Next official EF-M Lens

Oct 18, 2011
tayassu said:
I do still believe that Canon will go mirrorless with their 'normal' SLR's (I expect the 7DII to be the first one -> hybrid VF, stunning video functions, many autofocus points etc.) and they will have an EF mount, otherwise they would kill themselves after building up a lens system for, I don't know, 40 years?! I wouldn't bet on the M system.
What is the point in going mirrorless and keeping the EF mount? I get the lens compatibility, but by keeping the EF mount, you basically limit the size of the camera to, at best, be the size of the SL1. Can't really make it smaller than that, and if you want more processing power (many point AF, etc), it'd have to be bigger.

So, if you're not gaining size, I'm not seeing the point in going mirrorless and EF mount.

ecka said:
Canon may end up making a mirrorless body with built-in speedbooster.
1. They would keep the EF mount and all FF lens support
2. No need for FF sensor, lower price, more sales, more profit
3. No more dust specks, no more sensor cleaning, just think about the level of weather sealing it could have 8)
This is an interesting concept, but, I have to imagine that technologically it'd be pretty complex. And, since those speedboosters all run in the $4-600 range, you're talking a big price addition to any body.

if they implemented that, it'd have to come in a prosumer or higher level body, as they wouldn't be able to price it <$1000 most likely.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
I'd love a small macro lens with reasonably long working distance. Would the M's design allow for an equivalent to the 100L macro or 180L in a much smaller package? I've found the M a really good macro camera, with both the 100 and the MP-E - most of the time I'm using Live View for macro work anyway (especially with the MP-E) so the lack of a viewfinder isn't a problem.

But these lenses are rather bulky on the small body.

The 100 f/2.8L IS Macro works very well on the EOS-M. I hold the lens by the barrel, and use touch shutter. With IS on, you can get pretty good macro shots. Also good on a tripod. Give it a try!

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
scyrene said:
I'd love a small macro lens with reasonably long working distance. Would the M's design allow for an equivalent to the 100L macro or 180L in a much smaller package? I've found the M a really good macro camera, with both the 100 and the MP-E - most of the time I'm using Live View for macro work anyway (especially with the MP-E) so the lack of a viewfinder isn't a problem.

But these lenses are rather bulky on the small body.

The 100 f/2.8L IS Macro works very well on the EOS-M. I hold the lens by the barrel, and use touch shutter. With IS on, you can get pretty good macro shots. Also good on a tripod. Give it a try!

Oh I have, and it does work well. That lens is a dream in almost every situation :) But it dwarfs the body. Since we were dreaming up what we'd like as the next EF-M lens, my vote is for a macro lens that's much smaller (assuming it's possible; although I doubt it would ever happen).

Upvote 0
Haydn1971 said:
Current list of Canon EF-M patents...

9-18mm f4.0-5.6
10-20mm f4.0-5.6
16-120mm f3.5-5.6
18-40mm f4.0-5.6 - Pancake
18-55mm f4.0-8.0 - Pancake
18-200mm f3.5-6.3
22-46mm f3.5-5.6 - Pancake

Some odd conflicting sizes here, what's missing are the primes

My guess is we'll only see one pancake see the light of day and that both the other UWA's were rejected in favour of the 11-22mm although I spose the 9-18mm might be a future higher end option.

The 16-120mm is interesting simply because that focal length range points to something large and expensive you'd expect to see a more advanced body released for.

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
preppyak said:
ecka said:
Canon may end up making a mirrorless body with built-in speedbooster.
1. They would keep the EF mount and all FF lens support
2. No need for FF sensor, lower price, more sales, more profit
3. No more dust specks, no more sensor cleaning, just think about the level of weather sealing it could have 8)
This is an interesting concept, but, I have to imagine that technologically it'd be pretty complex. And, since those speedboosters all run in the $4-600 range, you're talking a big price addition to any body.

if they implemented that, it'd have to come in a prosumer or higher level body, as they wouldn't be able to price it <$1000 most likely.

I do like that idea! Canon would certainly have to recoup R+D costs but I think they'd be able to build this into a body for much less than the $400-600 other companies need to charge to recoup their costs. For one, it's a simpler, fixed design, it becomes part of the body as opposed to a standalone unit. The numbers for Canon would be significantly less than it costs Metabones to make a widget because Canon has economies of scale on its side. Still, I agree it would first arrive on a much higher end camera and eventually trickle down - but I really like the idea of a built in speedbooster.

Upvote 0
Haydn1971 said:
Being playing around with my 135L and 35IS today in prep for my highland trip.. Yes, agreed, some more primes would be nice, the 50mm Samyang just isn't doing it for me

The 35 f/2 IS is really nice. Might work well paired with 24 f/2.8 IS and 100 f/2.8L IS macro for a light weight travel set

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
crashpc said:
Haydn: 70-400mm looks usable to me. It would be nice to have native sharp 50mm f/1.6 IS STM

not needed. EF 50/1.8 STM via adapter does the trick nicely. Dead sharp. Dirt cheap. Best focus drive for mirrorless. Very compact on EOS-M even with adapter.

Only EF-M lens really missing is a short tele - EF-M 80mm/2.4 IS STM, as compact as posible and as optically good as 22/2.0 please.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
AvTvM said:
not needed. EF 50/1.8 STM via adapter does the trick nicely. Dead sharp. Dirt cheap. Best focus drive for mirrorless. Very compact on EOS-M even with adapter.

I'd disagree here, using the adapter isn't a reasonable solution moving forward with the native mirrorless offerings from Fuji, M4/3 and Sony - especially with such a key prime.

AvTvM said:
Only EF-M lens really missing is a short tele - EF-M 80mm/2.4 IS STM, as compact as posible and as optically good as 22/2.0 please.

As discussed elsewhere, the EF-M mount requires initailly a trio of primes that provide users with a degree of flexibility, I'd like to see longer tele primes, but given the small size, I'd pitch that users would prefer options towards wide and standards as follows

- UWA something like a 10/11mm prime (16/17mm)
- WA 15mm (24mm)
- standard 22mm we have (35mm)
- a fast standard 32/35mm (50/56mm)
- a short tele to give a FF focal length in the 80-100mm range

My money would be on the fast prime first, followed by the UWA, then a selection of more zoom lenses to better fit with a higher grade EOS-M body

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
crashpc said:
Haydn: 70-400mm looks usable to me. It would be nice to have native sharp 50mm f/1.6 IS STM

I somewhat agree about the 50 STM. It is really good on the EOS M and actually not that big even with the adaptor. However, crashpc did mention the need for an IS version which I think the EOS M can use since t's likely to be used without a viewfinder to steady things.

I am really impressed with the 50 STM on the EOS M2, this might be my new fave combo for people / street and small events.

For anything more tele I prefer using a DSLR. Just feels easier to use.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
1. EOS M cameras need a build in viewfinder.
2. Fast EF-M primes are minority program. Not urgent.
3. Compact EF-M lenses are a priority.
4 only lens missing is EF-M 80/2.4 IS STM.

Macro? EF-S 60:2.8 + adapter. Got it, works nicely.
50mm lens? EF 50/1.8 STM + adapter. Got it, works nicely.
UWA? EF-M 10-20! Best APS-c zoom lens on the market. Optically excellent, durt cheap and compact. got it, works nicely. No need whatsoever for a 10mm prime!

Upvote 0