New Sigma Lenses Coming Today

Alex_M said:
I would strongly suggest for you to wait and see until we get reliable data and trusted resources like TDP has detailed performance review of the 500mm lens. Sigma 120-300 Sports and the older version of the lens had major reliability issue with the AF motor failures as the focusing group was way too heavy. This is a well known issue with heavy Sigmas. just wanted to let youknow.

I've owned my 120-300 2.8 OS non sport for 3 years now without issues and my best friend owns the same lens for 4 years. We both shoot them alot. Either way if you buy from an authorized dealer the 4yr warranty means you won't have to worry about it.

I more than likely will not be purchasing the 500mm or the 12-24 but the 85 is on my pre-order immediately lists as soon as the links become available. Unless the price exceeds 999 then I'll more than likely purchase the 1.2II version

Upvote 0
Re: New Sigma Lenses Coming Shortly? [CR1]

David Littleboy said:
LordofTackle said:
pmjm said:
Can't wait to try that 12-24.

+1, although I still don't really trust the sigma and tamron lenses... too much bad experience. If only the Canon was't so ridiculously expensive...

The Sigma 12-24 lenses have been great fun since the first one was released. Absolutely wonderful for architectural interiors. Sure, the corners at 12mm were funky on the first version and only half-way decent on the second version, but for the price, simply wonderful. Personally, I don't get the Canon monster at all. Given the Sigma 12-24, it just doesn't do enough extra. For the price, you could buy a Sony FF body and the Cosina 10mm prime and be even wider. And the Sony + Cosina 10mm prime would weigh less and take up less space in your bag...

Which is to say, the weight and price of the newest Sigma 12-24 may make the old version be worth sticking with.

True, the hefty price and the weight (not so much as the prize) are what keep me from getting it, especially since everything below 16mm is "just for fun" for me. Thus I can in no way justify the prize.

privatebydesign said:
Mine will work on every Canon camera I ever buy without issue and be 100% reliable. If I have an issue with it I can send it to Canon and they will fix it in short order either free or for a modest (relative) amount. If it doesn't work well with a particular body I can send them both in and they will make it all work too.

For me reaching into my bag and it 'just working' is probably the most compelling reason to be a Canon user, for me that is close to priceless and why I own a Canon 11-24 and if I didn't wouldn't dream of getting a Sigma 12-24.

That!
If I were to use the Sigma for controlled shots, like architecture or astro, I could get along with it. But since I use most of my lenses also as walk-along lenses I want a reliable AF. Just my 2c :)

Upvote 0
So the 85 is going to be a massive lens.

50A is 3.36" x 4.25" and it weighs 28.8oz
85A is 3.72" x 4.96" but not sure of the weight. I suspect about 34oz which is identical to the 85 1.2II

Is that 86mm for the lens filter diameter?

I've scaled the lens image with bluebeam and with the hood on the lens length is 7.48" to the rear of the lens. This lens is BIG!

Looks like I'll have to ditch the 50 as I'm not carrying both. Would rather have 24/35/85 than 24/50/85 now with the weight.

Upvote 0
Alex_M said:
I would strongly suggest for you to wait and see until we get reliable data and trusted resources like TDP has detailed performance review of the 500mm lens. Sigma 120-300 Sports and the older version of the lens had major reliability issue with the AF motor failures as the focusing group was way too heavy. This is a well known issue with heavy Sigmas. just wanted to let you know.

I'm still waiting for TDP to complete the review of the Sigma 180, so other reviewers might be a better bet. But I've had my 180 several years with no issues except the loose lens hood. And it is sharper than the Canon 100 L macro.

Upvote 0
Talley said:
So the 85 is going to be a massive lens.

50A is 3.36" x 4.25" and it weighs 28.8oz
85A is 3.72" x 4.96" but not sure of the weight. I suspect about 34oz which is identical to the 85 1.2II

Is that 86mm for the lens filter diameter?

I've scaled the lens image with bluebeam and with the hood on the lens length is 7.48" to the rear of the lens. This lens is BIG!

