Nikon Confirms New Mirrorless System Coming in Early 2019, What About Canon?

gmon750 said:
Ryananthony said:
I feel bad for anyone using Canon or Nikon, who want a FF mirrorless. This is proving to take a while.

Oh please. I'm happy and patiently waiting to see what Canon comes up with. You're making it sound our dSLR's are suddenly inoperable and no longer useful. Mirrorless offers INCREMENTAL improvements, and not the end-all-be-all of anything prior. I'm ready to buy a 5DM4 to complement my 5DM3, but since I'm in no rush, I and many others are fine with waiting. We're not like other people that have to have their 15-minute attention-span fulfilled with the next shiny gadget.

I'm happy to see folks like Sony coming in, making their mistakes, and putting out a new camera every year while Canon is making sure their offering is baked right out the gate.

Oh please. I bolded a section of my post which you seem to have missed. Regardless of what you think, no matter how big or small the market is for FF mirrorless, there are Canon users who are eagerly waiting. I'm not making it sound like anything, and I never said any of things you mentioned in your post, you are getting ahead of yourself. My post doesn't even suggest I want FF mirrorless. And if you find yourself confusing my words again, I'll make it clear.

There are people who want canon FF mirrorless, if nothing more then for an EVF. It was suggested we might see one here in 2018, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I feel bad that those users, who are now looking to be waiting until next year.

Upvote 0
Once again we see a person who is sorry about Canon or Nikon users. It should be very sad for him to feel all that sorrow and nothing else. But Canon and Nikon users are still able to make great pictures somehow. Their cameras are just an imaging tool rather than a cult object, which needs renewed worship every year.
Yet this person statement tells us nothing about Canon or Nikon users, but rather about that person himself and his or her feelings.

Upvote 0
littleB said:
Once again we see a person who is sorry about Canon or Nikon users. It should be very sad for him to feel all that sorrow and nothing else. But Canon and Nikon users are still able to make great pictures somehow. Their cameras are just an imaging tool rather than a cult object, which needs renewed worship every year.
Yet this person statement tells us nothing about Canon or Nikon users, but rather about that person himself and his or her feelings.

Feel free to quote me if you are actually referring to me. I'm both a Canon and Nikon user. The mojority of what I shoot is birds in flight, and sports so I'm not actually looking for a mirrorless at the moment. But thanks for your participation in the thread.

Upvote 0
Ryananthony said:
There are people who want canon FF mirrorless, if nothing more then for an EVF. It was suggested we might see one here in 2018, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I feel bad that those users, who are now looking to be waiting until next year.
I am overwhelmed by your sympathy. I am so grateful you feel my need and that you feel bad for me. Knowing you are beside me ... perhaps, maybe, I can carry on.

Without you ... I do not know where I could look for solace.

Upvote 0
DaviSto said:
Ryananthony said:
I am overwhelmed by your sympathy. I am so grateful you feel my need and that you feel bad for me. Knowing you are beside me ... perhaps, maybe, I can carry on.

Without you ... I do not know where I could look for solace.

I know how sensitive some people are, my shoulder is here for you.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think that both companies want to create a buildup of anticipation, so look for teasers as the summer arrives.
We don't need no buildup of anticipation or teasers. We've been waiting so long we are straining at the ends of our logging chains, gory-eyed, spittle flying from our fangs, howling-stark-raving crazy for the Canon FF mirrorless. No need to build anticipation here.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that Canon will come up with a good and simple way of using ef lenses on the new mirrorless cameras.
But please Canon, don't make the mistake of putting the lens mount too close to the grip. I hate getting my fingers cramped and stuck like I do with Sony A7s.
And don't put a green-yellow cast on the pictures like Sony does.

One thing for sure, when Canon does bring out its FF mirrorless, it will work well and be good ergonomically - unlike other milcs.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
Ryananthony said:
I feel bad for anyone using Canon or Nikon, who want a FF mirrorless. This is proving to take a while.

I feel bad for the people who spent a lot of money thinking they were getting a modern, mirrorless camera that was better than any DSLR, and got stuck with a Sony Alpha instead. Not even touch af until recently, and even now it's laggy and only for focus (come on Sony, what about "touch" don't you undersand?). Even a phone does more than that! And spaghetti code-like menu systems, weird colors, overheating (gee, electronics generate heat? Who knew?), incompetent battery design, no thought for weather sealing etc, all add up to not very modern tech at all. But granted, yes, Sony is doing a great job working on all these problems, (and consumers do make great beta testers) and thing are getting better. But man is it taking awhile...

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2016
tmroper said:
Ryananthony said:

I feel bad for the people who spent a lot of money thinking they were getting a modern, mirrorless camera that was better than any DSLR, and got stuck with a Sony Alpha instead. Not even touch af until recently, and even now it's laggy and only for focus (come on Sony, what about "touch" don't you undersand?). Even a phone does more than that! And spaghetti code-like menu systems, weird colors, overheating (gee, electronics generate heat? Who knew?), incompetent battery design, no thought for weather sealing etc, all add up to not very modern tech at all. But granted, yes, Sony is doing a great job working on all these problems, (and consumers do make great beta testers) and thing are getting better. But man is it taking awhile...

To be fair, Sony has really improved their battery life. All reports I've read are that their new cameras (A7III, etc.) with the "Z" batteries have very good battery life. It is something like 3X better than in the previous generation (A7II, etc.). For me, that would be good enough.

Upvote 0
There is MOST DEFINITELY A NEW LENS MOUNT COMING from Canon!

