Patent: A sensor protection assembly for a small form factor RF mount ILC

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update on this patent translation from Canon News:
Every now and then we post a patent application and make mistakes on assumptions with the Japanese translations.  This is one of those times, as noted to us, this patent application is not a shutter assembly but another assembly that Canon is looking at simply covering the sensor without using the delicate shutter (or in the case of cameras with global shutters).
We will strive to do better than we apologize for the mischaracterization and reporting on the patent application.
Canon News has uncovered a detailed patent showing what looks to be a compact shutter assembly for a small form factor RF mount camera.
This shutter assembly is extremely small, and Canon News thinks...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Why still use a mech. Shutter for a cheap entry level ILC? Get rid of it. Forever! And save the bucks.

Maybe a professional camera may need a shutter until technology is ready but a smallish camera like this? No way.
Avoiding rolling shutter in stills is one reason.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
No EVF, no sale.
I’m with you on that. But so many people today have only ever used smartphone screens that I don’t think it would really hurt sales of an entry level $799 R-body camera. I personally find it uncomfortable to hold a body/telephoto lens out in front of me to view the live screen. And not very stable either. No EVF is probably fine for the video creators, who are the fast-expanding market.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Chris Jankowski

6DII + various lenses, 200D + 15-85
Jul 27, 2013
Why still use a mech. Shutter for a cheap entry level ILC? Get rid of it. Forever! And save the bucks.

Maybe a professional camera may need a shutter until technology is ready but a smallish camera like this? No way.
Electronic shutter necessitates more powerful and faster electronics by the nature of how it works. This cost more money and may eat up any savings from elimination of the mechanical shutter.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
If cheaper full frame RF mount is to be the replacement of APS-C with Canon, why would it be so? Has Canon found that APS-C wouldn't be profitable anymore? Potential Eos m users simply using the more and more advanced computational photography on their phones, with the different focal length lenses that are being added? Is it because fujifilm has got that segment covered and they don't want to compete there? While fujifilm themselves are reducing their digital imaging manufacturing. https://fstoppers.com/gear/fuji-refocuses-away-photography-570640
Does Canon see there aren't pros looking for APS-C cameras anymore? Or does it see that the possibility of producing cheaper telephoto lenses with slower aperture negates the need for an RF APS-C system?

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Because a lot of people like to use flash.
There are plenty of options for those who want flash, and who worry about electronic shutter effects and everything else.

This would seem to be an entry level camera for low cost and small size.

that’s a market segment that is probably large but virtually unrepresented by those who participate here.
Except for people like me looking for a compact alternative to their R5 for pocketing occasionally, travel, while having the ability to share any lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
It is used to protect the sensor when changing the lens in the new bodies. I wouldn't think that it would save much money, in which case I would like to see them keep it on all bodies going forward.
Not true. They do that in some cameras but they didn't in the RP they said they did it because they didn't want people sticking their finger in the shutter and harming it. Canon saying if you can't afford a $5000 camera you must be stupid.

Upvote 0