Northrup on Nikon's current state of affairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tony Northtrup, on the day Nikon announced its 'extraordinary loss', riffed on the state of that business:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uyJVCHDlzU

Eye-rolling banter for the most part, yes, but it was an amusing listen in the background (think of it like a podcast you could have a look at when he said something interesting).

0-16 minutes = How did Nikon get here financially, why is Nikon not really in that much trouble, comments about restructuring, good/bad product development cancellation decisions, etc.

16-35 minutes = ideas for how Nikon could rally with future products:

• VR is lame, IBIS is the way to go (VR makes lenses softer, apparently)
  • He wants EVFs, even in SLRs -- he argues it will eliminate chimping 'because a histogram is in the viewfinder'. ::)
  • Improve video AF
  • "Be cooler" -- he wants a retro styled rig, not a 'dorky tourist camera from the 80s'
  • Pro-quality APS-C lenses to let the D500 be a do-everything camera: shots with FX lenses on DX bodies are softer than on FF bodies
  • Throw out their long-standing SLR interface. He wants cell phone-like interfaces on their cameras -- I largely disagree with this, but he has a fair point that you can't search for an obscure setting anywhere on an SLR like you can search for content (cross-application) on a phone.
  • Truly silent (electronic / MLU) shutters
  • Free updates that are better than vanilla firmware tweaks -- these would be interface upgrades and expansions to functionality to fire up current owners.
  • He's surprised an OVF-centric company doesn't have the great eye detect of other cameras like [lists two mirrorless rigs]. ::)
  • He wants an open ecosystem and apps: "I realize this will take a year to develop"

"Nikon, if you do these things people will be so excited about the cameras. I know you might not make a lot of money right away by giving out free updates but you will build up a community of enthusiasts."

- A

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
  • ahsanford said:
    • Free updates that are better than vanilla firmware tweaks -- these would be interface upgrades and expansions to functionality to fire up current owners.
    • He wants an open ecosystem and apps: "I realize this will take a year to develop"

He would be fun to have cameras that slow down as bloatware accumulates over time, just like it happens with most devices, phones included. And for what? To have some more filters, or the new chat app? Well, Nikon would be happy if users had to replace cameras every two years to have something usable :D

And that's without the security risks a open, connected platform inherently brings.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
  • ahsanford said:

He would be fun to have cameras that slow down as bloatware accumulates over time, just like it happens with most devices, phones included. And for what? To have some more filters, or the new chat app? Well, Nikon would be happy if users had to replace cameras every two years to have something usable :D

And that's without the security risks a open, connected platform inherently brings.

+loads

I love stand alone stuff, embedded gear with no ability be infected with duff software.

End result: It always does what you expect.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't dislike the man, I just dislike it when he wades into more complicated and technical waters and makes either broad simplifications or uses one-off odd pieces of evidence as proof that something is generally so.

That said, I'm sure he's a nice guy. And funny I should bring him up today and only an hour ago he just +1'd me on a PP post, LOL.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 2.02.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 2.02.58 PM.png
    57 KB · Views: 1,227
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
RickSpringfield said:
Always shocked when posters are 'judgy' on the YouTube celebs. Kelby, Northrup, Polin ... they all have interesting content and the courage to put information out into the world.

Anyone who sets himself or herself on a website to be judgmental should expect that they should also be judged. (Judge not, that ye be not judged.....And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Matthew 7:1,3).

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
RickSpringfield said:
Always shocked when posters are 'judgy' on the YouTube celebs. Kelby, Northrup, Polin ... they all have interesting content and the courage to put information out into the world.

Anyone who sets himself or herself on a website to be judgmental should expect that they should also be judged. (And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Matthew 7:3).

In regards to that text I found this an interesting listen: http://www.preachingtoday.com/sermons/sermons/2013/january/passing-judgment.html

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
RickSpringfield said:

Never shocked when posters are tolerant of those that put false, misleading, and flat out wrong information out into the world. But it's sad when posters think that doing so is somehow 'courageous'.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
RickSpringfield said:

Judgy (is that a word?)

How about, how do you feel about misinformation? No matter whom it comes from. Celebrity status or not, you've got to call it when you see it. And why does celebrity status grant you the right to be wrong? Courage? That's weak.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
RickSpringfield said:

Never shocked when posters are tolerant of those that put false, misleading, and flat out wrong information out into the world. But it's sad when posters think that doing so is somehow 'courageous'.

This.

The Northrup videos are unwatchable, especially.

Upvote 0
But how can any of this be? I remember many around here were losing their minds over how Canon was in such trouble because nikon's sensors had such dynamic range. i mean, they were working with sony, and it was end of days for canon.
I guess people on forums don't know everything.

except for neuroanatomist, who just might. good to see he is still regulating this place.
until next, take care...........

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
index.php

Thought AF inconsistencies with Sigma lenses only happen to Canon DSLR bodies.

Looks like it's the same with Nikon bodies too.

Sigh... Sigma lenses can only be used with manual focusing.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Woody said:
index.php

I must be the only person on the planet to have a Sigma Art lens that focuses fast and consistently. Talk about copy variation!

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
slclick said:
Woody said:
index.php

I must be the only person on the planet to have a Sigma Art lens that focuses fast and consistently. Talk about copy variation!

No, I am happy to say you are not alone, as I'm happy with the AF on my Sigma lenses too.

PS I cannot say that for a couple of older Sigma lenses I've owned in the past.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
RickSpringfield said:

Why? Most of them do that for marketing reasons, it increases their visibility, search ranking and thereby their revenues from books, courses, sponsorships, etc. And they may be expert, but certainly not "infallible" :)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
jd7 said:
slclick said:

No, I am happy to say you are not alone, as I'm happy with the AF on my Sigma lenses too.

There are at least 3 of us. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Sigma lens that is dock compatible.

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
jd7 said:
slclick said:

There are at least 3 of us. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Sigma lens that is dock compatible.

I don't think I've ever heard of trouble with the 18-35 1.8. I know folks that have it and they all love it. Even TDP found it quite reliable in their review.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.