Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Actually price is a very important consideration for most of us. Why is the camera so much more expensive in Europe than it is in the USA? Doesn't that seem unfair to you? The difference is far to great to be explained by VAT. The price for the body only in USA is $3,899 and the price for the body only in the UK is £4,199. At today's exchange rate the US price of $3,899 should be around £3,091. Add on the 20% VAT and the total price should be around £3,709, so why is it nearly £500 more than that? It is a huge difference.

It's a smaller market, it's further from Japan, and your consumer laws require much longer warranties. Someone has to pay for all of those repairs done under warranty that would have been paid for by the owner in the U.S.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
:):):):):):):)

Dear Canon employees,

I had been one of this person complaining about the fact the brand Canon was not listening to the needs of videos amateurs like me. Despite, a serious investment in Canon L lenses and in different Canon bodies 350D, 60D and 6D mark I, it was not pleasant to see other brands like Lumix being able to offer amateurs a much better quality in video.

However, the image quality of pictures taken with these bodies and these lenses were fabulous and people like me just had a hidden hope Canon would finally listen to us. Obviously, our messages have been heard and the body R6 sounds simply what we had been dreaming of for many years.

I just wanted to officially say THANK YOU.
Indeed, many people complain but forget to express their recognition when it is appropriate.

In the coming months the body R6 will certainly join my home and enjoy the presence of L lenses, Rokinon Cine Lenses and some recent Contax Zeiss lenses.
Looking forward to the first video footages and low light pictures made with this body by recognised youtubers.
Obviously this body is going to be a source of joy shooting videos of very high image quality.

I suppose professionals will be delighted with the R5 body.
Not for me but obviously an incredible pro body for pro cinema people.

Last but not least, thanks to Canon Rumors for the quality of information provided to us in the last months.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Cropping gives the same effect as having a longer lens.
Cropping does not give the same effect. As someone who started years ago with 35mm and then transitioned to 2-1/4 x 2-1/4, the difference was amazing. When you crop you are blowing up a smaller number of pixels which does not return the sharpness of a long lens. The image may be the same size but the sharpness is completely different.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I am a professional. But my assignments are travel-centric. So I will wait a bit. Anyways, it will not be available for a month. COVID numbers are rising daily. So I think by the time I am ready, R5 will be available easily. So no need for me to pre-order. And I do not need to get the camera much ahead of an assignment, I am confident that I will learn all there is to learn to shoot still or film with it within few hours of the camera in my hands.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I agree. But pushing the video specs so boldly led me to believe Canon came up with some solution to handle this either via heat pipes or perhaps a vapor chamber. 10 mins of cooling gets another 3 mins of shooting in 8K. That gives you an idea on what not having any cooling solution leads too...

I absolutely cannot have the camera shut down on me in the middle of certain types of shoot. I'm sure others are in the same boat. While I have the same 29:59 limits on my A7III/RIII and A9 (which I don't shoot much video on), I have done 60mins (2 segments) of speeches in the evening after shooting 2 hours of pre-event b-roll without even seeing the overheat warning.

Maybe Canon will come up with something in a firmware to help with this after the camera is released.

Your α7III and α9 are both in the same resolution range as the 20MP R6.

Your α7RIII is the only one that approaches the resolution of the R5, and it can't do 8K. It can only do 4K at 30 fps.

How long can the R5 shoot at 4K30 before it overheats?

Upvote 0
You can always cancel a preorder before it ships. In this case you'll have about three weeks to decide. Not that it makes any difference now, as you'd be near the bottom of the list.
I wonder what the allocations are and if we know what time B&H, Adorama etc filled their quotas? I guess the camera shops won't tell you that you missed the 30Jul shipment in case you cancel?

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Cropping does not give the same effect. As someone who started years ago with 35mm and then transitioned to 2-1/4 x 2-1/4, the difference was amazing. When you crop you are blowing up a smaller number of pixels which does not return the sharpness of a long lens. The image may be the same size but the sharpness is completely different.
I agree with most of what you say, but I disagree with your use of the adverb "completely". The more pixels you start with the better the crop. So, all else equal, similar crops in good light from a 60MP sensor (say, 26MP) will appear not to be as noticeably less sharp as the same size crop from a 20MP sensor (around 8MP). Both crops lose acuity and neither will perfectly match the image from a longer lens from cameras using the same sensors, but the higher MP crop will be less noticeably different.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I thought about it, and you are right... I don't want this to go back-and-forth. I'm just gonna agree with you. (y)

Cropping gives the same perspective (e.g. "compression") as using a longer lens, because perspective is determined by camera position.

But the greater the enlargement ratio between sensor size (or the size of the cropped portion of the sensor) and the display/viewing size, the sharper the lens must be to give the same amount of acutance. For video viewed on typical televisions this may not matter, since FHD is only 2MP and the width of 2K is only 10 MP at 3:2. But for large display of stills, it can make a significant difference. A lens must be able to give 1.6X more lp/mm to have the same number of lp/ih on an APS-C crop sensor as another lens on an uncropped FF sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
No it doesn't. Maybe use Bing next time?

