Pelican case

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is going to sound really stupid, but what the heck. I finally decided to get myself a Pelican 1510 case for a) air travel and b) events where I want to be able to lock the case

I understand that that for both a and b there is no replacement for insurance (still working to find something in that department...) but still. Plus: the thing is just cool. Must be the same kind of fascination that some women have with handbags and shoes (nothing wrong with the latter in my book). Even though it's just a stupid black plastic box I must say it's really well designed. Seems worth the money so far.

Here's the weird question: the thing came with a little order form for the name tag under the handle. Are any Pelican owners here using this kind of thing? And what do you put on there? XYZ photography, please steal this case? Probably not such a good idea. Should I put my name and phone number on? Is that always a good idea? Or even the address vs. just the town? Or just leave it and put on a name tag when traveling and call it a day?

I was thinking Name, Town, State, phone number - and I can always cover it or take it out where it may for whatever reason be a problem. Thoughts? Come on - there have been weirder questions...

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Great buy on the Pelican, very cool indeed. I recently ordered the Pelican Storm iM2500 for an upcoming trip overseas. Chose the iM2500 because that's the one neuro has :p

I wouldn't put too much personal information on the tag, I would have the same concerns you've stated. Name and address only when traveling since there's always a small (i.e. tiny) chance if you lost it the finder would get it back to you ;D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The engraved tag should read:

Property of Canon, Inc.
Contains new prototype dSLR
DO NOT OPEN

Happy travels!

Personally, I didn't bother. I have seen other black Peli cases while traveling, so some sort of tag would be a good idea. I got yellow cases, and other than mine, I've never seen a yellow one on a plane. Might be because there's no yellow 1510 - I have the equivalent Storm im2500.

I do get your handbag analogy - I clearly remember the camera bag/case purchase that put me ahead of my wife's purse count. However, ambitious and competitive as I may be, I have no hope of outnumbering her shoes... ;)

Upvote 0
P

PaperTiger

One thing I've honestly considered to mitigate theft is putting:

BIOHAZARD
Human Medical Waste
Do Not Open

I can't see it being really worthwhile to order the tag... I'd sooner place hard to remove stickers on your bodies. Or just get the insurance (which we have, and I highly recommend) and not even worry about it.

I love these cases though. I'd always used them as a surveyor (a lot of manufacturers use them as official cases). I've got one for my laptop as well. It's nice to not worry AT ALL about my computer wherever I am. I'm a touring musician as well and I'll literally pack it with the rest of the equipment in the van and not even think twice.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
neuroanatomist said:

Property of Canon, Inc.
DO NOT OPEN

Happy travels!

Personally, I didn't bother. I have seen other black Peli cases while traveling, so some sort of tag would be a good idea. I got yellow cases, and other than mine, I've never seen a yellow one on a plane. Might be because there's no yellow 1510 - I have the equivalent Storm im2500.

I do get your handbag analogy - I clearly remember the camera bag/case purchase that put me ahead of my wife's purse count. However, ambitious and competitive as I may be, I have no hope of outnumbering her shoes... ;)

Crud... didn't even think about getting yellow!

Upvote 0

nebugeater

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2011
I would not put a name or ID what is inside on the outside. I have nothing ID'ing content on the outside of either of mine. One thing I always have though is name and contact info on the inside. On the rare chance that it is misplaced or whatever and someone honest gets their hands on it I want them to be able to track me down. Probably stating the obvious on keeping ID on the inside but just in case.....

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

Property of Canon, Inc.
DO NOT OPEN

Happy travels!

;D

Yep, yellow would be great. I have a small one for my microscope spare parts - which I believe is another general interest we share - only mine is not professional even though I originally have a clinical background.

Upvote 0
PaperTiger said:

BIOHAZARD
Human Medical Waste
Do Not Open

I can't see it being really worthwhile to order the tag... I'd sooner place hard to remove stickers on your bodies. Or just get the insurance (which we have, and I highly recommend) and not even worry about it.

I love these cases though. I'd always used them as a surveyor (a lot of manufacturers use them as official cases). I've got one for my laptop as well. It's nice to not worry AT ALL about my computer wherever I am. I'm a touring musician as well and I'll literally pack it with the rest of the equipment in the van and not even think twice.

You must love the TSA ... and feel of latex gloves in the morning :eek:

Upvote 0
I've also got the 1510, and it's great. Originally all it had was just a tag with my last name. Then one of my kids decided to decorate it for me with a sticker, so I stuck a few more on it. It's not crazy yet, but as I find stickers I like I'll continue to adorn it.

Attachments

• IMG_20120124_204304.jpg
    IMG_20120124_204304.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 1,661
  • IMG_20120124_204234.jpg
    IMG_20120124_204234.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,541
Upvote 0
bvukich said:
I've also got the 1510, and it's great. Originally all it had was just a tag with my last name. Then one of my kids decided to decorate it for me with a sticker, so I stuck a few more on it. It's not crazy yet, but as I find stickers I like I'll continue to adorn it.

Absolutely love the libertarian sticker!

Upvote 0
7enderbender said:
bvukich said:

Absolutely love the libertarian sticker!

Thank you sir, I'm quite fond of it myself.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Meh said:
neuroanatomist said:
@Meh - I haven't, even in the EU and especially Asia where the carry on limits are low (5 kg for domestic flights in Asia). Just don't grunt and strain as you lift it onto the X-ray scanner belt... ;)

Thanks, good idea. I'll try to be as nonchalant as possible.

FWIW, my loaded im2500 was about 15 kg (33 lbs).

Upvote 0
Meh said:
Anyone ever have any issues about a carry on pelican being over the carry on weight limit? I mean, have you ever been asked at check in to have it weighed, been a bit over, and gotten grief or been forced to check it for that reason?

I've had it weighed (at check-in) and rescanned a few times (amsterdam), but haven't had problems... most problems are flight attendants who give it a second look and ask if i wish to check it or put it in a closet, etc... But I decline and they dont bother me...

Upvote 0
P

PaperTiger

wickidwombat said:
PaperTiger said:

BIOHAZARD
Human Medical Waste
Do Not Open

You must love the TSA ... and feel of latex gloves in the morning :eek:

To be fair, that's meant for my band's tour van. There's currently a radioactive material sticker on it that I got from soil testing equipment.

It may not go over as well in an airport.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.