Nikon Confirms New Mirrorless System Coming in Early 2019, What About Canon?

Apr 23, 2018
EF lenses will continue to work, but possibly require a simple adapter to mount them. AF performance will likely be very similar to operation in live view mode on a DSLR.

Third-Party lenses for Canon EF should also continue to work. BUT there could well be a number of issues related to lens-camera communication protocol and firmware, depending on manufacturer and age and type of lens. Canon has made changes to that communication protocol many times times in the past and quite a few times it resulted in problems with regards to some third party lenses.

A major changeover such as the one to mirrorless - likely with a new lens mount version - will probably also bring major changes to communication protocol / firmware to optimize overall potential of mirrorless camera and lens system, especially AF functionality and performance. If or to what extent third-party lenses will be adversely affected remains to be seen. Safest bet is certainly to use original Canon lenses.

Upvote 0
infared said:
I am not holding my breath at all for Canon's Mirrorless offering. Odds are, that they do not "get it right".
We'll see........

The odds are that whatever they put out will cause countless Vloggers, Bloggers, Reviewers, and forum poster to declare that Canon is finally dead and Sony is the new King of Cameras. However it will be a nice Camera that does its job well and will probably still out sell the competition.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Mikehit said:
Quackator said:
They might wait to see what Nikon announces, then decide their answer
and immediately start producing.
So Canon with their huge production capacity can decide /after/ Nikon
drops their pants and still beat them to market.
You really believe they can see what Nikon announces and immediately
change their specifications to challenge it and still beat Nikon to market...?

No, you got me wrong. They for sure have developed and tested several
variations, but they haven't decided which of them to declare their gold
standard. So, with the knowledge about Nikons announcement, they will
be able to decide better. THIS then prompts how to set up manufacturing
lines. Canon is much faster in production preparation and delivers a much
higher output than any other manufacturer. Their new robotic assembly
line adds to their flexibility.

When Nikon announces, this means with deadly accurycy that they have
started producing.

So, if Canon is able to set up the manufacturing fast enough, they will
probably be able to beat Nikon to market with their answer.

They will have researched Nikons options long and deep, and they will
have an escalation route for any of these options. The minute Nikon
drops their pants, Canon will know their answer.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
kkamena said:
infared said:
I am not holding my breath at all for Canon's Mirrorless offering. Odds are, that they do not "get it right".
We'll see........

The odds are that whatever they put out will cause countless Vloggers, Bloggers, Reviewers, and forum poster to declare that Canon is finally dead and Sony is the new King of Cameras. However it will be a nice Camera that does its job well and will probably still out sell the competition.

Yes, it is unfortunate how the internet media has taken a stance and run with it - influencing so many internet users over the past few years. I feel sorry for those that fall for it, as I did a few years ago. I always make sure I buy cameras from a place that has a no question return policy, so i wasn't burned when I bought my Sony.

As a Canon M5 owner for the past year or so, I have little doubt that Canon's FF mirrorless will be a really good camera, just as the M5 is. I wouldn't trade my M5 for a Sony A7 III, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Quackator said:
Mikehit said:
Quackator said:
They might wait to see what Nikon announces, then decide their answer
and immediately start producing.
So Canon with their huge production capacity can decide /after/ Nikon
drops their pants and still beat them to market.
You really believe they can see what Nikon announces and immediately
change their specifications to challenge it and still beat Nikon to market...?

No, you got me wrong. They for sure have developed and tested several
variations, but they haven't decided which of them to declare their gold
standard. So, with the knowledge about Nikons announcement, they will
be able to decide better. THIS then prompts how to set up manufacturing
lines. Canon is much faster in production preparation and delivers a much
higher output than any other manufacturer. Their new robotic assembly
line adds to their flexibility.

When Nikon announces, this means with deadly accurycy that they have
started producing.

So, if Canon is able to set up the manufacturing fast enough, they will
probably be able to beat Nikon to market with their answer.

