Canon Patent Application: New Composite element for a RF 50mm F1.4

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Given the size and new composite material outlined in this lens patent I would expect Canon to have it introduced as a 50mm 1.4 L IS much akin to the ef 85mm 1.4 L IS.

That said, whatever happened to that 600mm f4 DO BR L IS lens they had a prototype of? The dimensions looked super svelte when they showed it in 2015.
When I look at the patent, I don't see an IS element.
With IS the formula would be different, and maybe even longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The lenses where they used composites (remember “blue goo?”) were fantastic quality. Miss the EF 35 f/1.4 II. I do wonder if that lens today has same image quality versus the new composite. As many plastics cloud over long periods. I’m guessing they’re figured that out and it’s not an issue.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
When I look at the patent, I don't see an IS element.
With IS the formula would be different, and maybe even longer.
That is good to know, thanks. I don't look at patents enough to tell the difference between regular lens elements and IS element. That lens without IS is quite long indeed.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
The lenses where they used composites (remember “blue goo?”) were fantastic quality. Miss the EF 35 f/1.4 II. I do wonder if that lens today has same image quality versus the new composite. As many plastics cloud over long periods. I’m guessing they’re figured that out and it’s not an issue.
Since the EF 35mm 1.4 L II came out in 2015 and I have not found people complaining about reduced optical quality over time, I think it is safe to say Canon has figured out how to keep the BR element stable. Given how well it corrects for CA, I am surprised that they have only used it in 2 (3 if you count the 600mm prototype) lenses to date. Surely BR costs less to deploy than artificial fluorite lens elements in which 39 lenses currently use?

I would also guess that this new composite resin may be a BR derivative in which they have found a way to harden into an aspherical half element to combine with a glass other half.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am guessing this would be an L lens as opposed to the RF 24-240 f/4-6.3
But it's a step back from 28-300L. Missing that 200-300mm is a lot.

Imho 24-240 is too big, if this 28-200 turns into reality. It'll be quite nice. Since my Tamron 28-200 is pretty much a 28-105/f2.8-4 with 105-200/f4-f5.6 as a bonus.

Upvote 0
I would really like to have a 50mm F/1.4 no heavier than the 85 F/2, sharper than the RF 50 F/1.8, it doesn't have to be perfect all the way to the extreme corners, maybe as sharp like the EF 40 F/2.8 pancake lens, for say $600. The RF F/1.2 is too big, too heavy and too expensive for a carry around lens to get you out of trouble when the 24-70 isn't fast enough. The 28-70 is too big, too heavy and too expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0