POLL: So the 5ds is ~$4k ... will you dump your old 5d3 or 1dx?

How will you react to the 5ds/r release?

• ... I'll dump my old 1dx

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 14, 2012
Dylan777 said:
sdsr said:
I recently sold my 5DIII to pay for a Sony a7s, which I use along side my a7r (and, much less often, my 6D). If Canon ever makes a FF mirrorless camera that's at least as good as the a7 line I would likely buy one, but until then I doubt I'll buy another Canon body. (Keeping the lenses, though....)

Since my wife doesn't want to give up her(was mine) RX1, I recently pickup an a7s as well. I rented it last Sep, I'm amazed with high ISO. It's great little camera with fe 35mm. attach.

Yes, it is. If you want to have even more fun in low light and/or want to play with very shallow focus and don't mind MF and the extra weight, try it with the Mitakon 50mm .95! (You can rent it from lensrentals if you don't want to buy one.)

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
dilbert said:
Marsu42 said:
dilbert said:
if the IQ isn't up to Exmor standards then a lot of people are just going to yawn and reviews will be "meh."

Let me guess... "a lot of people" as in "you" :-> ? Or will Rock Kenwell write you don't need 50mp to shoot nice snaps your growing family :p ?

I'm actually Rock Kenwell in disguise ;)

Seriously, the world wide photographic community is seemingly growing bored with Canon cameras - especially reviewers. There haven't been any real advances by Canon in quite some time (cue neuro rant about camera system.)

Funny you should both drag in Rockwell here - his favorite dslr (or so he says) is the 5DIII and his review of the 7DII might make even a Canon fan-boy blush; I don't think he has even mentioned the "inferiority" of Canon's sensors at all.

As for "the world wide photographic community" "seeming" to "grow bored with Canon cameras", that may be true of a few enthusiasts of the sort who hang out around here, but Canon still seems to outsell everyone else. To the extent the market in general is getting bored, it's bored with dedicated cameras, period.

Besides, I don't really get why you care so much about how Canon fares. If they don't provide what you want it's easy enough to switch to another brand (or, as I've done, add a couple of others) unless there's some particular Canon item you really need that has no counterpart elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Looks like a great camera, but still I've decided to wait for the tests and full specs. My worry is that ISO 6400 may be a deal killer for me if its less than excellent with a big "E".

No wifi and gps also draw down.

In addition I will be disappointed if it does not do more than 5 fps in crop mode. 5 is actually pretty OK and is more or less like the 5DII and 5DIII - so tolarable at full size. But it should be somewhat faster in crop mode whiich would add to utility a lot for me.

Quite frustrating as 5DIV now certainly will not go near 50mp.

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
dilbert said:
Marsu42 said:
dilbert said:
if the IQ isn't up to Exmor standards then a lot of people are just going to yawn and reviews will be "meh."

Let me guess... "a lot of people" as in "you" :-> ? Or will Rock Kenwell write you don't need 50mp to shoot nice snaps your growing family :p ?

I'm actually Rock Kenwell in disguise ;)

Seriously, the world wide photographic community is seemingly growing bored with Canon cameras - especially reviewers. There haven't been any real advances by Canon in quite some time (cue neuro rant about camera system.)

As for "the world wide photographic community" "seeming" to "grow bored with Canon cameras", that may be true of a few enthusiasts of the sort who hang out around here, but Canon still seems to outsell everyone else. To the extent the market in general is getting bored, it's bored with dedicated cameras, period.

Besides, I don't really get why you care so much about how Canon fares. If they don't provide what you want it's easy enough to switch to another brand (or, as I've done, add a couple of others) unless there's some particular Canon item you really need that has no counterpart elsewhere.

+1
I don't understand the complaints of some of these guys. This is a 50MP FF camera! I am pretty sure this thing can take better pictures than you intend to and probably exceeds most peoples skills and talents and somehow it is still not good enough already. Some people are really ungrateful man. I really wonder if any of these naggers have used a 1Dx or 5D III/6D. I am sorry but if you cannot take fantastic to excellent pictures with these bodies, photography is definitely not something you are born to do and no 20 stops of DR body of Sony, Nikon or whoever else is going to save your backside or boost your skills.

To all the Canon bashers. Tell me what Canon is missing apart from the base ISO shadow boosting in post nonsense? How about class leading Flash systems, ergonomics, near unbeatable build qualities, killer AF and metering and class leading world wide service with a turnaround day of just 3(!) working days and a backup loan to boot. Can your, Sony or Nikon guarantee that kind of commitment and gear reliability as a working pro? Don't think so.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Memdroid said:
Some people are really ungrateful man.

I'll be plenty grateful if I wouldn't have to *buy* the stuff :)

Memdroid said:
near unbeatable build qualities, killer AF and metering

... /me looks at my 6d on the table next to me, /me shrugs and sighs ...

Memdroid said:
Can your, Sony or Nikon guarantee that kind of commitment and gear reliability as a working pro? Don't think so.

Are you Neuro in disguise with a 2nd account :p ? I guess some people talking not about the same things - if Canon outsells everyone else, that's esp. in the mass market. If you talk about a stellar system, true enough, but that's the high-end stuff.

If you're sandwiched between both Canon is still ok, but more expensive than Nikon and has an uncanny tendency to cripple their own products. I still like my Canon gear and have been shooting Canon for decades, but if it wouldn't be for Magic Lantern I'd probably have gone Nikon d7000 (instead of 60d) and d600 (instead of 6d). The lenses I use are available on all systems.

Upvote 0
I already sold my 5D Mark 3 and got a Sony A7 and Samsung NX1, which both fit my needs exceedingly well.

