Photokina 2010 Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
CRguy didn't even bother to report the great new Canon calculator offerings!!

CRguy didn't even bother to report the great new Canon calculator offerings!! I was wrong - he just did. And I must say...WOW! A mouse that's also a calculator. A calculator that's also a mouse. Just...WOW. I am so blown away by this that I don't even know what to say! How many decimal places do I need to express my amazement at this incredible new device from Canon? I tell you, even a 1DsIV priced less than a T2i couldn't beat this new device for the #1 spot in Canon's product line.

Upvote 0
M

markfoster50

Great report , but am I the only one who feels a little underwhelmed by Canon so far?
I am the owner of a 5D MK II and a 1ds MKIII and I love the new 8-15mm wide angle zoom but where is the replacement for the 1DS MKIII? I believe that this is now the oldest in their line yet is their top of the range camera. With the improvements made with the later released cameras isnt it about time that we saw those improvements passed onto their top professional camera? And for them not to let you touch the new lenses. shame on you canon!

Upvote 0
R

richy

markfoster50 said:
Great report , but am I the only one who feels a little underwhelmed by Canon so far?
I am the owner of a 5D MK II and a 1ds MKIII and I love the new 8-15mm wide angle zoom but where is the replacement for the 1DS MKIII? I believe that this is now the oldest in their line yet is their top of the range camera. With the improvements made with the later released cameras isnt it about time that we saw those improvements passed onto their top professional camera? And for them not to let you touch the new lenses. shame on you canon!

Couldn't agree more. I realise not everyone is waiting for the same cameras, but I had really hoped for a top end camera and some new glass, or even for some sample shots & reviews of the new glass. I'm working on my budgets for next year and theres a fair chance mamiya / phase one or pentax may get a sizeable chunk of change instead of canon.
Whilst I can't deny I am practically wetting myself at the thought of a calculator mouse to go with my canon coffee mug it would have been great to see one or two more announcements from Canon (or even nikon just to bug canon).
The 1ds3 is a solid piece of kit but the 5d2 and 7d have some nice features the 1ds3 lacks. The screens alone are a big difference.
If canon are holding off a 1ds4 to either see what nikon does next or because they think nikon doesnt have anything great they are mistaken. I could swap to a brace of d700's or a d3 and d3x tomorrow and not miss a beat. Nikon going fx (after saying for years it wasn't important) was great for canon users as it pushed canon. Sony make an awesome cheap ff cam but I dont see canon undercutting it, there are basic economies with sensors that size and they will slowly drop in price but Im not expecting a 9d? with say a 14-16mp sensor for 7d money. The 5d2 is too well placed and priced for them to need to go cheaper. A 5d2n is always a possibility!
Nothing from sony at the show? wonder if canon will revive their pellicle design now sony is 'borrowing' it.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

Re: Photokina 2010 Continued

Seeing all those super teles in a row like that makes me want to sell my house. Glad you are there Craig. I'm enjoying your updates. Too bad you can't play with any of the new lenses. Maybe they will bring them out later for people to try. Wish another body or announcement had been made. Oh well. Enjoy all the other cool stuff from Canon's competitors too!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Photokina 2010 Continued

jmin916 said:
I've been tracking on Amazon and they continue to say "Temporarily out of stock". Also, I figured once the S95 was out, the price of the S90 would drop and that hasn't happened yet...

"Temporarily out of stock" is like pre-ordering. The are getting them in periodically, but shipping out to fulfill already-placed orders, so the item is never actually available for immediate purchase. That's pretty common with popular new products. But it's no more expensive at B&H, shipping is free, and they've got them now. It is definitely a nice little camera - very convenient for those times when I can't bring the 7D and a bag full of lenses.

Also, Richard Franiec just started shipping his grip for the S95...

Upvote 0
C

CAT in HAWAII

gabriele said:
Can't wait to hear other news from you! I'm so envy I wanted to be there so bad, but I'm stuck in Italy at the moment.
I'm really interested in the Canon EF 14-24mm f/2.8L USM and in the Sigma 85mm f/1.4...I try to not be interested in the 24-70 f/2.8L IS USM because I got this year the not IS version.
Try to get some gadget for us followers and have fun! ;-)
Wow! An I'm "STUCK" in Hawaii,,, ok well, I live here,,, but still
CrWIFE honeymoon,,, wow,,, and she's letting you out of her "site" ,,, ok, couldn't resist,,,

Anyway, good reports so far,,, I noticed nothing on the "new camera", so,,, we wait!
Have an awesome time!!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.