Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

I always thought that xK30/60/120fps were for slow mo in post production... or at least that is my usage but I am not a serious videographer. What scenarios would you want audio as well?

I'm no videographer yet. For me it'd be for slow mo rifle/pistol range at work. Working parts slapping forward and bangs in slow motion produce great results. I admit it's niche and not many folks would require it, but I can hope for audio in 1080 @120p at least.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I'm no videographer yet. For me it'd be for slow mo rifle/pistol range at work. Working parts slapping forward and bangs in slow motion produce great results. I admit it's niche and not many folks would require it, but I can hope for audio in 1080 @120p at least.

I record the audio separately using a digital recorder for slow motion gun fire. I find it easier to work with in post and safer for my gear not to be right on the firing line. Syncing slow motion video and audio is fun and easy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
How much it might cost to someone halfway around the world has no effect on my decision to buy or not buy anything. If it meets my needs for the price I have to pay, that's all I have upon which to base my decision. Buying overseas for me would mean risking having no warranty at all. I'm not willing to risk that on a single purchase that large. Perhaps if I were in the market for 100 units, the total savings would be enough to cover the cost of writing off one or two units that might be defective.

No one, at least not me arguing what your needs. I have no interest and it’s irrelevant to me.

my discussion has always been price parity. My last word.

Upvote 0
Hello, is it true, that using Canon R6 with his 20 Mpx sensor will restrict the high resolution of RF lenses? I read that they are capable of even 100 Mpx. Than it would be better to choose R5 with his 45 Mpx. Of course I will not print big pictures but I thought that maybe after zooming in you will still have much more detail as while using R6?
Could someone please answer my question? It's important to me to choose between R5 and R6.

Upvote 0
my discussion has always been price parity.
I really wouldn’t sweat it too much as comparing prices to the USA is never a good idea as they always get by far the best deals. And Oz like the UK have lots of red tape and tax that just adds to the cost of ever single thing we purchase.

I you want to hear my own horrific story of price parity, a few years ago when I wanted to upgarde my Phase One Back from a P65 to IQ260 (same CCD but different platform) I was quoted in the UK £14,000 + VAT however a dealer in the USA quoted me (after conversion) £8500.

£5500! :sick:difference for the exact same product.

Much bigger market to keep happy so they either get all the best deals to keep the gears turning or the dealers in the rest of the world are much greedier.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
How much it might cost to someone halfway around the world has no effect on my decision to buy or not buy anything. If it meets my needs for the price I have to pay, that's all I have upon which to base my decision. Buying overseas for me would mean risking having no warranty at all. I'm not willing to risk that on a single purchase that large. Perhaps if I were in the market for 100 units, the total savings would be enough to cover the cost of writing off one or two units that might be defective.
It’s all about options and possibilities. What would you say if R5 was priced at US$7,000.00 in US? That’s how we feel at times. Therefor a grey market product becoming more of a consideration for many in Australia.
A grey market product typically comes with a 12 month third party warranty. Typically an authorised Australian Canon repairer But engaged via a third party paid gig. Dollar notes are not hanging of trees in the land down under. We earn as much as some US folks in local currency. A$7,000.00 is quite a price to pay for many.

Upvote 0
How much extra do you think we pay in the U.S. for the same extended warranty you get for nothing extra? Not to mention that we pay around 8-10% sales tax that is not included in the price because the sales tax rate varies from one locale (State/County/City/District) to the next.

For me to buy the R5 at $3,899 requires an additional $311.92 in sales tax from an out of state online dealer and an additional $350.91 in sales tax from a brick and mortar dealer in my tax district. It could be 10% ($389.90) or more in nearby large cities, which is the only place I'll find a retailer who actually sells EOS R5 cameras over a counter.

That puts my out-of-pocket cost at $4,210-$4,289 USD, and I still only have a one year warranty. If I want to add CarePak for an additional two years (three years total coverage from time of purchase), that's an additional $243.99+sales tax.

So now I'm looking at $4,588 USD for an R5 with a three year warranty.
I think this post clearly puts into perspective that the Australian price of the R5 is about right. Approx $6500 including taxes and a 5 year warranty is probably even slightly better than Parity... not much to complain about.... still wish it was cheaper though

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Like the 1D X Mark III, the DR improvement will be on the lower end.

View attachment 191321
Wait a second. 1Dx III at ISO 12800 is at the same EV level as 5D4 at ISO6400? That’s a full stop of high ISO latitude advantage at 6400. Okaaay. I would like to see R5 curve. Overheating or not :))

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I think this post clearly puts into perspective that the Australian price of the R5 is about right. Approx $6500 including taxes and a 5 year warranty is probably even slightly better than Parity... not much to complain about.... still wish it was cheaper though
The question remains: will that 5-year warranty cover a professional use scenario? I think I know the answer. ;)

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Could someone please answer my question? It's important to me to choose between R5 and R6.

