POLL: So the 5ds is ~$4k ... will you dump your old 5d3 or 1dx?

How will you react to the 5ds/r release?

• ... I'll dump my old 1dx

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 29, 2011
Marsu42 said:
privatebydesign said:
What additional detail is visible is so because there is less noise, there is no more spatial resolution.

I'm nowhere near promoting this technique, but imho in theory upscaling *can* result in more res on select images.

OnOne has pioneered this with their "genuine fractals" PS plugin, which was the most stupid name ever because no one understood what it did. Afaik it's part of their plugin suite now. The idea - to my understanding - is smart extrapolating, i.e. not straight lines but more "natural" patterns, too. When I tried it it worked, and while I'm not a big fan of too much image cooking beats any other upscaling method.

So even if this super-resolution doesn't get you terrapixel shots, it's probably nice to have as an additional method in the tool bag if a shot doesn't have enough metapixies. At least, it seems it cannot make the image worse :->

The technique is a good one, for reducing noise. As my crops show it can result in less apparent spatial resolution, but you will get detail back that is lost to noise in a single shot.

Apart from the bits where it did!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I read through the article and watched the video which is about 20 minutes. I have to give credit for figuring out and explaining this technique, it is sound but cumbersome and not suited for a scene with motion. If you are willing to spend the time shooting multiple images and processing then this is a good method but for me a high resolution sensor is a better way to capture high resolution images.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

First time poster, but long time reader before registering.

I have a 5Dmk3 and am very happy with it.

If Canon is to entice me to buy another camera body instead of buying more lenses the new camera would need to be qualitatively better as an all round camera.

I would want it producing better quality images in both bright and low light situations.

I don't feel the need for more pixels, but wouldn't want less; and I use my video camera for capturing video so I don't need 4k video.

Cheers
David

Upvote 0
davidmurray said:
I don't feel the need for more pixels, but wouldn't want less; and I use my video camera for capturing video so I don't need 4k video.

As far as I understand it, the attractiveness of 4k for still shooters is grabbing hi-res frames off the sensor w/o the need to move the mirror. How about 120fps 8mp raw shooting to capture the moment?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Marsu42 said:
davidmurray said:

As far as I understand it, the attractiveness of 4k for still shooters is grabbing hi-res frames off the sensor w/o the need to move the mirror. How about 120fps 8mp raw shooting to capture the moment?

Sounds like a nightmare to me to sort out all those captures afterwards. I rarely spray and pray. And even then 5-6 fps are plenty for my usage.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Sounds like a nightmare to me to sort out all those captures afterwards.

I'm sure someone smart will figure out an algorithm to do it for you, at least for the bulk. Magic Lantern already has some of it, actually such an algorithm is built into Canon's digic chips right now (yes!) - for their burst silent shooting, they let the digic compute a "in-focus" quality scale and automatically select the best ones. And if you only need one shot where the ball hits the soccer player's head, well, that's even easier to select.

But I sympathize with your reluctance to imagine possibilities of new tech, that's makes the CR people what it are :->

AvTvM said:
I rarely spray and pray. And even then 5-6 fps are plenty for my usage.

Maybe so, but obviously the high-fps 1d cameras meet a demand. My 120fps example might be over the top as the raw data rates would be ridiculously high, but let's say 15fps 4k raw shooting - I'm positive it'll sell like hotcakes.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Maybe so, but obviously the high-fps 1d cameras meet a demand. My 120fps example might be over the top as the raw data rates would be ridiculously high, but let's say 15fps 4k raw shooting - I'm positive it'll sell like hotcakes.

My personal view is that a feature like that belongs in a 1D model, not in an all-rounder camera body.

I think its purpose is to compensate for poor skill on behalf of the photographer for maximizing the chance for getting a one-chance shot, so let them pay for the top model for getting that "feature". Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
candc said:
8k video is the exciting thing for still shooters I think. That's 33mpx stills at 30fps.

No it isn't, 8k video has a rendered output (essentially jpeg) of 6GB's per second, therefore filling up an $800 CFast card in just over 20 seconds.

Thinking of it as a video stream it's excessive and major storage problems for sure. The 7dii takes 20mpx shots and about 1500 raws fit on a 64gb card so with 30mpx shots you should get about 1000? If you set the frame rate to say 15fps and shoot short bursts then it would be useful to a bif shooter. The cost of the storage cards is a problem. If it gets to be a widely used format then that cost will drop. I remember when a 512mb cf card was $100

Upvote 0
candc said:
8k video is the exciting thing for still shooters I think. That's 33mpx stills at 30fps.

At 1/30sec per frame, how many are going to be sharp? Motion blur is fine in video, but rarely for stills. As many have said in the past, using a faster exposure per frame leads to unappealing (juddery?) video. You can't have your cake and eat it in this case.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
At first it seems tempting - not so much for the 50MP but for the cropping potential...but I would like to see firsthand how much effort is needed to get full detail. It took me enough time to be able to take advantage of 20MP resolution with my style of shooting...I suspect 50MP is going to be that learning curve all over again.

This does not seem to be a camera that can replace a 5D3 (at least for me) - I still need that high ISO performance on many occasions.

Upvote 0
tron said:
I will skip it (as I already mentioned in a similar thread).

All I want is a 5DMkIV with the same Mpixels as 5DMkIII with better high and low ISO performance, 8 fps and much better DR (maybe using the Canon Dual-Scale Column-Parallel ADC Patent...).

Which means you know my answer to a future poll when 5DMkIV arrives ;D

Thanks for writing my reply! You've nailed it! And if the IV disappoints it is time to start taking a serious look at EF lens adapters.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Had planned to add a 1DX to complement my 6D in the next year. Then the 7DII came out as an alternative with extra reach. I held off because it is not FF. The 5DS would seem to offer the same reach benefit, but would still be FF to pair with my expected 11-24L purchase. It will be interesting to see how the 5DS pairs with long teles.

Upvote 0