Official release of Nikon D850

This camera simply looks amazing on paper for a fantastic price. If I wasn't so invested in the EF mount, it would be on my maybe switch to list along with Sony. I WANT to stay with Canon, but I also want to be making a wise spend of my money.

The 5D IV basically offers DX crop 4K, but not the ability to switch to a DX mode for stills. That sounds like a simple firmware update that could be offered easily. (DX crop on FX has been a feature Nikon lovers have loved for years.)

Other than that, I cannot see how Canon can "compete" on paper against this beast without upping their game. Good luck to Nikon, I hope this competition benefits us all.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
ErlendS said:
If Canon do not see the writing on the wall soon, I do believe that they might become a victim of their own commercial tactics.

Oh, they've seen the writing - they clearly do not place much emphasis on it. As long as you keep buying Canon you are telling them they are doing just fine.

The 5DIV has been out for less than a year, so it is a recent acquisition for you - why do you suddenly feel 'screwed'? Why did you buy into the second best camera in the line-up while knowing it was so pitifully below your requirements? Why did you not buy a Sony with an adapter for Canon lenses? That would have been cheaper than the 5DIV.

I am not being awkward here, but I am genuinely interested in the thinking of someone who so clearly disappointed in Canon as a company yet still buys their gear.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
bsbeamer said:
This camera simply looks amazing on paper for a fantastic price. If I wasn't so invested in the EF mount, it would be on my maybe switch to list along with Sony. I WANT to stay with Canon, but I also want to be making a wise spend of my money.

The 5D IV basically offers DX crop 4K, but not the ability to switch to a DX mode for stills. That sounds like a simple firmware update that could be offered easily. (DX crop on FX has been a feature Nikon lovers have loved for years.)

Other than that, I cannot see how Canon can "compete" on paper against this beast without upping their game. Good luck to Nikon, I hope this competition benefits us all.

They will release the 5DSR II next year, but their market segmentation is different, it will more expensive and more specialized (so probably even more megapixels but not as much features).

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
oh, many and many. Canon label means also reliability, quality of workmanship, first rate support, usability, colour magic and resale value going forward. this sets two brands apart for people that value mid to long term benefits of a system the most.

BeenThere said:
How many of us would have purchased this camera if it had a Canon label on it rather than Nikon.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty happy with my camera setup (5DM4, 5DSR, 1DX) but of course this is going to be a great camera , not just on paper. Glad for the Nikon shooters they continue to get fine cameras too. I would even buy/try one , just to have both worlds, but the cost of additional decent glass just prevents me from doing so. The only thing that pisses me off really is the price politics of Canon recently. The announced pricing for the D850 is 3799 Euro while the new 5DM4 was above 4000 Euro and even now sells at 3899 Euro from camera stores here. I think the D850 has some features that make it a more enhanced/complete camera , well it's newer. But none of the features really make's me thinking about selling my Canon stuff, just the pricing these days is not fair on the Canon side.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I agree with others who noted that Nikon is going all out on D850 with price set on the verge of desperation.
Survival mode comes to mind. I recon they sell this camera $500 short at the very least. I would say that if it was priced at $3799, it still sells just fine.

ykn123 said:
....just the pricing these days is not fair on the Canon side.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
He did say 2021 though..... Basically too little to late to the point that it stays outdated
Mikehit said:
Mancubus said:
As I said on another thread, Canon will answer this. Oh yeah, in 2021 with a 5D Mark V with:

- 36 Megapixels, with a mandatory AA filter so you don't get all the sharpness
- Some improved video, but some last century codec to screw you
- 8 fps (as long as the battery is full or almost)
- No BSI sensor, who would need that?
- No stabilised sensor too
- an ancient regular SD slot
- Some super innovative feature like the dual pixel raw that does absolutely nothing usable
- No AF auto adjustment, if you're missing focus it's your fault, never the camera/lens

MAYBE we get a tilting screen and focus stacking...MAYBE

Canon didn't see my money with the 5D4 and with the way things are going I might still keep my 5D3 for a very long time.

I'd make the move today if I could trade my gear for equivalent Nikon lenses and flashes without losing too much money.

You mean 7fps to compete with Nikon's 'astounding' 7fps or...wait for it...9fps if you spend another $500?
No stabilised sensor when Nikon doesn't have it either?
No Auto adjustment when Nikon has one that no-one finds useful? And where does Canon say 'miss focus its your fault' when they build in AFMA?
Dual pixel raw that does nothing useful but everyone says is great for video?

As for in-camera bracketing - they have not only bought in Sony's sensors but it is looking like they have also bought into Sony's ethos of 'throw in all these fancy things that very few people will use and wow people with the spec sheet' in an attempt to recover dropping market share.

