Patent: Very small large aperture zoom lens optical formulas

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Your math is wrong. The diameter of the FF image circle is ~43.2mm, and the image height for a FF image circle is ~21.6mm (not coincidentally, the image height at the longer focal lengths of the lenses in these patents is 21.64mm).
My math was right, it’s my typing that was wrong! 21.6 mm, agreed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
So why is this important to the average consumer? Not as if someone is going to manufacture or 3D a lens. Besides it is one of hundreds if not thousands of Canon patents.
If you dislike rumors, perhaps you should not visit rumor sites. This stuff doesn't have to be important. It is okay if it is simply interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Canon’s goal in this patent​

To provide a zoom lens having a short total length and a small size but having high optical performance, and an image pickup apparatus having the same.
Mystified and amused by the terminology... :unsure:

How can the "image pickup apparatus" (presumably the camera sensor) have the "same" (i.e. a short total length, small size and high optical performance?

Something has been lost in the translation here - if they are not referring to the sensor, what exactly do they mean by "image pickup apparatus"?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Canon’s goal in this patent​

Mystified and amused by the terminology... :unsure:

How can the "image pickup apparatus" (presumably the camera sensor) have the "same" (i.e. a short total length, small size and high optical performance?

Something has been lost in the translation here - if they are not referring to the sensor, what exactly do they mean by "image pickup apparatus"?
Image pickup apparatus = camera.

Upvote 0