replacement for my 1Ds3 ;-)

Upvote 0
Re: L series EF-S

Rick said:
Would make more sense if this lens were the first in a line of EF-S L series lenses.
Nope - EF-S 'L' is wishful thinking IMHO.

Makes eminent sense for 11mm on full frame, a genuinely new lens capability for Canon

If you want wide for EF-S, then ask for an EF-S 7-15

Upvote 0