Canon Patent Application: New Composite element for a RF 50mm F1.4

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In this patent application (JP2024-039231), Canon discusses a new element composition, which is a resin element attached to a glass element to form a unique composite element. This element’s goal is to help reduce lens size and also decrease aberrations. They have included some very interesting embodiments including one that has reached near-mythical proportions in

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 215583
I really wanted to put this in the article, but apparently, it's copyrighted until around 2070 - can you believe it?
Similar to the Mickey Mouse copyright where life of the author plus 70 years to a max of 94 years.
Steamboat Willy is now public domain

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... Dare to dream 50mm F1.4 fans. ...
Looks like a quite big lens (total length 113.51) so wouldn't put my money on a "midrange" but on a smaller "L" with price according to the L.

Since Peanuts is copyrighted until 2070 (really?), you'll just have to imagine poor Charlie Brown once again trying to kick the football from Lucy. But it does actually look like a serious optical design, so here's hoping.
Maybe the Peanuts copyright is until 2070 because they know we'll have to wait that long? ;) :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon RF 28-200mm F2.8-5.6

So Canon finally make up their minds and decide to replicate the Tamron/Sigma popular lineup in E-mount.

All the need is put a faster STM motor and this will be my daily lens. I will pick this over 24-105L f4
I am guessing this would be an L lens as opposed to the RF 24-240 f/4-6.3

Upvote 0
The 1.4 50 is similar to the EF-M 32 in terms of 14/8 construction and roughly the placement of lenses/groups ( see https://faq.canon.jp/euf/assets/cmj/ef/94/94836/lens-construction.png ) .
A good candidate to replace my RF 35 1.8 if it has sth. like 1:4 maximum reproduction ratio and the pristine quality of the EF-M 32 which is a gorgeous lens.

Upvote 0
Looks like a quite big lens (total length 113.51) so wouldn't put my money on a "midrange" but on a smaller "L" with price according to the L.

Maybe the Peanuts copyright is until 2070 because they know we'll have to wait that long? ;) :p
The RF 50 F1.2 isn't even that long. If the use of the composite is supposed to, among other things, reduce lens size (as claimed), why would a 50 F1.4 be longer than the 50 F1.2? The 1.2 is an amazing lens, but also really big. I have two 50s (the 1.8 and the 1.2), so I wouldn't be interested in a third anyway, but I would hope that a 1.4 would be inbetween the 1.8 and 1.2 in size, not bigger than both.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I very badly want a compact 50mm f/1.4 in native RF mount. Obviously, this design doesn't exactly fit that description with its length! haha If any of these designs or iterations were to hit the market, I think they're all very interesting.

Upvote 0
Most patents never become lenses, sorry, but I would not recommend getting your hopes up.
And Canon prides themselves on getting a huge number of patents per year, so they probably have more never used patents than other companies.

"Canon Places Fifth in U.S. Patent Rankings, Achieving Top Spot Among Japanese Companies for 38 Years Running"

- Title of Canon USA press release

Upvote 0
Meaning the actual lens would be ~94mm long because patent lengths are front element to sensor.
Still "pretty big" — not that I think it's a bad thing, but my Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art is 108mm long, including the mount. I suppose this could have very well corrected optics, maybe L-grade.

I doubt we'll see a RF 50mm f/1.4 anytime soon, though...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The RF 50 F1.2 isn't even that long. ...
Length comparison (mechanically):
RF 50/1.2: 108,0 mm
RF 50/1.8: 40,5 mm
EF 50/1.4: 50.5 mm + ~20 mm adapter
This patent: ~93,5 mm
RF 85/2.0: 90.5 mm
Meaning the actual lens would be ~94mm long because patent lengths are front element to sensor.
I was aware of the 20 mm flange distance, and I even thought about adding that to my post.
But thank you for pointing that out.

If designing a "midrange" 50/1.4 without IS I would expect Canon to look for a significantly shorter lens (because of no IS) than the RF85/2.0 IS to partner that.
I would expect a length (mechanically) at maximum close to the EF 50/1.4+Adapter, maybe slightly longer. But hopefully much smaller.
In comparison, this patent seems to be quite big, just about 1 cm shorter than that f/1.2 giant.
So I came to the conclusion that this is not the "midrange" 50/1.4 wanted by some/many/me or @LSXPhotog.
I very badly want a compact 50mm f/1.4 in native RF mount. Obviously, this design doesn't exactly fit that description with its length!...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Length comparison (mechanically):
RF 50/1.2: 108,0 mm
RF 50/1.8: 40,5 mm
EF 50/1.4: 50.5 mm + ~20 mm adapter
This patent: ~93,5 mm
RF 85/2.0: 90.5 mm

I was aware of the 20 mm flange distance, and I even thought about adding that to my post.
But thank you for pointing that out.

If designing a "midrange" 50/1.4 without IS I would expect Canon to look for a significant shorter lens (because of no IS) than the RF85/2.0 IS to partner that.
I would expect a length (mechanically) at maximum close to the EF 50/1.4+Adapter, maybe slightly longer. But hopefully much smaller.
In comparison, this patent seems to be quite big, just about 1 cm shorter than that f/1.2 giant.
So I came to the conclusion that this is not the "midrange" 50/1.4 expected by some/many/me or @LSXPhotog.
Given the size and new composite material outlined in this lens patent I would expect Canon to have it introduced as a 50mm 1.4 L IS much akin to the ef 85mm 1.4 L IS.

That said, whatever happened to that 600mm f4 DO BR L IS lens they had a prototype of? The dimensions looked super svelte when they showed it in 2015.

Upvote 0