Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Setting aside the issue of pixel level quality to keep things more straightforward, cropping does indeed give the same effect as using a longer lens provided you're standing the same distance away from your subject. Your example actually shows this. The photographer changes their distance from the subject using each lens to get the subject's head to fill the frame to the same degree with each lens.

If the photographer would have stood as far away as they did with the 200mm lens with all the other lenses and then cropped each photo down to show the same field of view as with the 200mm, all the photos would look more or less the same, except for possibly depth of field, I'm not sure on that one.

However, obviously shooting with a very wide lens and then cropping down to what a telephoto would have seen gives you a huge loss in resolution, hence the reason for having different lenses.

Yup, that's correct.

Upvote 0
Your α7III and α9 are both in the same resolution range as the 20MP R6.

Your α7RIII is the only one that approaches the resolution of the R5, and it can't do 8K. It can only do 4K at 30 fps.

How long can the R5 shoot at 4K30 before it overheats?

It will depend if it is oversampled I guess. Oversampled it will record for 30 mins and shut down for 10mins which will allow another 10mins. If it is binned or cropped, probably will not. But if that is the case, I’m spendIng almost $6k+ after taxes up here in Canada with the marquee features being essentially heat limited.

Panasonic knows this and the S1H runs all day long and is Netflix certified. I get the sense Sony (at least based on recent rumors) knows this as well since it was somehow important enough to leak ahead of anything else, aside from the EVF resolution.

My point is the R5 really needed a cooling solution. But you can’t really do that and retain 5D weather sealing. Everything has compromises and Canon simply decided to go this way.

I get Canon needed to make a statement, but that’s such a “Sony” move by putting it on the spec sheet and padding it with fine print.

I was seriously considering this body this week. I’m a bit disappointed that it doesn’t fit my use case, but Canon still deserves kudos for packing this much spec in a single body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Wooow, :oops: that video was stunning! The photos of the models were ... Ay yi yi ... stunning ... what was I talking about? ... oh yeah - The use of the oriental umbrella as both an artistic prop and a big colorful light diffuser over the head & torso turning bright sunlight into a work of art, :love: with those models was ... Ay yi yi ... what was I talking about? ... oh yeah ... That really made the 85mm f1.2 look great, as well as the 85mm f2. Wooow! ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I think the R5 will be the wrong tool for the type of jobs I've mentioned and I think the R6 would be a much better choice in that case. But once you get into the R6, you do have other options as the price is also higher than expected.
Even if you just count the R6 video AF and IBIS, I really don't see a solid alternative.

My point is the R5 really needed a cooling solution. But you can’t really do that and retain 5D weather sealing. Everything has compromises and Canon simply decided to go this way.
We shall see.
I don't expect overheating with 4K30. If it does we will see a fix in a firmware update.
If you are recording 4K120 for 10-20min at a time, you are doing it wrong.
I am most curious about heat at 4K60, you know the one Sony's cannot do and Panasonic needed active cooling for ;)

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
I am most curious about heat at 4K60, you know the one Sony's cannot do and Panasonic needed active cooling for ;)

I'm not the person you were replying to, but my biggest worry is overheating at 8K/24p/IPB when shooting talking-head stuff or interviews, which can often go an hour or more. I'm used to having to pause to reset the recording after 30 minutes or change a memory card, but now we're talking 30 minutes of downtime between shots.

The way I'm justifying the purchase to myself is by remembering that the camera shoots 4K/24 with better IQ/AF and a leaner codec than my 1DX2 or 5D4 and the ability to shoot 8K or 4K/120p is a bonus.

Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
Even if you just count the R6 video AF and IBIS, I really don't see a solid alternative.

We shall see.
I don't expect overheating with 4K30. If it does we will see a fix in a firmware update.
This right here.
Honestly if you're trying to squeeze even long form 8K out of this thing, idk what you're doing. I'm confident that was never what Canon had in mind for this body.
I'm ecstatic about the other options and confident it's going to be everything I wanted.
I am really hoping they eventually update it for 120fps at 1080 but even then I can live without it. 8K adn 4K120 will be for very specific uses with this thing. I hope mine arrives swiftly.

Upvote 0
Really?? I didn’t see that.

Yup, some of the non-IS lenses like the 28-70 and 85 1.2 have larger image circles that allow for more IBIS stabilization (similar to how the wider RF mount gives more stops than Sony's more narrow E mount). However, I'm thinking the 28-70 is only going to be 8 stops at 70mm. At 50mm, it will probably equal the 50 1.2, and at 28 will probably be the least effective – unless somehow the R5 sensor microlens design is better at resolving the angle of light from wider focal lengths than the R is.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not the person you were replying to, but my biggest worry is overheating at 8K/24p/IPB when shooting talking-head stuff or interviews, which can often go an hour or more. I'm used to having to pause to reset the recording after 30 minutes or change a memory card, but now we're talking 30 minutes of downtime between shots.

The way I'm justifying the purchase to myself is by remembering that the camera shoots 4K/24 with better IQ/AF and a leaner codec than my 1DX2 or 5D4 and the ability to shoot 8K or 4K/120p is a bonus.

Maybe a stupid question but why would you film long interviews at 8K?
The data volume is quite intense: ~1TB per hour of video per camera.
For now, I could see 8K mostly in cinematographic workflow where people film scenes of a few min at a time.

Upvote 0
Avoiding the off-topic discussions! :)
We get 5 year local Canon warranty but the 100-500mm is too expensive. 10% more than the current RF70-200mm and the RF TC is 50% more expensive than its EF counterpart. I will cancel my pre-order for it. Disappointed as since I can't use TCs with my RF70-200mm (as I did for EF 70-200mm), I don't now have a reasonably priced option for longer reach... except to go back to EF100-400mm mk 2. Not a bad option especially if there are some good second hand copies handed down from people moving to the RF tele lenses.

