Patent: Canon universal battery grip

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
I think grip design could be carried a big step further. Imagine an optical port that would feed data from the bus that goes to the in camera card slots and links to the grip. In the grip are not only batteries, but a number of card slots that could double or triple available card memory without having to shut down and replace cards.
Another possibility is a Video Processing grip that would solve the in camera head buildup. The technology exists, it's just a matter of design.
May I say... "Canon Processing Power / Memory Card Expansion Attachment Grip EAG-01"?
You might actually contact Canon on this one, it seems quite viable.

Upvote 0
I wonder how Canon can patent this given that Olympus has already done this with production cameras? Canon alterations from Oly design are "obvious to anyone skilled in the art."

The Oly OMD-EM5 battery grip comes as two pieces - an adapter plate with improved hand grip but no battery and a battery pack that attaches to it. Adapter can be used by itself if all one needs is a better hand grip. Battery remains in camera body.

The Oly EM5 Mark II uses a different adapter/hand grip but the same battery pack as the Mark I. All are weather sealed.

Difference w/Canon patent is Oly uses a connector on camera body rather than using protrusion into the battery compartment. Two batteries on Canon battery pack, one on Oly (other battery remains in the camera body). No Oly adjustment for tripod attachment point.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I wonder why there was never a grip extension for the R like the RP. I thought it was a great product, hands come in many sizes you know.

The RP does not have a battery grip so it’s grip extension is a way to sell you a lesser version of a battery grip. Once you get a battery grip on a camera it feels more at home in the hand and balances better with anything over 200mm plus.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The RP does not have a battery grip so it’s grip extension is a way to sell you a lesser version of a battery grip. Once you get a battery grip on a camera it feels more at home in the hand and balances better with anything over 200mm plus.
I disagree to a certain point. The standard battery grip has a portrait/landscape orientation hold function the grip extension does not. The extension is just a little bit of purchase added for larger hands.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
Give up on profits? Nah. Make a low cost adapter and charge a nice margin. R&D costs for a one time universal battery grip that they don’t need to redesign for every new camera body and charge the same for this grip as for all their body specific grips. A lot more profit in this model.

If the electronic interface is the same (a universal adapter wouldn't work otherwise), making a new camera-specific grip is just a matter of reshaping the plastic, a quick & cheap job.

Upvote 0