Please recommend tips for capturing actions shots on a 5d mkii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am trying to capture a photo of my dog (maltese) hopping about which he likes do. I think it would make a really cute photo that my fiance would love.

I recently got a 5d mkii. I only bought a 50mm 1.8 whilst i decided what other lens would suit my needs. I have read countless times on here that the 5d mkii AF sucks, and th 50mm 1.8 probably isnt the fastest af lens either. I was trying to do this last night but it was about 10pm and my house lights are quite dull, so my shutter speed was too slow to freeze action. Any quicker and the ISO would have been unusable.

HOWEVER rather than being negative can people please give advice on how to improve my chances at capturing this. I am going to buy a flash soon. Could I use this too trigger the shutter as the dog jumps past it? Ive seen that technique used in high speed photography.

In general what other tips do people use for actions shots to get around the 5d mkiis AF.

Thanks

Jul 21, 2010
CJRodgers said:
In general what other tips do people use for actions shots to get around the 5d mkiis AF.

Personally, I put it back in the Peli case, take out the 7D, and shoot with that instead... :p

Seriously, agree with the above - center point, AI Servo (make sure you have the supplemental AF points enabled in the C.Fn's - default is off).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
CJRodgers said:

Personally, I put it back in the Peli case, take out the 7D, and shoot with that instead... :p

Seriously, agree with the above - center point, AI Servo (make sure you have the supplemental AF points enabled in the C.Fn's - default is off).

Yes! Or, use flash as well. A speedlight flash can freeze action better than the fastest shutter speed on our camera can (under most conditions).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
CJRodgers said:

Yep.. either that, or try your best and pray...

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
eeek said:
The AF is great if it is well lit. You can get great action stopping pictures with the mark II. It doesn't do well is poor low light, but in good light, it does awesome.

Low light AF is amongst the best for the 5DII on the centre AF point

yep I shot an awesome performance in yangshuo in china with the 70-200 on a tripod with the 5Dmk2 and i would say focus is dead on in about 99% of the shots very very low light
super super happy with the results (still havent processed them yet but even the raws are great)

thing is i feel the 5Dmk3 can acquire foucs in even less light than the mk2 (very slowly though but it will lock where the mk2 wont

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.