I think this video might give you some idea of the resolution of the R5 compared to the R6

I also read (or heard) that the AA filter of the R5 is the same as the 1DX3, so it has the best resolution of any Canon sensor to date. The R6 doesn't have that same filter, so there are some differences in how the image is resolved compared to the R5 when you're pixel-peeping. Even if you're printing large, the R6 should be good enough though and I doubt there is any "restriction" on resolution of RF lens that you would have to worry about missing out on. But if you can afford it, I'd wager you'd definitely get more from the RF lens with the R5 than the R6.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I just had a chance to play with the R5 (and R6, but I only played with the R5). My initial impressions:

It's smaller than I expected. Not in a bad way. Just coming off of the 5D4, I'm going to miss its weight and that balanced feeling I got with those heavy lenses attached. The R5 feels much more like the R- there's a noticeable weight disparity between the lens and body to me. Again, that's not a criticism, just an observation.

As for the functionality- the continuous highspeed shutter is insane! It's not something I imagine I'll need very much, but wow! I really hope sports shooters and birders are happy with it. As far as blackout, I haven't shot that much with the R, so I don't really remember what it was like. With the R5, it's not a blackout per se, and not exactly an afterimage. But it does have a very very slight delay with each exposure taken. It's not completely smooth, but I don't think it's like the R. I think it's still great for tracking fast moving objects.

The autofocus works like a dream. Unfortunately, I could only use it for about 15 minutes and was tethered to the stand in the store, but I really can't wait to take this out into the field.

The menu was easy to navigate (I knew where everything was, except for maybe some of the new features). I couldn't figure out how to switch to video settings unfortunately, so I'll have to figure that out when my own arrives.

Anyway, those were just some of my initial impressions. I also checked the GPS settings menu. It's exactly the same as the R's offering- not built in, it just gives you the option to connect to a GPS device or smartphone (via Canon Connect App). And for anyone else who might care, once again the Japanese version of this body only offers English and Japanese (instead of the 27 other languages that should be available in the other versions of this body).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Aren't the eyes of most bugs the closest thing in the frame to the camera when you are facing the bug from its front?
Not always, and you're not always facing them from the front. And I mention the eye of the bugs only as an example for ease of understanding. Most times for general objects I want to set focus where I get the best desired image (without an eye) and I'd just like the camera to take more exposures at +/- that distance to ensure a greater depth of field. The key to my statement is +/- and not just +.

Upvote 0
I record the audio separately using a digital recorder for slow motion gun fire. I find it easier to work with in post and safer for my gear not to be right on the firing line. Syncing slow motion video and audio is fun and easy.

Truth be told, it's not something I HAVE done yet, rather something I plan to do. In the BTS shoots I've seen on youtube, the camera guy is carrying his camera with a 'dead cat' mic attached and following the shooter. Good to know there are other options though, so thank you. What model digital recorder do you use, if you don't mind me asking? Does it attach to the hotshoe and how does it compare to a dead cat?

Upvote 0
Hello, is it true, that using Canon R6 with his 20 Mpx sensor will restrict the high resolution of RF lenses? I read that they are capable of even 100 Mpx. Than it would be better to choose R5 with his 45 Mpx. Of course I will not print big pictures but I thought that maybe after zooming in you will still have much more detail as while using R6?

Yes, 20mp sensor will have less resolution even if you compare it to the 45mp sensor image downsampled to 20mp. How optics work, by increasing the sensor resolution you always increase the resulting image resolution even with an unsharp lens.
As a reference without complex math https://photo.stackexchange.com/que...ra-sensor-or-the-lens-the-limit-to-resolution

Also 45mp will give much more room for cropping. So if resolution is important to you, chose the R5, but it comes at a higher price.

Upvote 0
Anyway, those were just some of my initial impressions. I also checked the GPS settings menu. It's exactly the same as the R's offering- not built in, it just gives you the option to connect to a GPS device or smartphone (via Canon Connect App).

Thanks for posting that. Do you know if camera connect app needs to be run in the foreground in order to send GPS updates to the camera? With remote shooting with 5DIV for example, it disconnects as soon as it's not in the foreground.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Thanks for posting that. Do you know if camera connect app needs to be run in the foreground in order to send GPS updates to the camera? With remote shooting with 5DIV for example, it disconnects as soon as it's not in the foreground.
I didn't have a chance to try connecting the camera to my phone. But someone with an R should hopefully be able to check and answer.

Yeah, I had that experience when remote shooting with my 5D4 too. Honestly, I kinda hate the Canon Connect App. I'm wondering if there is an alternative app or if Canon will overhaul it. I'm glad that there is some GPS option, I just hate that it relies on my smartphone's battery and the clunky Canon Connect. This will be my first Bluetooth Canon camera. Hopefully connecting to the app through Bluetooth will be more reliable than it's been for me connecting through wifi.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
As for the functionality- the continuous highspeed shutter is insane! It's not something I imagine I'll need very much, but wow! I really hope sports shooters and birders are happy with it. As far as blackout, I haven't shot that much with the R, so I don't really remember what it was like. With the R5, it's not a blackout per se, and not exactly an afterimage. But it does have a very very slight delay with each exposure taken. It's not completely smooth, but I don't think it's like the R. I think it's still great for tracking fast moving objects.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! My main concern is the EVF blackout. Sounds like Canon may be addressed it. On the R us terrible. I will have to test it myself.

Upvote 0