Off Brand: Nikon Announces Development of D850

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>MELVILLE, NY (July 25, 2017 at 12:01 A.M. EDT) –</strong>– Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce the development of the next generation full-frame, high-resolution, high-speed digital SLR cameras with the upcoming release of the highly anticipated Nikon D850. This announcement coincides with Nikon’s 100<sup>th</sup> anniversary of its establishment, which is celebrated today.</p>
<p>The D850 will be a formidable tool for creators who will not compromise on exceptional image quality and versatility, including both aspiring and professional photographers as well as hobbyists who capture landscapes, weddings, sports, fashion, commercial imagery and multimedia content creators.</p>
<p>The D850 is the successor to the D810, which has been highly praised by its users for offering extremely sharp and clear rendering, with rich tone characteristics. This powerful new FX-format digital SLR camera is engineered with a range of new technologies, features and performance enhancements that are a direct result of feedback from users, who demand the very best from their camera equipment. The D850 will exceed the expectations of the vast range of photographers that seek the high resolution and high-speed capabilities that only a Nikon of this caliber complemented by NIKKOR lenses can offer.</p>
<p>To learn more about the Nikon D850, please visit <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/d850" target="article-null">nikonusa.com/d850</a>. Information regarding the release of this product will be announced at a later date.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Maximilian said:
[quote author=nikonusa.com/d850]
"The next frontier in full-frame, high-resolution, high-speed digital SLR cameras"
Very promising. I like competition pushing Canon to go further.
[/quote]

Typical marketing mumbo-jumbo. Every manufacturer (be that Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc.) says that about their newest camera in a similar fashion. Until such camera arrives and will be thoroughly reviewed, nobody really knows. Competition is good and desirable, no question about that, but Nikon has to push even harder in the light of losing market share and being in financial troubles. Hopefully, they'll recover and will step on Canon's heel for another decades to come...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And of all the things this market segment of camera needs to hype, 8K timelapse isn't it.

The D810 needs to fuse its own brand line's legacy -- that mythically good sensor -- with the tech overload of the D5/D500 releases.

They 100% can do the latter (4K, immense buffer, anti-flicker, NFC, illuminated keys, etc.). But the former was Sony EXMOR and they (to my knowledge) have never made a sensor that good in-house. It remains to be seen if they can do that themselves or if they have to concede defeat there and buy a 2+ year old A7R II sensor to do it.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
The D850 will exceed the expectations of the vast range of photographers that seek the high resolution and high-speed capabilities that only a Nikon of this caliber complemented by NIKKOR lenses can offer.

Will it exceed the expectations of those who seek a camera that will not be subject to a recall? ;) It's an expectation I have, which Canon failed to meet with my 1D X.

Seriously, I'm sure it will be a good camera, and one that Rishi can stroke lovingly and take to bed with him.

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
ahsanford said:
Rishi's compadre has spoken:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2987209957/ten-things-we-are-hoping-for-from-the-nikon-d850

Not an unreasonable list. It's not like they asked for IBIS or a hybrid VF or anything.

- A

Why the hell would they want XQD slot card? Since Lexar out of the biz, I would expect the prices of XQD to rise steeply. Two UHS-II/III slots would be much more practical IMHO.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ahsanford said:
A teaser for their bread-and-butter pro rig? This isn't the Nikon Df crowd...

Seems very odd. Perhaps between Nikon's ongoing problems and (we presume) an imminent A7 III platform release, Nikon wanted to reassure folks that the good stuff is coming.

- A

Officially announcing the development of an 850D makes it sound to me as though it may be a while before the new camera hits the stores. It also makes it seem as though an update to the 750D is even further away.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Khalai said:
Why the hell would they want XQD slot card? Since Lexar out of the biz, I would expect the prices of XQD to rise steeply. Two UHS-II/III slots would be much more practical IMHO.

If I were DPR, my answer might be: "Because Sony. From Sony flow all things good and innovative."

Even by their standards, that's a head-scratcher. The way it's worded, you'd think XQD is the only and natural successor to the CF card, instead of something akin to Memory Sticks.

In general, an announcement containing essentially no information is hardly exciting. Short of an apocalypse, we knew Nikon would produce a successor to the D810 at some point.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
And of all the things this market segment of camera needs to hype, 8K timelapse isn't it.

The D810 needs to fuse its own brand line's legacy -- that mythically good sensor -- with the tech overload of the D5/D500 releases.

They 100% can do the latter (4K, immense buffer, anti-flicker, NFC, illuminated keys, etc.). But the former was Sony EXMOR and they (to my knowledge) have never made a sensor that good in-house. It remains to be seen if they can do that themselves or if they have to concede defeat there and buy a 2+ year old A7R II sensor to do it.

- A
I would love to have the A7r2 sensor in a Canon.

Upvote 0

Khalai

May 13, 2014
Prague
BeenThere said:
ahsanford said:

- A
I would love to have the A7r2 sensor in a Canon.

Oh man, that would be something indeed. A7rII sensor in a 6D II body with Canon colour science. Let's call it 6DR as for improved DR. Pun absolutely intended :D

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ahsanford said:

They 100% can do the latter (4K, immense buffer, anti-flicker, NFC, illuminated keys, etc.). But the former was Sony EXMOR and they (to my knowledge) have never made a sensor that good in-house. It remains to be seen if they can do that themselves or if they have to concede defeat there and buy a 2+ year old A7R II sensor to do

Unless Nikon can develop its own sensor maybe its future is to become part of Sony, maybe as an upscale brand, like Cadillac within GM, or Lexus within Toyota. It would give Sony a way of competing with Canon in the upscale DSLR market, if they wanted to go in that direction.

Upvote 0
BillB said:
ahsanford said:

They 100% can do the latter (4K, immense buffer, anti-flicker, NFC, illuminated keys, etc.). But the former was Sony EXMOR and they (to my knowledge) have never made a sensor that good in-house. It remains to be seen if they can do that themselves or if they have to concede defeat there and buy a 2+ year old A7R II sensor to do

Unless Nikon can develop its own sensor maybe its future is to become part of Sony, maybe as an upscale brand, like Cadillac within GM, or Lexus within Toyota. It would give Sony a way of competing with Canon in the upscale DSLR market, if they wanted to go in that direction.

Pretty much everybody buys sensors from Sony, Canon included.
Nikon does develop their own sensors and commissions Sony or Toshiba to build them, which is why they are still in business and are able to put out cameras with current / modern sensors, not being tied down to an investment in a particular sensor process.

Upvote 0