They will have researched Nikons options long and deep, and they will
have an escalation route for any of these options. The minute Nikon
drops their pants, Canon will know their answer.

Canon already know their answer. What Nikon announces is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
gmon750 said:
Ryananthony said:
I feel bad for anyone using Canon or Nikon, who want a FF mirrorless. This is proving to take a while.

Oh please. I'm happy and patiently waiting to see what Canon comes up with. You're making it sound our dSLR's are suddenly inoperable and no longer useful. Mirrorless offers INCREMENTAL improvements, and not the end-all-be-all of anything prior. I'm ready to buy a 5DM4 to complement my 5DM3, but since I'm in no rush, I and many others are fine with waiting. We're not like other people that have to have their 15-minute attention-span fulfilled with the next shiny gadget.

I'm happy to see folks like Sony coming in, making their mistakes, and putting out a new camera every year while Canon is making sure their offering is baked right out the gate.

+1

The question is not who gets one out first, it's who manages to have a good mirrorless SYSTEM.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
gmon750 said:
Ryananthony said:
I feel bad for anyone using Canon or Nikon, who want a FF mirrorless. This is proving to take a while.

Oh please. I'm happy and patiently waiting to see what Canon comes up with. You're making it sound our dSLR's are suddenly inoperable and no longer useful. Mirrorless offers INCREMENTAL improvements, and not the end-all-be-all of anything prior. I'm ready to buy a 5DM4 to complement my 5DM3, but since I'm in no rush, I and many others are fine with waiting. We're not like other people that have to have their 15-minute attention-span fulfilled with the next shiny gadget.

I'm happy to see folks like Sony coming in, making their mistakes, and putting out a new camera every year while Canon is making sure their offering is baked right out the gate.

+1

The question is not who gets one out first, it's who manages to have a good mirrorless SYSTEM.

Canon being the incumbent is surely following the second to market strategy. The have been watching Sony's and Nikon's moves and are not in a rush to just put out something.

Furthermore, it seems to me that Canon already has part of their strategy in place. The EF-M system is their standard for small portable APS-C mirrorless. The recent rumor is that they have a new mount system coming out. I would expect that they will find the optimal design for FF mirrorless. Sony fan boys can laugh all they want, but I trust when Canon comes out with their FF mirrorless, Sony will have a hard time competing.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
kkamena said:
infared said:
We'll see........

Funny..so your comment says that we will get a very mediocre camera that will sell well. Just because something sells well does not make it GREAT for your needs. :eek: :D 8)

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
dak723 said:
kkamena said:
infared said:
We'll see........

Yes, it is unfortunate how the internet media has taken a stance and run with it - influencing so many internet users over the past few years. I feel sorry for those that fall for it, as I did a few years ago. I always make sure I buy cameras from a place that has a no question return policy, so i wasn't burned when I bought my Sony.

As a Canon M5 owner for the past year or so, I have little doubt that Canon's FF mirrorless will be a really good camera, just as the M5 is. I wouldn't trade my M5 for a Sony A7 III, that's for sure.

Right now I have an extensive Olympus system for my compact mirrorless needs....and let me tell you...the EM1 II got sooooooo much right....and the system has an EXTENSIVE lens system from many manufacturers....
Canon..um..not so much. ..but I do love my 5DIV and the results that I get...especially for astro work.
Olympus also offer many smaller compact bodies and lenses for when you want to go superlight....Great stuff...
With a few more sensor improvements and that format ....FF will be moot for my needs!

Upvote 0
kkamena said:
infared said:
We'll see........

^This. More specifically, Rishi and the rest of his anti-Canon DPR crew will condescendingly state how Canon finally listened to them, but they're late to the party and hopelessly behind Sony. They will harp on the minuscule dynamic range advantage of the Sony, since that is their fetish, no matter how insignificant the difference is, and how much better value Sony is, completely disregarding Sony lens prices, where it's obvious to everyone but DPR that is where they make their profits.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
infared said:
kkamena said:
infared said:
We'll see........

