Patent: Focal reducers for RF cinema applications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a Canon patent showing off some focal reducers in their latest round of patents.
This patent is for RF mount Cinema cameras that would reduce the focal length of full-frame lenses on Super35 image sensors. These are not for EOS R cameras and certainly not for EOS M cameras.
The lens used for the embodiments is a 50mm f/1.4 full-frame EF mount lens.  The total lens length in the embodiments will show the 50mm lens as well as the focal plane distance which is 20mm, plus the reducer.
Canon Mirrorless Reduced 40mm F1.1

Focal length 40.14mm
F-number 1.13
Half-angle 20.24°
Image height 14.80mm
Lens Overall length 93.90mm
BF 11.81mm

Canon Mirrorless Reduced 35mm F1.0

Focal length 36.54mm
F-number 1.03
Half-angle 22.05°
Image height 14.80mm
total lens length 91.95mm
BF 10.70mm

Canon Mirrorless Reduced 32mm F.95

Focal length 33.45mm
F-number 0.94
Half angle of...

Continue reading...

Sep 29, 2018
This is an odd one. This adapter won't help them sell more RF lenses. So it they are going to make money it has to be selling S-35 bodies but we are continuously bombarded with messages that S-35 is over and Canon is moving to FF & Vistavision. Those rumors would seem to be exaggerated but I really wish Canon would produce a Fing road map so I can buy with confidence.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
This is an odd one. This adapter won't help them sell more RF lenses. So it they are going to make money it has to be selling S-35 bodies but we are continuously bombarded with messages that S-35 is over and Canon is moving to FF & Vistavision. Those rumors would seem to be exaggerated but I really wish Canon would produce a Fing road map so I can buy with confidence.
I don’t see Canon ditching s35 any time soon. Going FF on all their Cinema range would totally screw up their product range unless they purposely start crippling cameras to distinguish product lines.

The adapters look like a Canon way of keeping S35 current for years to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
This is an odd one. This adapter won't help them sell more RF lenses.
Canon sells the C70 - a cinema camera with RF mount and S35 sensor. Seems to me like an indication Canon expects to sell RF lenses to cinema market, even if low end (the body is priced at $5,500) at this time.

So it they are going to make money it has to be selling S-35 bodies but we are continuously bombarded with messages that S-35 is over and Canon is moving to FF & Vistavision. Those rumors would seem to be exaggerated but I really wish Canon would produce a Fing road map so I can buy with confidence.
I think it would make sense for Canon to keep making low end cinema equipment with RF mount.

Upvote 0