Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for $9.99/mth

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/11/photoshop-cc-lightroom-5-for-9-99mth/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/11/photoshop-cc-lightroom-5-for-9-99mth/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Until December 2, 2013

</strong>Adobe is offering the Photoshop CC, Lightroom 5 & Behance ProSite hosting bundle for $9.99. The big deal on this one is you do not need to have any previous versions of Photoshop or Lightroom.</p>
<p>This offer is good now and goes until 9PM PST December 2, 2013.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/11/photoshop-photography-program.html" target="_blank">Visit Adobe</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Re: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for $9.99/mth

I agree!

Adobe did a total "face plant" with their introduction to their pay-as-you-go cloud rental scheme. This is their attempt at back-pedaling a bit after alienating their client base with such a cocked-up scheme.
Sorry, but even at $10/mth I won't bite.

This makes for a great opportunity for the other photo software companies out there to grab a larger market share... are you guys listening??? ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Harv said:
This promo makes me think that their new licensing approach is not as successful as they had thought it would be.

Agreed.

Harv said:
I'll continue to use my 'perpetual license' version, thank you very much.

So will I…but for those that don't already have a CS license, the cost of Photoshop CS6 new would pay for close to 6 years of a subscription at $10/month, and they'd have CS7, CS8, etc., when they come out. That doesn't sound like such a bad deal…

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
So will I…but for those that don't already have a CS license, the cost of Photoshop CS6 new would pay for close to 6 years of a subscription at $10/month, and they'd have CS7, CS8, etc., when they come out. That doesn't sound like such a bad deal…
This is the conclusion I came to. Even an upgrade of LR and PSE pays for ~15 months which is about how often an upgrade to LR and PSE come out on average -- PSE seems to come out more often, LR occasionally less. Hopefully it will stay at $10 or I hope I don't get hooked on some feature in Photoshop CC I can't live without.

I do feel for pros and those who really need Photoshop CS being strong-armed into the subscription model to get upgrades.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

GmwDarkroom said:
I do feel for pros and those who really need Photoshop CS being strong-armed into the subscription model to get upgrades.

Yeah, but from a business perspective it might not be so bad. The price is supposed to stay stable once you've subscribed, but even if Adobe changes their policy and raises it, that won't happen frequently. For a business, predictability and the ability to forecast expenses is important, and the subscription model offers it. Spending a known (and pretty small) amount each month might be an advantage over a need to spend several hundred dollars at widely spaced intervals.

Upvote 0

Hi Aznable

I received the following pricing information from an Adobe member of staff earlier today

Hi bitm07

The important thing to note is that the $9.99 price is not an introductory price for a year. This is the regular price for this plan.

We cannot guarantee that the price will stay exactly the same year after year - it may go up, it may go down. We don't have plans to change the price, but just like all of our other prices for our services and products, the prices may change in the future.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Bev

Upvote 0

Others have pointed out in different discussions that the subscription model means you do not get to keep using the software after you stop paying for it. If Adobe raises the price in a year, two three years, you can decide without penalty to discontinue the arrangement. I have never heard of a penalty. Here's what Adobe's FAQs say in a section about this offer:
After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering which is not, I believe, saying it will go to $50/month, as that is not the "offer" extended here. So it seems to me you could eat the candy for a year, a year and a bit, and worst case go back to the state of affairs you have now. The software "calls home" occasionally and news coverage I read estimated that you would get about 60 days max further usage and one day the sw wouldn't boot.

There are some discussions/threads here about ways you might save out your work if you were afraid Adobe software would not read the edit list on your RAW. Others reading this please chime in if you believe this is not going to be possible, though, after making the jump to the subscription model.

I had planned to move to the original $10/month offer as I have the requisite [legal]PS installed (bought PS v6 at a very good price before the first $10 offer was announced to be sure I could do so). I had not upgraded LR when I heard about that earlier offer. NAPP people tell their membership that there are going to be several years gone by before THAT arrangement will change. (I have no solid link/reference for this, either). So I have a better fall back state than some. BUT as I have researched this post I do not see any references to the first offer to those who already had Photoshop CS3 and above. That offer was open until 12/31/2013. Would they be less willing to change THAT plan? More of a pro base? or does that imply they'd know we would be annoyed but then dial in the new cost structure for our business?

Last thought: all of these moves are for stockholder interests and the need to project revenues at particular levels to maintain that. Even if the original program was "successful" senior management might have said, "Get more money in the house before 31 December." We're customers and wallets. They aren't here to support (be nice to) our craft or small business. (I don't follow the stock and comments about its prospects...)

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011

I currently own LR 4. I also own Elements 8.0. I was thinking about upgrading to LR 5 and perhaps upgrading Elements as well to the current version. I don't own Photoshop - it is probably more than I need as an enthusiast who is learning post processing. And, I'm sure I will never spend the money to buy it (assuming that I could still buy it). So, what to do. Upgrading to LR 5: $80. Upgrading to Elements 12: $80. One year of this offer: $120. I do the math, and it seems that if I want to stay current, and if LR and Elements have new versions in a year, I am better off just renting the software (I pay less and I get Photoshop instead of Elements). Say I skip a version and so I'm upgrading for $160 for LR and Elements every two years and spending $240 for two years of the subscription model. It cost me $80 for keeping absolutely up to date with the software and getting Photoshop instead of Elements. I also get a website thrown in (which I may use if my busy retired schedule ever lets me find the time).

I absolutely hate the idea of being at the mercy of Adobe. Both price-wise and software-wise. But aren't I anyway? We don't know what the price will be of future upgrades (or even whether we will be able to buy individual software labels instead of "renting" them). I'm pretty much invested in using LR anyway. Sure, I still have all my raws. But without Adobe software to read the edits I have made, all those hours are gone (yes, I could save the final edits as TIFFS or something and probably should, but that adds another complication of storage, file organization and backup).

$10 bucks a month? We all spend more than $10 per month on other "subscriptions." Cable, phone, cellphone, on-line storage. The list goes on and on.

Looks like I am going to bite the bullet before December 2nd. Any last thoughts before I do?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

dppaskewitz said:
Looks like I am going to bite the bullet before December 2nd. Any last thoughts before I do?

DON'T LET ADOBE OWN YOU.

SEND THEM A MESSAGE WITH YOUR WALLET SO THEY CHANGE THEIR THIEVING AND DEGENERATE WAYS.

THEY'LL SOON RAISE THE SUBSCRIPTION PRICE TO $300/MONTH.

OWNERS RULE, RENTERS DROOL.

:p

I jest. It seems like a really good deal, and for someone who doesn't own CS6, it's almost a no-brainer.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Yeah, but from a business perspective it might not be so bad. The price is supposed to stay stable once you've subscribed, but even if Adobe changes their policy and raises it, that won't happen frequently. For a business, predictability and the ability to forecast expenses is important, and the subscription model offers it. Spending a known (and pretty small) amount each month might be an advantage over a need to spend several hundred dollars at widely spaced intervals.
I totally agree. I have lots of software and don't like to be using last year's -- let alone 5+ years ago -- software. Visual Studio, Eclipse, Lightroom, SDKs, and most others are on an "upgrade quickly" model as they usually have features I want. Any photographer who thinks $10 or $50 a month is a lot has never taken a look at MSDN subscription rates!

Having a company squeeze you into a particular payment model is annoying, though.
neuroanatomist said:
DON'T LET ADOBE OWN YOU.
Heh. Microsoft, Borland, Blizzard, Verant/SOE, why should Adobe be left out of the list? ;)

Upvote 0