....BUT....

It ain't for Full Frame but rather a MUCH LARGER SENSOR to be put into higher end Cinema EOS DCI 8K (8192 by 4380 pixels) video camera and a New Medium Format 8k Stills/4K video camera that looks like a way-oversized 1Dx Mk2.

The new lens mount is SUPPOSED to be able to take as a large as a 65mm film-size sensor (i.e. for Cinema EOS cameras) but my European engineering sources say the initial MF STILL CAMERA sensor is to be a 56mm by 42mm Bayer pattern sensor for Medium Format stills photography at about 8192 by 6036 pixels (4:3 aspect ratio) with a photosite size of about 6.82 microns. That interesting aspect ratio (i.e. NOT 3:2) would be GREAT for ANAMORPHIC LENSES for BOTH video and stills!

A sensor THAT LARGE would make for some STUNNING 50 Megapixel low-light photographs with VERY LITTLE NOISE at up to about ISO 12800 with STILL VERY usable photos at up to around ISO 32000 based upon some basic electrical calculations of mine compared with current noise specs and samples on the Canon 1Dx Mk2.

I have heard that REAL WORLD TESTING is being and has been done with that MF camera using large MF prime and zoom lenses! And based upon Photos I have seen on certain engineering forums, I believe that what I saw is fairly complete in terms of a sellable Canon design. I suspect we shall see either an extension to the Cinema EOS C700 system (i.e. C900?) AND/OR a full Medium Format official Canon announcement as soon as February 2019.

I have also heard through the grapevine that some very MAJOR Canon customers have ALREADY been given a heads up via engineering pre-announcements to said select customers! (i.e. possibly for Olympics coverage issues?) There MAY be an MF announcement at Photokina indicating that Canon is working on said Large Sensor Medium Format camera with new sensor mount similar to an Arri Alexa-65's size!

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
HarryFilm said:

....BUT....

It ain't for Full Frame but rather a MUCH LARGER SENSOR to be put into higher end Cinema EOS DCI 8K (8192 by 4380 pixels) video camera and a New Medium Format 8k Stills/4K video camera that looks like a way-oversized 1Dx Mk2.

[---]

I have also heard through the grapevine that some very MAJOR Canon customers have ALREADY been given a heads up via engineering pre-announcements to said select customers! (i.e. possibly for Olympics coverage issues?) There MAY be an MF announcement at Photokina indicating that Canon is working on said Large Sensor Medium Format camera with new sensor mount similar to an Arri Alexa-65's size!

Soo... You was drunk while posting this? Well... Could happen. Not much's going on at Chinablads Copenhagen offices these days, it seems...

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
-1 said:
HarryFilm said:
[...]
There MAY be an MF announcement at Photokina indicating that Canon is working on said Large Sensor Medium Format camera with new sensor mount similar to an Arri Alexa-65's size!

Soo... You were drunk while posting this? Well... Could happen. Not much's going on at Chinablads Copenhagen offices these days, it seems...

But you have to admit that if true, it would be great! ;)

Anyway, it is the most entertaining post I have recently read here. At least it is pretty creative. I prefer such posts (this is a rumors forum, ain't it!) rather than those never ending mundane refrains about the superiority of one product over another.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I am pretty sure that canon hast developed and tested several options
up to the point that they are more or less production-ready.

They might wait to see what Nikon announces, then decide their answer
and immediately start producing. They don't have to book sensor baking
slots, they bake their own and are able to switch focus without any
problems.

So Canon with their huge production capacity can decide /after/ Nikon
drops their pants and still beat them to market.

That said, there is no reason for me to expect any mount other than EF.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Quackator said:
and immediately start producing.

You really believe they can see what Nikon announces and immediately change their specifications to challenge it and still beat Nikon to market...?

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Mikehit said:
Quackator said:
and immediately start producing.

You really believe they can see what Nikon announces and immediately change their specifications to challenge it and still beat Nikon to market...?

Not just their specifications, but manufacturing process. People don't seem to understand how small changes can require changes to process that impact a manufacturing line. The smallest of changes requires extensive analysis and testing. And before someone suggests it... no... No one builds alternate implementations of their manufacturing lines in order to make a last minute decision. No one but the government throws money away like that. ;)

Upvote 0
If Canon does come out with a MILC and they do use the existing EF mount will my third party lenses work?

Sorry if this is a newb question, I am a newb when it come to lens mounts and compatibility.

I have a 50D that's been fine for my hobby needs with my Sigma, Tamron Tokina lenses. By the time spring 2019 rolls around I will be thinking about updating

Will I have to start all over with new lenses? I would think that if older third party lenses are not compatible with a new Canon EF mount MILC the resale values for them would drop like a bag of dirt

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
tekin112000 said:
If Canon does come out with a MILC and they do use the existing EF mount will my third party lenses work?

Sorry if this is a newb question, I am a newb when it come to lens mounts and compatibility.

I have a 50D that's been fine for my hobby needs with my Sigma, Tamron Tokina lenses. By the time spring 2019 rolls around I will be thinking about updating

Will I have to start all over with new lenses? I would think that if older third party lenses are not compatible with a new Canon EF mount MILC the resale values for them would drop like a bag of dirt

I can't imagine an issue whether it's native, first party adapter, or something else creative, since third party EF lenses work perfectly with dual pixel AF on EF mount, and I can't imagine any other AF technology driving the first generation of Canon FF mirrorless.

Upvote 0