Price Drop: Canon EOS RP w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM $999 (Reg $1399)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has dropped the price of the Canon EOS RP w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM kit, it’s now under $1000 USD.
For anyone on a budget, but that wants to get into the EOS R system, this is a great place to start.
Key Features

Lightest, Smallest Full-frame EOS Camera
RF Mount Compatible with RF and EF/EF-S Lenses
High Image Quality with 26.2 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF for Fast and Accurate Auto Focus
Excellent Low-light Performance
Built-in EVF with 2.36 Million Dots, Touch & Drag AF
Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD
Easy Operation

Canon EOS RP w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM $999 (Reg $1399)

Continue reading...

The 6D Mark I and Mark II took forever to get down to that price level - and stayed there for only hours or days at a time, requiring selling a free Canon printer, etc and getting credits or rebates that were hassles. The 6D II is still much more expensive today. That camera with the 20-105 is currently $1800 on B&H, which includes a Canon $400 rebate.

I'd guess this means we might see a camera between the RP and the R6, or more of a pricing differential with a lowered R6 price. Canon appears to be making room in their pricing hierarchy. If a bare RP cost $799, and the R6 costs $2500, you could definitely see a non-IBIS 7fps full frame camera with better AF and tracking than the RP for something around $1500. Though the RP is a really nice entry camera. I have one for remotes, and whenever I use it in hand, it's always notable to me how capable it is. It's good enough that my wife has no interest in upgrading hers to a larger camera, even with IBIS, higher FPS, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'd guess this means we might see a camera between the RP and the R6, or more of a pricing differential with a lowered R6 price. Canon appears to be making room in their pricing hierarchy. If a bare RP cost $799, and the R6 costs $2500, you could definitely see a non-IBIS 7fps full frame camera with better AF and tracking than the RP for something around $1500. Though the RP is a really nice entry camera. I have one for remotes, and whenever I use it in hand, it's always notable to me how capable it is. It's good enough that my wife has no interest in upgrading hers to a larger camera, even with IBIS, higher FPS, etc.

Wouldn't that be the R? In the US, it's priced around $1700. It'll be interesting to see whether the R mark II will remain single slot and without Ibis to stay under $2,000.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Wouldn't that be the R? In the US, it's priced around $1700. It'll be interesting to see whether the R mark II will remain single slot and without Ibis to stay under $2,000.

Exactly my thoughts on the R filling the gap between RP and R6. My guess on the future is Canon might not release a EOS R Mark II instead they may have a R7 or R8 (if the R7 is reserved for the crop sensor camera).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
A
Exactly my thoughts on the R filling the gap between RP and R6. My guess on the future is Canon might not release a EOS R Mark II instead they may have a R7 or R8 (if the R7 is reserved for the crop sensor camera).
Agreed...they are keeping room for R... so I guess RP @800.. R @ 1300 .. 5DmkIV@1900... R6 @2300 ..probable price at holidays ...and I'll go for R if the gap is 600 between R and 5dmkIV.. R6 is perfect if someone comes out of mental barrier of 20mp {which i cant ..even though i understand 20 and 30 are same unless you print big}

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I concur. Don't envision a Mark II R body but rather think that Canon will just keep selling the R and RP bodies, albeit at a significantly reduced price, until the market no longer supports their sale. If Canon continues with all these new offerings, I might just have to go start a Go Fund Me page. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
I concur. Don't envision a Mark II R body but rather think that Canon will just keep selling the R and RP bodies, albeit at a significantly reduced price, until the market no longer supports their sale. If Canon continues with all these new offerings, I might just have to go start a Go Fund Me page. LOL!
I think there is still room for in the lineup for a weatherproofed 30mp camera having just one card slot and less video capability to keep it around ~$2000. However, it would have to have the updated autofocus capability, IBIS, and joystick over touchbar to sell. Those are meaningful changes, so I agree they would probably call it something different rather than R mkII.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Guys and gals, this deal can be combined with the Canon Loyalty Program for 15% off! I just bought this for $849 + Tax, and I plan on selling the kit lens to bring the cost down even more since this will be my back-up cam. I'm upgrading from the M6.

The number to call is: 1 (866) 443-8002, option "2"

Thanks for the tip, tempted to bite but BF so close...

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Wow! That is a mega deal

I was thinking of buying this exact combination instead of a new M Series body for holidays etc and given I already have the compact RF 35 1.8 it would makes sense. Bigger than an M Series but the RP is still compact and given the IQ vs a 1.6 crop sensor camera and better ISO this is very tempting.

Ah!... But sadly, I’m not seeing this deal in the UK at present and no holidays this year or in the near future given these crazy times sadly :(

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Hurrrrrrrrr, this is going to be really hard to resist. I've been looking for the right point to enter RF, but mainly been waiting for the right higher-end body to pair with the 24-70 f/2.8. The R5 looks amazing, but I can't justify the price for my needs right now. I was a bit disappointed by the R6's resolution despite its other specs.

But, for how much cheaper the RP is than everything else, and the fact that 5fps is good enough for anything I actually shoot, this may just be an irresistible first piece of equipment.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I wonder if Australia will get a price cut? For my next camera I'm considering the RP, 90D or 850D. I've never used a Full-frame so my concern with birding is will the images be too tiny after cropping to even look any good? It will be used with the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS. Or would I be better off sticking with the crop sensor?
For under $1k, I'd get a FF RP with RF 24-105 f4-7.1if I were you. For birding, when they're sitting/eating, you could get the RF 800mm f11 at an afforable enough price - It's amazingly lightweight for its length and I have one and it takes beautiful photos. You can also check out used prices for EF lenses and EF-to-RF adaptors or teleconverters if you want something ideal for birding at a lower price. The R mount and RF lenses are Canon's future, and you have a great opportunity to jump in to it right now - I say, "Buy it, and enjoy!" ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0