I am not saying the new camera is not looking good (it really is) but impact on the market is yet to be seen n posts like yours are more about gear envy than what is actually useful. The fact you are not willing to take the hit on selling your Canon gear shows how important these features are in the grand scheme of things - but if you are so pessimistic about Canon's future, if you look at the added enjoyment you will get from owning Nikon over so many years is surely worth it.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yall say this but competition in specs doesnt motivate Canon it is sales.
Hector1970 said:
Looks like a good camera.
The betterthe competitors are the more Canon need to respond. I see this as good in the long run. I don't I'll ever switch to Nikon so I need Canon to stay motivated and improving. (Sony are more tempting they are really improving their frame rate on that new camera. Just lacking the long lens to go with it yet but they are probably in the pipeline. I'm not a great fan of the 7DII. I do a lot of sport and frame rate is a huge asset. 20 FPS would capture a lot of amazing action shots. 10 FPS is good but not fast enough to capture all the action.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
SecureGSM said:
I agree with others who noted that Nikon is going all out on D850 with price set on the verge of desperation.
Survival mode comes to mind. I recon they sell this camera $500 short at the very least. I would say that if it was priced at $3799, it still sells just fine.

How you know desperate?

How everyone know D850 "cheap"?

Canon staff discount is 33%. What 5D4 price look like minus 33%?

If D850 price make 5D4 price lower, who complain? Anyone?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
RayValdez360 said:
He did say 2021 though..... Basically too little to late to the point that it stays outdated

SO you are saying Nikon will have another D8xx model before 2021?
He criticsed Canon attitude as 'if you are missing focus it is your fault, yet Canon have AFMA in their cmaeras already so clearly they do not think that. And the auto-AFMA Nikon have is well known as unreliable enough to be little more than a gimmick.
He claimed dual pixel is useless - yet every review says it is not.

So even if the Canon stays as it does until 2021 (which was a massive assumption), unless you think Nikon will have a new D8xx body before 2021 the gap will remain what it is now. i.e. not very much.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
snoke said:
Mikehit said:
It looks like it is cheaper than the 5D4 but is $200 really that significant?

How much beer you buy for $200?

Price of D850 + memory cards = price of 5D4
etc.

Do I wish the 5D4 were $200 less? Sure. But why stop at $200 - why not £400, or $1,000. In which case the D850 is overpriced.

If the price difference is not enough to make people switch, it is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Upvote 0
My hope is that Canon DOES feel lots of heat from dragging their feet and decides to compete in the market on more than their market share alone. I have a big investment in Canon glass and I cannot tell you how thrilled I would be if Canon would create a body as compelling as the D850 for landscapes, studio work, and occasional action shooting. For now, I have stopped investing in the Canon EOS system as I can get buy with my trusty 6D and have most of the lenses I need, although a good wide zoom was in my purchase plans until recently. I do occasionally rent other lenses, and even the 1DX II for special action occasions, from my local shop.

Nobody has come out with my dream camera yet -- the D850 gets much closer with IQ and speed combo, along with electronic shutter option, if it lives up to it's promises (and I think odds are that it will). But I would still like hardware OTIS and the now-unfounded rumors of the hybrid EVF really had me salivating. Always thought I would hate EVFs until I used a really good one for a day last fall (A7R II), and had a chance to play with the great one in the A9 recently. For those that have not tried a good one, I highjly recommend checking one out -- not only can you get a much better idea of exposure without relying on the LCD screen, but you can also chimp and change any camera setting (assuming the camera maker has it's act together) without removiung the camera from your eye. I don't know if I'm ready to abandon OVF altogether -- a hybrid would be perfect. I would email Canon my bank account numbers if they came out with a body with the capabilities of the D850, or perhaps even better with a DSLR with the capabilities of the A99II.

I *don't* want to switch systems, mainly because of my lens investments and my happiness with Canon ergonomics. But I do hope Canon wakes up and stops being happy following the pack on many aspects that affect the photography experience, namely IQ and tech that makes gathering difficult images more possible and less inconvenient. I have tasted the other tech, and they provide very useful advantages that sadly Canon seems to ignore.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
smithcon said:
But I do hope Canon wakes up and stops being happy following the pack on many aspects that affect the photography experience, namely IQ and tech that makes gathering difficult images more possible and less inconvenient. I have tasted the other tech, and they provide very useful advantages that sadly Canon seems to ignore.

And so continues the meme.
So many people assume the only developments that matter are pixels and DR. I would argue the other direction - how can Sony be so incompetent as a designer to give us a camera with ergonomics that even many Sony owners say is far from ideal. Surely it is easier to develop a decent interface than it is to design and build a new type of sensor. As for making a camera aimed at sports and wildlife and yet not deliver a range of zooms those photographers find most useful. And aiming for that market with a pitiful after sales service...that is a bigger failure than anything Canon commit by tnot including 4k.

The sensors in the 5D4 and 1Dx2 are so close to the Sony/Nikon in real terms as to be not a differentiator in practical terms for all but the most demanding photographers.

For me, Canon have got their priorities right. Others disagree. But to say they are 'happy following the pack' is facile.

Upvote 0