Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
It couldn't possibly have anything at all to do with the difference in the exchange rate between the AUD and JPY in late 2015 when the price for the 5D Mark IV was likely being set and in March of 2020 when the price of the R5 was possibly being set, could it?

View attachment 191366

In late December 2015 one AUD bought around 90 yen.

In mid-March 2020 one AUD bought around 65 yen.

In March 2020 it took 139 AUD to buy the same number of yen it took 100 AUD to buy in December 2015.

That just happens to be a 40% difference.

Hmmm. Where have we seen that number recently?

View attachment 191367

In contrast, the difference in the value of the USD vs. the JPY compared over the same two time periods (122 vs.107) was about 14%.

Hmmmmmm.

Feel free to have your last words as this will my last reply to your never ending justifications.

I am not going to waste my time. Enjoy your interaction with every comments from others as it seems you prefer to enjoy your spare time rather than take your camera out and make some photos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Feel free to have your last words as this will my last reply to your never ending justifications.

I am not going to waste my time. Enjoy your interaction with every comments from others as it seems you prefer to enjoy your spare time rather than take your camera out and make some photos.

We tried to give you lot of good answers, but you reject them all with very hostile attitude without giving any reasonable explanation why you don't like our answers. So mostly you've been wasting our time.

That currency exchange ratio looks quite convincing too, so most likely that was the reason.

I'm sure they changed the exchange ratio just to make it harder for you to buy R5.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What time did you place your order?

I called BH a few days go and they said they have no info on how many units they are receiving - but maybe shunsai has a connection at BH or called more recently than me. The person I talked to said they "should" have enough if going off past canon camera launches, but things are not like how they used to be - i'm sure there is limited production with everything happening in the world.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I called BH a few days go and they said they have no info on how many units they are receiving - but maybe shunsai has a connection at BH or called more recently than me. The person I talked to said they "should" have enough if going off past canon camera launches, but things are not like how they used to be - i'm sure there is limited production with everything happening in the world.

Maybe he has the secret Japanese password to get more Canon secret information. I'm still trying to guess if it's 旬歳 or 旬菜. My Japanese level is about equal to 三才 so I don't get the secret data.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
No one, at least not me arguing what your needs. I have no interest and it’s irrelevant to me.

my discussion has always been price parity. My last word.

My last words as you seem to continue to missed my point.

Promises, promises...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
What time did you place your order?
About 24 hours after the announcement I think (Friday evening where I am; Friday morning B&H local time). I didn't order right away because I wanted to confirm local prices in Japan first. The Japanese vendors were sloooooowwww about putting up any information (it seems they couldn't reveal their pricing until 10am the next morning; roughly 12 hours after the original announcement).

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
No, no special connections. I was told they would be receiving 10,000 units. Of course, I can't verify that, nor do I know if that was R5 body only (like my order), R5 kits, R6s or some combination of all the above. While I still feel there's a chance I could get one from the first shipment, I know that things happen so I'm not expecting it. Hoping, but not expecting.

Upvote 0
About 24 hours after the announcement I think (Friday evening where I am; Friday morning B&H local time). I didn't order right away because I wanted to confirm local prices in Japan first. The Japanese vendors were sloooooowwww about putting up any information (it seems they couldn't reveal their pricing until 10am the next morning; roughly 12 hours after the original announcement).

Interesting. I placed mine at about 10 AM Pacific so we’ll see where I land. Hopeful!

Upvote 0
No, no special connections. I was told they would be receiving 10,000 units. Of course, I can't verify that, nor do I know if that was R5 body only (like my order), R5 kits, R6s or some combination of all the above. While I still feel there's a chance I could get one from the first shipment, I know that things happen so I'm not expecting it. Hoping, but not expecting.

Thanks for the info Shunsai. I am hoping as well. I might give them another ring next week and see if I can get some more info as well.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
He said it is production copy and will post full review in two weeks.

And to people who wonder how he can have production copy 2 weeks before sales date, I would assume the actual production started around May so there's already huge stash of production unit to be sold to customers on release date (plus ship few units to selected reviewers).

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Are there any good reviews yet, meaning people who actually look critically instead of playing favor to Canon because they got early units?

Not yet, it seems the non-beta units went out only a few days ago and I wouldn't trust a review that took less than 2 weeks. Unless the reviewer had access to beta units already, like DPReview TV.

Jared Polin has posted early thoughts on his instagram after taking it to the zoo for a day, but they are mostly about the f/11 lenses. And how cropping and noise reduction are tools of the devil, gotta have some controversy to get all those clicks :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Anyone familiar with the (US) Canon Online Store. Do you think that the "estimated ship date" for the R5 being 7/30/20 means that anyone pre-ordering RIGHT NOW will still get theirs shipped on 7/30?

Canon Japan has already announced that preorders the first two days outstripped projected available supplies of the R5 on 7/30/20 and the R6 in mid-September.

Some skeptical folks (mostly the Sony fanboys in the comments sections at DP Review) say it's just a marketing tactic to make people panic and order one "before it's too late" to get one without waiting months and months for more to be made. Of course they say Canon made such an announcement because "no one" is pre-ordering any of the new cameras.

Nikon has been known to make this sort of announcement in the past. Canon typically hasn't. When Nikon has made such announcements, it usually did take them several months to get all orders filled and for a supply of the cameras or lenses in question to start showing as "in stock" at retailers.

So maybe there have been more pre-orders than can be filled quickly after cameras start to ship to the end users, or maybe Canon is taking a few pages from Nikon and Sony's marketing playbook. You make the call.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And to people who wonder how he can have production copy 2 weeks before sales date, I would assume the actual production started around May so there's already huge stash of production unit to be sold to customers on release date (plus ship few units to selected reviewers).

Since it seems Canon initially planned to announce these cameras at Photokina in late May with production copies available for guests to check out, one would presume production of the R5 started well before May. Canon usually insures that they have a sufficient number of units and accessories already arrived at each regional around the world (USA, Europe, etc.), where the cameras or lenses will be placed in retail packaging with included items sourced from other locations, before announcing a product launch.

Upvote 0