Funny..so your comment says that we will get a very mediocre camera that will sell well. Just because something sells well does not make it GREAT for your needs. :eek: :D 8)

Just how little English do you understand where "does its job well" means "very mediocre camera "?

If you are going to misquote someone to make a point, maybe better not.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
dak723 said:
infared said:
kkamena said:
infared said:
We'll see........

Just how little English do you understand where "does its job well" means "very mediocre camera "?

If you are going to misquote someone to make a point, maybe better not.

I did not misquote anyone. That is my interpretation of their verbiage.
A "nice" camera. LOL! It's all yours!

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
infared said:
I did not misquote anyone. That is my interpretation of their verbiage.
A "nice" camera. LOL! It's all yours!

Perhaps an example will help to clarify things a little. The 6D and 6D MarkII cameras are somewhat 'mediocre'... they do not have the best dynamic range at low ISO, low noise performance at high ISO, best AF sensor, highest frame rate etc... but they are the bestselling FF DSLRs in Japan (BCNRanking) and USA Amazon website.

Why? Because the cameras do their jobs well. And the system which includes lenses and flash etc works reliably.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Woody said:
Perhaps an example will help to clarify things a little. The 6D and 6D MarkII cameras are somewhat 'mediocre'... they do not have the best dynamic range at low ISO, low noise performance at high ISO, best AF sensor, highest frame rate etc... but they are the bestselling FF DSLRs in Japan (BCNRanking) and USA Amazon website.

Why? Because the cameras do their jobs well. And the system which includes lenses and flash etc works reliably.

Yes. But more importantly: because Canon 6D / 6D II is the most affordable FF camera system available on the market - considering not only body but also interchangeable lenses at affordable prices. Nikon D610 is tarnished and long in the tooth. Sony A7 III is more expensive, and Sony FE lenses are typically far less bang for the buck than comparable or optically superior Canon glass.

If there were mirrorless equivalents by Canon or Nikon or Sony available with a range of similarly affordable lenses (decent consumer grade, "Non-L"), many people would buy those. Especially if the mirrorless system - body plus lenses in most frequently used focal length range - was smaller and lighter than a DSLR system.

re. mediocre: if decent (= a lot better than "mediocre", but not "stellar") and compact FF-sensor mirrorless cameras were available from Canon and Nikon - eg. Nikon D850 or Canon 5D IV functionality, performance and price - more people would buy those today than the DSLR versions. Even if native new mount lens selection was mostly in "roadmap status" and a simple adapter would be needed to continue using EF or F-mount glass.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
fullstop said:
re. mediocre: if decent (= a lot better than "mediocre", but not "stellar") and compact FF-sensor mirrorless cameras were available from Canon and Nikon - eg. Nikon D850 or Canon 5D IV functionality, performance and price - more people would buy those today than the DSLR versions.

That merely shows your personal prejudice, nothing more and nothing less.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Mikehit said:
fullstop said:
re. mediocre: if decent (= a lot better than "mediocre", but not "stellar") and compact FF-sensor mirrorless cameras were available from Canon and Nikon - eg. Nikon D850 or Canon 5D IV functionality, performance and price - more people would buy those today than the DSLR versions.

That merely shows your personal prejudice, nothing more and nothing less.

My opinion: if A7 III and A9 were not Sony cameras with Sony issues but Canon EOS cameras - they'd sell better than 6D II, 5D IV and 1DX II. Unfortunately no way to prove it yet. "Supply side is lacking". :)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Mikehit said:
fullstop said:
My opinion: if A7 III and A9 were not Sony cameras with Sony issues but Canon EOS cameras - they'd sell better than 6D II, 5D IV and 1DX II. :)

Why?
Assume EF mount (which they would have to be).

no. assuming "A7" body in compact size, "A9" body sized as Sony. Both with new native mirrorless mount with a starting lineup of "decent" compact primes and zooms. Plus 2 adapters for existing EF glass, 1 simple extension tube, the other one similar to Sony adapter with pellicle mirror and Phase-AF.

Upvote 0