Patent: The Canon vlogging camera appears in another patent

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I reported earlier this month that Canon would make an EF-M related announcement in 2021, even after telling you about the imminent demise of the EOS M system in its current form.
Canon News has uncovered another patent for this new camera from Canon.
The latest patent showcases a lock that prevents the device from moving around when you are replacing lenses. The mount is likely for EF-M lenses.
There have been at least 9 patents related to this camera device since December. You can check a few of them here, here and...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Okay, so if EF-M's future is going to tackle more vlogging, can we get an EF-M 16mm f1.4? How about a 10mm f2?
A 15 f/2 and 10 or 11 f/2.8 would likely be much smaller and preferable. I own the Sigma 16 f/1.4 and it is excellent, but it also is the largest of their f/1.4 Trio.

Upvote 0

Bernie

CR Pro
Dec 28, 2020
A hand-held vlogging camera is an ideal (from a business sense) evolution of the EF-M lens lineup. The EF-M lenses are compact, lightweight, and inexpensive -- exactly what you'd want in a vlogging camera that would often be held with a single extended arm.

This will maximize continued revenue from the existing EF-M lens lineup, with minimal demand for additional development. More importantly, it does not cannibalize the RF lens lineup. I do NOT expect Canon to develop new large-aperture EF-M lenses for this application.

I DO expect Canon will develop and release a compact, lightweight, FISHEYE lens. This is the one lens missing from the EF-M lineup that would make sense for vlogging. I expect Canon's product roadmap will steer existing EF-M camera users toward RF-S cameras and lenses that physically fit the RF mount.

Upvote 0
if they bring a nice 11mm lens with that in built led light ring that the macro lens has in the EF-M range then would be awesome but needs to be weather proof to be useable as so many great gimbals like the dji om 4 which are all great options. But weather proof is the only area all the gimbals fail in and if its just a lens then surely this could be why they have gone this route?

Upvote 0