POLL: The best answer to "nice pix, must be a good camera"...

"This is a nice photo, I don't have such a good camera" (or similar):

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respond with a simple answer, which coincidentally is also the basic truth, "Yes it's
a great camera however like any camera its only as good as its user". This usually
resets their brain and then we can have a conversation.

On a similar vain on a shoot at a baseball game last year I had a couple of goofballs
ask if my "big lens" (100-400mm IS) was "compensating for something". I informed
them that "Yes it is" and then added "It's compensating for my lack of desire to go to
hospital due to injuries from being beaten up when I get in the players way to get a
photograph"

Tom

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Orangutan said:
It's a bit like when people say "you have such a pretty dog," "thank you" is the wrong response. It's better to try to understand what they really mean -- uninformed questions often come out badly formed. I usually say something like "yes, I really enjoy using it." For those who care it might start a conversation. For others, let them wallow in their ignorance, it doesn't hurt me. I try not to look for opportunities to be offended.

Probably the most prudent answer. As an old guy who used to use film, I have to admit that sometimes I answer by affirming what they say, "Yes, it's really amazing what cameras can do these days. Even the cheapest models take terrific pictures."

Most people aren't looking for a debate and don't even think about what they are saying, but are just trying to make conversation. I suppose part of me is also thinking that if I tell them that any DSLR made today is incredible, they might start thinking about why their pictures suck.

I like this approach. It's gracious but gives them an opportunity to think a little, if they're so inclined.

Upvote 0
jebrady03 said:
Occasionally I get a gear compliment and I honestly usually say something like "all modern cameras are so good that it basically doesn't matter what you shoot with". To which they usually respond (something like) "well my pictures don't look like yours" to which I would respond with something like "I've spent a lot of time and taken a LOT of crappy pictures, so like anything else, it takes practice and understanding."

I like this. It shows that there's more to it than pointing a "nice camera" at something and pressing the button, but it also shows that you're both human and that making a beautiful photograph is about practice and dedication, not about being better than them.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I usually reply, yes it is a full frame.
That is a conversation that won't get anywhere, whether they see the picture already taken or they see you taking it. I run away from these people.

But once or twice they got me. I was about to sneak to shoot the bride alone when someone called me and said; my wife feels bad because you didn't take our picture with that beautiful camera.
Or once I was about to leave when a lady asked me to take her picture. Husband screamed: what does it take so long, but when he saw us he said; no way you have to take mine too, such a beautiful camera - I want a beautiful picture - and he was not a beautiful subject.

Upvote 0
I had a relative tell me once that my camera takes really good pictures. I was shooting in manual, so i fudged the dials around a bit and handed over and said, "Yeah it does, here you try it." He was surprised at how bad the exposure was. I wanted to say, "yeah, it's a tool, and so are you." Instead I just smiled and said, no offense taken, but there's more than just pressing the button and thinking the camera does it all for you.

Greg

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
If it's an extra high magnification macro picture they might be right.

Of course they are. We DO have good cameras.

Can a really good photographer take a better pic with a crappy camera in manual than a crappy photographer can take with a good camera on auto? Obviously yes. But that is not a fair comparison.

The truth is, a good camera on auto will take a better picture than a bad camera on auto, and a good photographer will take a better picture with a good camera than with a bad one. If that wasn't true, we wouldn't all be spending the extra money. When you compare apples to apples, the better camera always wins.

I was approached by someone recently who asked me, "Are you a good enough photographer to take professional looking photos for me? I tried something with my Rebel and didn't like the results."

I said I could try, and sent them some samples with tons of bokeh, to which they replied, "Awesome! I think you have a better camera than I do!"

And you know what? I do have a better camera than they do. But you know what else? They weren't trying to insult me by complimenting the camera, and I'm pretty damned sure they know I have the skills to use it, or they wouldn't have approached me in the first place.

I'm really struggling to understand why anybody would want to get offended by people giving them a compliment.

Upvote 0
For the people who claim that the camera does not matter. Please show me a picture taken with a P&S of a pole vaulter at just the top of the jump.
Most (99.99999%) of such pictures are taken with something that takes 6+fps. Good cameras take good pictures, yes things like composition are not related to camera abilities, they depend on photographer.
How many good pictures in challenging light conditions come out looking good with a crappy camera?

If good cameras didn't matter then why would anybody buy a xD cameras instead of P&S or even Rebels?

Upvote 0
geekpower said:
I'm really struggling to understand why anybody would want to get offended by people giving them a compliment.

There are some people who put a great deal of effort in looking for ways to be offended/insulting.

I am in agreement with you on this. To me, it is a person trying to establish a conversation. So they don't use exactly the correct words that we would prefer.... I would hope that we are intelligent enough to look beyond the words and try to find out the intent was.....and to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

TLDR: Too many people (photographers and non photographers) have a chip on their shoulder.

If you look to be offended, you will be offended.

Maybe deep down, some people want to be offended so they can then feel superior?

I would rather get into a pleasant conversation with someone who expressed an interest in me and what I was doing.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
geekpower said:

There are some people who put a great deal of effort in looking for ways to be offended/insulting.

I am in agreement with you on this. To me, it is a person trying to establish a conversation. So they don't use exactly the correct words that we would prefer.... I would hope that we are intelligent enough to look beyond the words and try to find out the intent was.....and to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

TLDR: Too many people (photographers and non photographers) have a chip on their shoulder.

If you look to be offended, you will be offended.

Maybe deep down, some people want to be offended so they can then feel superior?

I would rather get into a pleasant conversation with someone who expressed an interest in me and what I was doing.

100% agreed. If someone says that to me, I'm happy to talk about the camera and why it is better than some other cameras. After all I could not nail birds in flight with my wife's point and shoot and I didn't spend what I did without expecting to get improved results with the camera / lenses I bought.

Upvote 0
When I hear this I chuckle and tell them that yes its a great camera, I know it takes time, skill, and talent to make a great picture, but I know as well that gear matter.

For example; wildlife, astro, and sports photography aren't possible without telephoto or fast lenses, ofc that doesn't mean you can't get a good shot with a P&S or a smartphone, but put both equipment in the hands of the same person, and see how many keepers will there be in each case.

Also if they know the effort you put into a good photo they will change, its the same with driving, everyone thinks that if they have a fast car they will win a race.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.