These 50mp Canons are definitely for landscape shooters, and possibly certain studio fashion photographers, (although I, being one of the latter) don't need more than 30mp.

For me, the Sony dynamic range, and Samsung color + rendering are utterly phenomenal.
I still prefer Canon colors over Sony colors, but being able to shoot with a mirrorless system with all its benefits of live view and functionality- I can never go back to a mirror system.

DSLRs will soon become a niche for sports and wildlife who need to "snipe" their targets. But even then, mirrorless evf technology has its pros for that too.

Lastly, I sold my 50L, 35L, 100L, and flash system, but I'm still thinking about holding on to my 24-70L II for the rest of the year. To at least try out any new canon products.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I doubt if there will be very many 5DIII users who switch. These are niche cameras and unless you consistently shoot in that niche, they are not designed or intended for you.

I need a versatile, general purpose camera that I can use under a broad range of less than ideal conditions and be confident that I will have the shots I need. For that purpose, nothing beats the 5D III. The 5D IV will need to be quite a camera to convince me to upgrade.

Upvote 0
When Canon was pushing the megapixels, people complain about the loss in IQ and how it was important to do what Nikon did- focus on the quality.
After they stopped doing that, and created a fantastic camera in the 5D III, people pointed out how Nikon "innovated" by creating a 36 MP camera (brave business decision, yes- but purchasing a sensor from Sony and building a camera around it is not the epitome of innovation IMO).
Now that Canon has created a 50 MP camera, I hear all these naysayers.
There are, of course, Nikon haters as well- who complained about large file sizes and how the LCD looks too green blah blah blah!
It is amazing that these people never stop to think about all their own shortcomings that won't be solved by a 100MP 20-stop DR sensor. Of course, neither Canon nor Nikon pays any attention to them because the total impact created by these people outside the forum, artistically or vocally, is ZERO.
Those who know how to use their equipment will continue creating beautiful images making the best of what they have.

I don't need a 50MP camera myself, but I salute human innovation that is always pushing the boundaries. I am sure lots of people will be very happy. Go Canon!

Upvote 0
I'll upgrade from another camera. But not now.

First, I'll wait for the 5D4.

Second, I'll read the reviews, and users' opinions of all the new 5D editions, then critically evaluate the pros and cons of each model. 5Ds /sr and 5D4 are going to be quite different beasts.

Next, a couple or more lenses are prioritary in my prescription to cure mitigate GAS symptoms.

Then, when prices settle, I'll possibly upgrade to one of the three, presumably no earlier than a couple of years.

Meanwhile, I'll keep shooting happily with my 5D2 and 7D2.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
1. I'm actually Rock Kenwell in disguise ;)
2. A full size 7D2 sensor isn't going to win over landscape photographers that have left Canon for Nikon/Sony.

1. I do believe that he does deliver better images than yours...
2. Not sure about others, but I am sure that you can not win over my landscape images even when i am using my old camera and i have just recently started shooting landscape...

if you think that is untrue, prove me wrong...

Upvote 0
Absolutely agree !

+1
I don't understand the complaints of some of these guys. This is a 50MP FF camera! I am pretty sure this thing can take better pictures than you intend to and probably exceeds most peoples skills and talents and somehow it is still not good enough already. Some people are really ungrateful man. I really wonder if any of these naggers have used a 1Dx or 5D III/6D. I am sorry but if you cannot take fantastic to excellent pictures with these bodies, photography is definitely not something you are born to do and no 20 stops of DR body of Sony, Nikon or whoever else is going to save your backside or boost your skills.

To all the Canon bashers. Tell me what Canon is missing apart from the base ISO shadow boosting in post nonsense? How about class leading Flash systems, ergonomics, near unbeatable build qualities, killer AF and metering and class leading world wide service with a turnaround day of just 3(!) working days and a backup loan to boot. Can your, Sony or Nikon guarantee that kind of commitment and gear reliability as a working pro? Don't think so.
[/quote]

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
It makes sense to me to buy it as a second body as I work full time as a commercial photographer.

I also love the high resolving Otus lenses from Zeiss, and with this high a resolution on the 5D they will finally completely outshine the likes of Sigma.

I will though have to invest a new camera for filming as the new 5D cameras have lost their breath to the competition.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
slclick said:
Calling the 5D3 'old' is just sucker talk for consumerism. Needs and wants my friend.

It's not like "old" is necessarily a bad thing(tm), there are lots of excellent old lenses and even the older 1d cameras are still up to date concerning specs.

But face it, the 6d/5d3 are the last pimped iterations of the legacy tech, the next one will have an actual generational change like dpaf and 4k paired with goodies like gps/wifi, anti-flicker and whatnot. It's not like you "need" it unless you're having very specific demands by a client, of course. I'm sure the old 5d3 will be very popular on the used market for a long time to come.

Abe_simpsons.jpg

Upvote 0
surprised to see so many in the skip it category, wonder how that will change as sample images and reviews come in (though that may not be for a bit).

I am for sure considering this body, I won't say 100% because all we have is specs to go on but with the sound of it, this would become the third body in the kit - other moves would depend on a few things - how does this camera do at the higher ISO's - that will tell me if I can go to 2 bodies. My primary work is weddings so I do need the high ISO that the 5d3/6d combo gives me (dark churches where you can't use flash). But I could for sure see this beast being the go to machine for the bride&Groom portraits, engagement shoots, ring shots, first dances (with off cam flash), pre-game bridal portraits, some of some ceremonies (outdoor ceremonies, or just for key moments).

Upvote 0