Looks like I'll have to ditch the 50 as I'm not carrying both. Would rather have 24/35/85 than 24/50/85 now with the weight.

Nope... Just looking into it and this thing is sized very close to the Zeiss 85 Otus! :( Will be more than 40oz. Same 86mm filter = one beast of a lens.

I promise you they (sigma) will refer to the otus lens when it comes to it's performance in any reviews you get from (sigma) themselves.

Upvote 0

pmjm said:
Kudos to Sigma, they have really upped their game. A few years ago I wouldn't have touched third party lenses. Now my 35mm ART is one of my go-to favorites. Can't wait to try that 12-24.

I have no interesting to 12-24 Art more, while I have seen the spec.
TOO HEAVY!
It is only 30g lighter than the great Canon 11-24mm.
I will keep waiting for a lighter C edition of 12-24mm.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

privatebydesign said:
Canon doesn't care what Sigma sell for, they price their lenses where they need and go about their business. Sigma are no competition what so ever in a tiny third party lens market.

That implies that Canon is stupid, non-competitive and not innovative. I don't believe that's the case. The quality gap between OEM lenses and third parties has shrunk significantly in the past few years. Innovations like docking stations make it much harder for Canon and Nikon to cripple third party lenses (plus that implies a cavalier attitude toward their own customers that would be self-destructive.) supplemental lenses are always a tiny niche market (most cameras sold will never have a second, much less a third or fourth lens mounted on them) But with the collapse of the point and shoot market, all manufacturers are facing stiffer competition for the lucrative enthusiast market and Canon Would be foolish to cede any portion of that market. I don't think they are foolish.

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.gmcphotographics.co.uk

kirbyzhou said:
pmjm said:
Kudos to Sigma, they have really upped their game. A few years ago I wouldn't have touched third party lenses. Now my 35mm ART is one of my go-to favorites. Can't wait to try that 12-24.

I have no interesting to 12-24 Art more, while I have seen the spec.
TOO HEAVY!
It is only 30g lighter than the great Canon 11-24mm.
I will keep waiting for a lighter C edition of 12-24mm.

The new Sigma is a constant f4...so yes, you should expect it to be similar in size and weight as the canon 11-24L.
If size and weight is a serious consideration for you, take a look at either the APS-c 8-55mm sigma on a 7DII or maybe some of the new ultra wide primes which are nearly available. The Laowa 12mm f2.8 is probably top of the list. Although the Irix 11mm looks pretty amazing too. There's a few different ultras on the way.

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics said:
The new Sigma is a constant f4...so yes, you should expect it to be similar in size and weight as the canon 11-24L.
If size and weight is a serious consideration for you, take a look at either the APS-c 8-55mm sigma on a 7DII or maybe some of the new ultra wide primes which are nearly available. The Laowa 12mm f2.8 is probably top of the list. Although the Irix 11mm looks pretty amazing too. There's a few different ultras on the way.

I couldn't agree more. The Laowa, the Irix, the Samyang 14mm f/2.4, and now the Sigma 12-24 II. It will probably come down to whichever has the best coma, assuming all are sharp and with the expected distortion.

Weight isn't a big concern for me and I wonder why it is for others. Not that I'm really strong. I just don't mind an extra pound or so in my pack. Perhaps a third party option will be developed with polycarbonate lens elements...

Upvote 0
I´m satisfied with my Sigma lenses, using them for two decades now. Sometimes you need a special workaround, e.g. when af is not as good as with first party lenses. With my actual lenses thats no problem.
But the older ones are not made for digital sensors, so I need newer ones which makes me observe the market very well.
Pricing of Sigma and Tammy is quite fair, their actual quality as well. There is only one thing that makes me getting away from Sigma: they missed the chance to position their new global series (here especially the Art-series) to be water and dust resistant - for rough outdoor use. Using your gear in heavy rain, mist, spray at the sea or dust without protected lenses might lead to: :'(
That´s the reason for me to stick to Canon or, now, also Tamron. So come on Sigma, just a little bit more sealing = more sales to all the outdoor people...

