Not only Canon Users are hunting for better specs.... ;-) Alpha 7r II dreams

I read this on www.sonyalpharumors.com:
"So just to let you dream a bit …here is what I got and what you don’t have to take seriously for now:"

“Sony has a new global electronic shutter sensor that will be put into our new flagship e-mount camera. The top shutter speed is 1/32000 with flash sync capabilities at that speed.
Sensor resolution will be well above 50MP
It will have In body stabilization like the A7II
A new type of AF will be implemented, it is like DFD from Panasonic but faster.
196 points of autofocus covering 94%
-2 ev af acquisition
faster autofocus than current a6000 CIPA rated
no 4k on this camera
NEW Bionz X2 processor, 70% faster per core (quad core)
no pricing on camera just yet, expected to be $2700-$3000 for body
TWO new lenses will be unveiled: 85mm Zeiss 1.8 with the performance of the 55mm Zeiss. 135-400mm Sony G 5.6 lens. pricing will be $1300 and $2000
Also: a new A mount camera will be announced, the same processor and DFD like AF module will be in the new camera, as well as SLT flip up mirror mechanism..."

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Mar 25, 2011
Someone believes a faster shutter speed gives more resolution? It might improve resolution for sloppy practices that do not get what a camera is capable of. It does not give you more resolution than the sensor is capable of, no matter what the shutter speed.

They also believe that you can take a photo at 1/32000 second in normal light? Are they going to use a f/0.01 lens?

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2010
Generally speaking CDAF is a prefered solution cause it's more precise and no more calibration issues. Don't know that much about the on sensor AF though, it is faster, what about the preciseness?
Unfortunately CDAF requires massive amount of processing power, so PDAF still has its place.
However as processing capabilities tend to increase I have no doubt the CDAF will be better on the new models.

I don't believe Sony goes much higher than 50MP, maybe just as little more as to have the biggest number of all of the 35mm cameras i.e. slightly more than the Canon 5Ds.

Electronic shutter would definitely be nice though I have some doubts if they are able to do it yet for this release.
Not to be skeptical, just maintaining reasonable expectations.

All in all, Sony is definitely interesting to watch, they have a lot of money to spend on sensor r&d and seem to be doing a good business in that area, who knows what they surprise with.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
At least with Sony there is a reasonable hope that they might deliver. With Canon you have dreams but cold porridge in the morning.

This morning, like every morning, I have a camera system from Canon that very effectively meets my needs.

Enjoy your porridge.

+1
Now, if only I could become the photographer that meets my desires

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
e17paul said:
neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
At least with Sony there is a reasonable hope that they might deliver. With Canon you have dreams but cold porridge in the morning.

This morning, like every morning, I have a camera system from Canon that very effectively meets my needs.

Enjoy your porridge.

+1
Now, if only I could become the photographer that meets my desires

+100 ... post of the day!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Flash Sync speed also at 1/32000 ?! WTF? The fastest t1 time on my Einsteins is something like 1/15,000th of a second. How many strobes can do 1/32000th of a second for a burst? At 1/32000 you wouldn't even get the strobe in time! Your strobe has to be faster than your shutter, soooooo..... how's that work? Someone have more insight than I do right now?

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Flash Sync speed also at 1/32000 ?! WTF? The fastest t1 time on my Einsteins is something like 1/15,000th of a second. How many strobes can do 1/32000th of a second for a burst? At 1/32000 you wouldn't even get the strobe in time! Your strobe has to be faster than your shutter, soooooo..... how's that work? Someone have more insight than I do right now?

Not saying you would necessarily use it with flash synce at the maximum shutter speed. But even syncing at anything past mechanical shutters (1/8000th) is useful for some people.

As far as the utility of anything above 1/15000th, it is still useful. With my xt1 with the 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, I routinely get up past 1/15000th and all the way up to 1/32000th in the middle of the day.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
How proud you must be. Hard to believe that you actually use your system given the amount of time you spend lurking on this site.

neuroanatomist said:
Enjoy your porridge.
Don't worry. We will.

Upvote 0
Yes, some strobes like more expensive Metz have partial light output control up to 1/64000. Here is a sample I shot in the darkroom of subsonic .22 caliber smashing tomato on old Canon 8Mp Rebel and Metz flashlight set to 1/32000. It would be cool to be able to do that in daylight, and I can think of thousands other uses for that :)

PureClassA said:

Attachments

• 22CALSUBSONIC2.jpg
    22CALSUBSONIC2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
The fastest t1 time on my Einsteins is something like 1/15,000th of a second.

Airgap or argon flashes are 2-3 orders of magnitude faster. Or, less challenging in the engineering department, LEDs work in single digit microsecond bursts easily.

Also you'd get rid of traveling curtain artifacts independent of the shutter speed, whether it tops out at 1/4000s or 1/32000s doesn't matter, but kill that 1/200s limit.

Upvote 0