Edit: good example: https://annawu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/focal-length-comparison.jpg
Setting aside the issue of pixel level quality to keep things more straightforward, cropping does indeed give the same effect as using a longer lens provided you're standing the same distance away from your subject. Your example actually shows this. The photographer changes their distance from the subject using each lens to get the subject's head to fill the frame to the same degree with each lens.

If the photographer would have stood as far away as they did with the 200mm lens with all the other lenses and then cropped each photo down to show the same field of view as with the 200mm, all the photos would look more or less the same, except for possibly depth of field, I'm not sure on that one.

However, obviously shooting with a very wide lens and then cropping down to what a telephoto would have seen gives you a huge loss in resolution, hence the reason for having different lenses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Ok fine... The people working the sub-$30K jobs will not shop as much at the business owned by the person who would be hiring a photographer for their wedding, family reunion, whatever.

Any way you slice it, less money moving through the economy means less people ultimately shelling out for a new camera.

Any way you slice it, it takes ten workers making $30K to push as much money through the economy as one person earning $300K. And those 10 lower earning workers need more food and other essentials than that one high earning worker does.

Yes, economic slowdowns will affect the number of jobs pros can get, but nowhere near the degree that SARS-CoV-2 has done due to the cancellations of almost all gatherings of any size larger than a few dozens of people.

Pro photogs aren't working very much right now primarily due to the virus, not due to the economic fallout from the virus.

Upvote 0
I ordered my R5 + 24-70mmf2.8L at 5AM this morning PST. Does anyone know if there is a way to find out where you are on the preorder list?
I asked the same question. If you know what time you received a confirmation email, the shop should know if you were going to get a shipment by 30Jul. On the other hand, they probably won't tell us that we missed the cut because you would cancel. They like having your money in their bank account.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No it doesn't. Maybe use Bing next time?

Edit: good example: https://annawu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/focal-length-comparison.jpg

You're comparing apple to oranges. Your link shows the same framing using different focal lengths from different shooting distances. The original discussion here was about using the same focal length lens from the same distance and cropping.

It doesn't matter what focal length you are using. If you are shooting the same scene from the same camera position, you'll get the same perspective.

See: https://www.australianlight.com.au/blog/post/myth_busting_focal_length_and_perspective/

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wonder what the allocations are and if we know what time B&H, Adorama etc filled their quotas? I guess the camera shops won't tell you that you missed the 30Jul shipment in case you cancel?

They don't even know at this point, because they don't know how many of the preorders in front of you will change their minds and cancel before the camera's ship in three weeks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Any way you slice it, it takes ten workers making $30K to push as much money through the economy as one person earning $300K. And those 10 lower earning workers need more food and other essentials than that one high earning worker does.

Yes, economic slowdowns will affect the number of jobs pros can get, but nowhere near the degree that SARS-CoV-2 has done due to the cancellations of almost all gatherings of any size larger than a few dozens of people.

Pro photogs aren't working very much right now primarily due to the virus, not due to the economic fallout from the virus.
Fair enough.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Setting aside the issue of pixel level quality to keep things more straightforward, cropping does indeed give the same effect as using a longer lens provided you're standing the same distance away from your subject. Your example actually shows this. The photographer changes their distance from the subject using each lens to get the subject's head to fill the frame to the same degree with each lens.

If the photographer would have stood as far away as they did with the 200mm lens with all the other lenses and then cropped each photo down to show the same field of view as with the 200mm, all the photos would look more or less the same, except for possibly depth of field, I'm not sure on that one.

However, obviously shooting with a very wide lens and then cropping down to what a telephoto would have seen gives you a huge loss in resolution, hence the reason for having different lenses.
Yep depth of field changes, perspective does not, as my illustration here demonstrates.

it amazes me how in this world of instant information everywhere people can repeatedly argue over the same thing time and time again.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
You're comparing apple to oranges. Your link shows the same framing using different focal lengths from different shooting distances. The original discussion here was about using the same focal length lens from the same distance and cropping.

It doesn't matter what focal length you are using. If you are shooting the same scene from the same camera position, you'll get the same perspective.

See: https://www.australianlight.com.au/blog/post/myth_busting_focal_length_and_perspective/
In the context of where this stems from, I was referring to the inability to simulate telephoto effects from the same spot using only a wide angle lens. I gave the scenario of setting up a wide angle shot and using that for all your field of views. This means there are no variables. I'm not moving closer to the subject, not moving farther away. I'm not changing the focal length, not adjusting depth of field. The only variable is cropping with a single lens and a single camera. And no matter how much I crop, it will not look like a lens of a longer focal length.

So if I'm being creative, I would use different focal lengths to have a variety of shots because I would want different perspectives. I was merely illustrating that if I sacrifice some of that creative ability, I can get take advantage of the the flexibility and simplicity of using 8K.

Upvote 0