Opinion: EF 24-70 f/4L IS & EF 35 f/2 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first when I saw the 24-70 f/4L rumor it made no sense to me with a very good 24-105 f/4L in the lineup. Who would buy a lens that is basically the same as an existing lens but with a shorter focal length?

After reading some of the posts in this thread, I can see the value of the 24-70 f/4 IS. The close MFD, near macro capabilities, size & weight, and better optics. Fair enough.

However, it seems everyone is just accepting as fact that Canon will discontinue the 24-105 f/4 IS - but no one is giving any logical reason for this except canon wants to replace it with something more expensive. I don't see it as a replacement to the 24-105 f/4, so I'm not buying it. If Canon wanted to bump up the price of the kit lens they could introduce a mark II of the 24-105 f/4L and price it up a few hundred dollars.

I do not agree that Canon will discontinue the 24-105 f/4 because they introduce the 24-70 f/4.
- Canon has proven they are willing to keep lenses in the line up for decades. The 24-105 is a great lens and has a lot of life left in it just as it is. They may choose to leave it as is for a while. That is different than discontinuing it.

- Canon has no problem with maintaining 4 versions of the 70-200 in the lineup, and 3 versions of the 50mm. Similar lenses that have differences & different price points can all co-exist.

- Canon needs afordable quality lenses in their line up - much of the L line up is getting out of reach price-wise for a big part of the market. The 24-105 f/4L is a great value at a price point that is starting to appear "affordable" vs. the rest of the L lineup.

- We don't know pricing yet, but it is likely that the price of the 24-70 f/4L will be several hundred dollars above the 24-105 f/4L if Canon follows recent pricing practices.

Perhaps the L Kit lens becomes the 24-70 f/4L and replaces the 24-105 f/4L.

I haven't heard a convincing argument for Canon to discontinue the 24-105L. Maybe Craig has inside info he can't share. Or perhaps someone here can provide some logical reasons for the 24-105L to go away?

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

papa-razzi said:
Canon has no problem with maintaining 4 versions of the 70-200 in the lineup, and 3 versions of the 50mm. Similar lenses that have differences & different price points can all co-exist.
I agree, I don't think they will discontinue the 24-105/4L, especially if the new 24-70/4L is more expensive. They actually offer 4 versions of the 50mm if you count the 50/2.5 compact macro.

Upvote 0
This is what I feel about 24-70 F4 IS.

Unlike the existing 24-105 F4IS, 24-70 F4 IS should have an internal focusing system. If it does, then it makes a good choice over 24-105.

Existing 24-105 does not have an internal focusing system making it difficult to use with polarizer and it is aways possible to change the focal point while you adjust the polarizer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tvs said:
Existing 24-105 does not have an internal focusing system making it difficult to use with polarizer and it is aways possible to change the focal point while you adjust the polarizer.

Which 24-105mm lens are you using, and if it's the Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, when/how did you break your copy? My copy, like all proprely working copies, is internal focusing, and the front element does not rotate with focusing or zoom extension. Using a CPL in no problem - the extending portion of the barrel does not rotate at all.

Upvote 0
spinworkxroy said:
Canon is confusing me..
Why would they make the 24-70 f4?
The 24-105 has no rivals…and if they ever discontinue that, it would be a waste..they should improve it and release a ver 2.

The 24-70 f4 is supposed to be a 6D kit and if it's alot better than the 24-105, then why would anyone buy a 5D3 kit with the 25-105 then?
Whatever the price, the 2.8 version is at least 2x more expensive…i hope this brings down the price of the 2.8 version.

I really can't understand Canon's logic with this new lens…then maybe the new 5D3 will also come with this kit and it will be more expensive than the 24-105kit :) Good enough reason to make more $$

Smaller + Lighter, that's the way Canon is moving

Upvote 0
Springf said:
From the trend, I feel that Canon will slowly update all its entry primes with IS

I could see that in 1~2 years time there will be 50 f/1.4 f/1.8 IS, 85 f/1.8 IS, 100 f/2 IS

and I wonder that if they will put 135 f/2 L on IS too.

It seems from practically all responses on multiple threads on CR that IS is certainly in demand from consumers, so you could be right about future developments. If you are, then it will take the pressure off higher ISO levels as more people will be shooting at slower shutter speeds in available light thanks to image stabilization.

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
...then ditch the 1.8...

Thankfully Canon doesn't take only you into account when marketing lenses

ablearcher said:
I guess I'll pass with both of these...

However, if priced right (compared to existing 24-105L and 35L), these two lenses could get a lot of interest from those who are just getting into the L territory along with 6D purchase.