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011

unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:
Canon doesn't care what Sigma sell for, they price their lenses where they need and go about their business. Sigma are no competition what so ever in a tiny third party lens market.

That implies that Canon is stupid, non-competitive and not innovative. I don't believe that's the case. The quality gap between OEM lenses and third parties has shrunk significantly in the past few years. Innovations like docking stations make it much harder for Canon and Nikon to cripple third party lenses (plus that implies a cavalier attitude toward their own customers that would be self-destructive.) supplemental lenses are always a tiny niche market (most cameras sold will never have a second, much less a third or fourth lens mounted on them) But with the collapse of the point and shoot market, all manufacturers are facing stiffer competition for the lucrative enthusiast market and Canon Would be foolish to cede any portion of that market. I don't think they are foolish.

No it doesn't, it might have a slight impact where Canon devote a small part of their R&D, but in a comparatively small market they know better than anybody how many they sell and how much it costs to make any item. If they see a market they will make a lens for it, if they don't they won't.

I know everybody pulls car analogies to pieces but think of it like this. Ford make 'off road' SUV's, so do Mercedes, Mercedes don't care what Ford sell their SUV's for, they might have a passing interest, but it doesn't form a solid reason for them to change what they do or the prices they charge. Mercedes also don't see a lucrative for them market in six wheel drive SUV's and pickups but they are happy to help AMG make them, and even though those 6x6's sell secondhand for nearly twice the new price Mercedes still don't see it as a money making opportunity. In making those specific business choices Mercedes are not stupid, non-competitive or lack innovation. They are smart business people who don't compete in the Ford market or the AMG market for reasons they decide are best for them.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

privatebydesign said:
unfocused said:
privatebydesign said:

No it doesn't, it might have a slight impact where Canon devote a small part of their R&D, but in a comparatively small market they know better than anybody how many they sell and how much it costs to make any item. If they see a market they will make a lens for it, if they don't they won't.

I know everybody pulls car analogies to pieces but think of it like this. Ford make 'off road' SUV's, so do Mercedes, Mercedes don't care what Ford sell their SUV's for, they might have a passing interest, but it doesn't form a solid reason for them to change what they do or the prices they charge. Mercedes also don't see a lucrative for them market in six wheel drive SUV's and pickups but they are happy to help AMG make them, and even though those 6x6's sell secondhand for nearly twice the new price Mercedes still don't see it as a money making opportunity. In making those specific business choices Mercedes are not stupid, non-competitive or lack innovation. They are smart business people who don't compete in the Ford market or the AMG market for reasons they decide are best for them.
We can't forget about the value of the Canon name and we can't forget about profits....

These numbers are pulled out of the air (made up)
Let's say it costs Canon $1,000,000 to develop a new lens and it costs $300 each to build them. They analyze the market and figure that if they charge $600 to the dealer that they will sell 10,000 copies. Those 10,000 sales brings in $6,000,000, and minus the $1,000,000 development costs and the $3,000,000 production costs, they come out $2,000,000 ahead....

Now say they analyze the market and determine that if they sell them to the dealers for $400 that they will double sales to 20,000..... Now the total revenue climbs from $6,000,000 to $8,000,000, but the $1,000,000 development costs and the $6,000,000 leaves them with a profit of $1,000,000.

All this said, it is very likely (a certainty) that Canon has looked at this in great detail and with far more data than we will ever have. They can most certainly sell their lenses and cameras for less, but they have picked a point to maximize their profit. A company like Sigma, which does not have the Canon nameplate on it to boost sales, will have a different set of variables used to select it's pricing and will therefore be different than Canon.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
Canon Rumors Premium

LordofTackle said:
pmjm said:
Can't wait to try that 12-24.

+1, although I still don't really trust the sigma and tamron lenses... too much bad experience. If only the Canon was't so ridiculously expensive...

I agree completely. I have the Samyang 14 mm 2.8 (completely manual). I would love this 12-24 especially with electronic compatibility with Canon. This is a lens I will use, but not that often so I really don't want to spend 2K+ on one. If this lens is very good, and reasonably priced, I'm in.

Scott

Upvote 0