Is there a website/document that specifies which CFexpress cards are qualified? Australian resellers are bundling a 64gb USH-I SD card (useless!?!) card but no RF-EF adaptor or CFexpress.

have a look at digidirect they are doing the r5 for 6.6k. With some sort of strap, battery and card.
I am actually pleasantly surprised by AU pricing For the r5.

Upvote 0
have a look at digidirect they are doing the r5 for 6.6k. With some sort of strap, battery and card.
I am actually pleasantly surprised by AU pricing For the r5.
Yeah, the AUD400 of value is somewhat overrated! They have told me that:
"the memory card is $57 (UHS-I only), the NEW battery (LP-E6NH) is $179, and the strap is a limited edition strap at $164. For the bonus strap and battery I would suggest getting in touch with Canon Australia, as they have organised this free promotional kit as a gift for customers. "
The battery isn't listed yet on their website but it should be about AUD110 (Current LP-E6N is AUD88 and BHphoto has ~25% premium on the NH version).
I will sell the card/strap after delivery... not sure how much the market thinks it is worth. Advertising a new (in demand) camera via a custom strap is asking for problems.
Bundling a EOS-R mount adaptor instead would have been much more useful!

Upvote 0

We shall see.

I am very concerned about the 4K/60. That was my main reason I saved and preordered this camera. I don’t normally shoot real long scenes, but I’m in the heat often which may accelerate the overheating. Considering canceling the preorder and waiting to see what happens... or just buying something else. I wish we could get a straight answer on the overheating.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
29:59 is because of EU law. 30 minutes or higher, it is considered a camcorder so an additional tax is applied. For anything else, i agree. This seems like major dealbreaker.

You know, I wish the limit was 2 minutes for the tax threshold and then companies like Canon might actually make cameras instead of camcorders in a camera shape.

All this talk of engineering for cooling shows how much R&D and hence final cost is due to catering to the video market of people who won't buy a cine camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
Maybe a stupid question but why would you film long interviews at 8K?
The data volume is quite intense: ~1TB per hour of video per camera.
For now, I could see 8K mostly in cinematographic workflow where people film scenes of a few min at a time.
You may not be taking into account the dailies are often longer than the final cut scene, not by that much but it adds up when you consider not every scene is done in one take either. Plus you may have other scenes and so on. Thus you could still hit overheating filming for final output that is sub 5 minutes tops. Also nearly every single person I know filming 8K or 4K outputs to 1080p generally with some 1440p and 4K and 8K is never the intended final res delivered. Mostly not crop and stabilisation being primary motivation, although they are important it is often for the downsampling from higher is more favourable qualitywise than filming at that res.

I do think it is ott for talking head stuff I can think of BUT I don't know exactly what he is filming for, for what clients and final viewing intentions. Those considered it could be demanded almost. We often assume based on our use and limited details what we think others need, we are often off the mark when we do that thus I try not to. If he say he needs it maybe he does.

For me one of the things I like most about Canon is they are conservative and it just works when you want it to and under all conditions typical of the niche it is aimed at. If I wanted spec sheet monsters other companies do that well and my primary reason for avoiding sony is the great value and features but at cost of overheating and not always just work. Don't get me wrong the R5 is looking great but I'd prefer more bulk and slightly less sealing for the sake of more cooling as if I need sealing there are plenty of housing solutions. Or go the accessories route and add a metal coldfinger passive heatsink that you can connect active cooling to externally like some astro and niche sensors have where you can mount active pelt effect or air cooling solutions to the exposed metal on the exterior of shell that is directly connected to the internal cold finger.

Upvote 0
As has been said, this has been discussed to death but here is a quick breakdown.
1/ VAT 20%
2/ Import duty 5%
3/ EU/UK enforced warranty obligations. For example I believe most EU countries have a 24 month warranty, the USA get 12 months, this is a real thing that costs Canon Europe money Canon USA doesn't have to spend.
4/ Economies of scale.

So take a price of $3,899, put 5% duty on that, $4094; put 20% VAT on that because VAT gets charged on the duty too, $4,913; throw in an extra 12month warranty for a total of $5013. Or £3,972. Now adjust for the economies of scale because the USA market is a lot bigger than the UK market so it is a lot more efficient and you are barking up the wrong tree. Get over it or get on a plane and get one from B&H, it will cost you $3,899 plus sales tax, or $4,245. You can claim the sales tax back but you are then liable to pay the UK duty and VAT and you are still out the price of the flight and accommodation and should you need warranty work you will probably have to ship it back to the USA.
In Australia Canon products come with a 5 year warranty. Only 12 months in the USA isn't great

Upvote 0
Yeah, the AUD400 of value is somewhat overrated! They have told me that:
"the memory card is $57 (UHS-I only), the NEW battery (LP-E6NH) is $179, and the strap is a limited edition strap at $164. For the bonus strap and battery I would suggest getting in touch with Canon Australia, as they have organised this free promotional kit as a gift for customers. "
The battery isn't listed yet on their website but it should be about AUD110 (Current LP-E6N is AUD88 and BHphoto has ~25% premium on the NH version).
I will sell the card/strap after delivery... not sure how much the market thinks it is worth. Advertising a new (in demand) camera via a custom strap is asking for problems.
Bundling a EOS-R mount adaptor instead would have been much more useful!

At Canon AU store it goes for $7100 which was very frustrating to me, but I found it for $6588, also with battery and strap. My budget was at $6000 but ok, I stretched it. $7100 would have been too much.
The card is useless, yes, but the battery is a must buy anyway. The control ring adaptor - that I'll try and get the cheapest/grey wherever possible.

Upvote 0