+1 on both counts

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Springf said:
From the trend, I feel that Canon will slowly update all its entry primes with IS

I could see that in 1~2 years time there will be 50 f/1.4 f/1.8 IS, 85 f/1.8 IS, 100 f/2 IS

and I wonder that if they will put 135 f/2 L on IS too.

They started at the wrong end - they should have started at the 135 and worked their way down through the 100 and 85 first. The 24 and 28 were the least interesting of the bunch.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Worth noting - the 24-70/4 IS is almost a true macro lens.

If those specs are true, a 0.7x max mag of the 24-70/4 is pretty darn close to a true 1:1 macro, and much higher than any other non-macro lens in the lineup (the 24-105 is 0.3x, 24-70 is 0.29x, 24-70 II is 0.21x). It's even higher than the 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro. The use of H-IS would be consistent with that high max mag (the only other lens that has it is the 100L Macro, but PowerShots also have H-IS since they have very close MFDs).

So, this lens is a combination general purpose zoom and near-macro lens, something nonexistent in the current lineup. For people who like to shoot close ups (flowers, jewelry, etc.) this is like getting two lenses in one.
I use my 24-105mmL for product photography, and its mfd is not as close as I'd like. Since the camera is bolted to a heavy table, the IS doesn't come into play, but mfd does.
I have the 100L, and I like the longer working distance, so its not likkely to go away.
I can see a 2 lens travel combination of 24-70 f/4 and 70-300L being pretty handy.

Upvote 0
Great marketing by canon.

Take away reach to get users to buy a telephoto lens and make it slow so you have to
eventually go buy a flash or a faster lens.

Canon setting the LBA trap for its next generation of customers.

Judging by some comments on pricing i think the 35MM be the most expensive canon lens to sport a silver ring?

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Zlatko said:
symmar22 said:
Amen, finally a replacement to the embarrassing prehistoric EF 35mm.
I'm very glad Canon is updating the 35/2! This update is long overdue. It will be wonderful to have a small, quiet, high-quality 35 — I'm assuming it will be high quality. I hope the 50/1.4 is next on the list of updates.
+1 ;)
Or even a good 50mm f/2 USM (with IS hopefully!) would make me happy.....

The more I think about it, I do see a 50mm fast prime with USM and hopefully also IS coming up within the next 12 to 18 months..., probably sooner? A fast 50mm on a FF would be helpful for video (not that I'd use it for that.. ) I want to use is on my 7D as an equivalent 80mm fast prime....

The macro capability of the 24-70mm f/4 USM IS is a definitely bonus, and I don't underestimate how difficult that was to implement an almost 1:1 on a zoom lens like that.

But on a FF, 70mm is too short for me.... I like at least equivalent of 120mm in my walk-around lens (horses for courses). That's why the 15-85mm on my 7D is so handy, covers the focal range that I want (equiv: 24 - 136mm) in a '1 lens travel solution' - while having great IQ across the range!

I'm sure many FF users (eg 6D camera purchases) will snap up the 24-70mm f/4 USM IS, particularly if it has great IQ. It would make a great budget(ish) 'travel landscape zoom' with the 6D.

Paul

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
neuroanatomist said:
Worth noting - the 24-70/4 IS is almost a true macro lens.

If those specs are true, a 0.7x max mag of the 24-70/4 is pretty darn close to a true 1:1 macro, and much higher than any other non-macro lens in the lineup (the 24-105 is 0.3x, 24-70 is 0.29x, 24-70 II is 0.21x). It's even higher than the 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro. The use of H-IS would be consistent with that high max mag (the only other lens that has it is the 100L Macro, but PowerShots also have H-IS since they have very close MFDs).

So, this lens is a combination general purpose zoom and near-macro lens, something nonexistent in the current lineup. For people who like to shoot close ups (flowers, jewelry, etc.) this is like getting two lenses in one.
I use my 24-105mmL for product photography, and its mfd is not as close as I'd like. Since the camera is bolted to a heavy table, the IS doesn't come into play, but mfd does.
I have the 100L, and I like the longer working distance, so its not likkely to go away.
I can see a 2 lens travel combination of 24-70 f/4 and 70-300L being pretty handy.

On the mfd side, this is where you may hit issues with the 24-70 f/4L IS USM:
According to dpreview.com:
This all looks great in paper, but in practice things are a little more complicated, because the working distance in macro mode ends up being only about 3cm / 1.2" from the front of the lens to the subject. At this point, you're shooting an image area of about 51mm x 34mm (2" x 1.3") using a lens with a front diameter of 83mm (3.3"), which might make lighting your subject relatively difficult.

Details are at: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-ef-24-70mm-f4l-is-usm/2

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.