Questions about Shooting the Supermoon

The biggest perigee moon of the year is happening this weekend and I'm planning to shoot it. I've taken some simple shots of the moon in the past, but this time I'd like to do it right. My plan is to incorporate the silhouetted branches of a longleaf pine (the subject of an ongoing project of mine) in front of the moon. I realize I need to be way back from the moon to get them even remotely close to the same focal plane (within the lens, not the universe!), but I have some questions:

1. Roughly how far from the tree do I need to be, assuming I'm shooting at 300 (for a wider shoot) or 600mm (300 f/2..8 IS II + 2xIII)?

2. Forgive my extreme ignorance on the subject, but I assume the so-called moon illusion that makes it appear larger near the horizon is just a psychological phenomenon, not something visible in-camera, right?

3. How much does humidity degrade this type of shot? It looks like it will be somewhere between 65-85% , which is actually a bit low for this time of year.

Any advice you might have is appreciated :)

IslanderMV said:
2. Forgive my extreme ignorance on the subject, but I assume the so-called moon illusion that makes it appear larger near the horizon is just a psychological phenomenon, not something visible in-camera, right?

Yes, but the super moon is actually a bit larger, as the moon is a little closer to us.
I guess I wasn't too clear on this one - apparently the moon, super or not, appears larger when it's right near the horizon, even though it will actually be closer to us later in the night (this time around at least). It's something called the moon illusion (see this link).

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
1. You have time before Sunday to practice the shot, so I'd check where it's rising this evening, or Saturday and try some shots to gve you an idea of the best set up for you. I use Stellarium (freeware, excellent) if I'm planning pictures involving astral bodies other than the sun. There won't be enough size difference to mess up approximations of this sort.

2. Yes, when the moon rises, it is further away from the observer than when it is overhead, so is actually smaller.

3. Shouldn't be a problem, unless it is cloudy. Seeing that you don't live in the UK, where it is always overcast when there's anything happening in the night sky...

Upvote 0
lintoni said:
We have the remains of Hurricane Bertha due to arrive on Sunday, which just goes to prove my point! ;D or :'( ???
I was there (in Surrey) for the remains of Hurricane Charley, and it was quite a mess, so I hope you get through this one okay. Sorry about the sky, of course.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Thanks for the reminder mackguyver. I'll look forward to see some photos from you.

I just bought 2x TC III, should arrive today. I'll go with 800mm + 5d III plus cropping if needed ;D
Cool, I look forward to seeing yours as well. I'm thinking about bringing a couple of set ups and doing multiple shots, possibly including some composites, like they way Peter Lik shot this recent one:
http://www.lik.com/thework/newrelease.html

I'll share my results, good or bad, and good luck to everyone!

Upvote 0
lintoni said:
1. You have time before Sunday to practice the shot, so I'd check where it's rising this evening, or Saturday and try some shots to gve you an idea of the best set up for you. I use Stellarium (freeware, excellent) if I'm planning pictures involving astral bodies other than the sun. There won't be enough size difference to mess up approximations of this sort.
+1 on Stellarium, too, it's a perfect companion to The Photographer's Ephemeris and I just bought the paid version for my Android.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:
Thanks for the reminder mackguyver. I'll look forward to see some photos from you.

I just bought 2x TC III, should arrive today. I'll go with 800mm + 5d III plus cropping if needed ;D
Cool, I look forward to seeing yours as well. I'm thinking about bringing a couple of set ups and doing multiple shots, possibly including some composites, like they way Peter Lik shot this recent one:

Remember this? http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20493.0 Will not happen again ;D

I appreciated your comment though.... ;D ;D ;D http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20493.15

Attachments

• dylan 1st moon.JPG
    dylan 1st moon.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:

Remember this? Will not happen again ;D

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20493.0
LOL, yes, and that was brave of you to post that! I did the opposite when I first shot the moon. I spot-metered the moon and then set the manual exposure. Of course that turns white to middle gray, not really what you want, either. I think spot meter +1 EV works well as a starting place if I remember from my last shot.

Also, after checking the skies around here for Sunday - they are saying the stargazing forecast is Poor, so I may not even see the moon as they are calling for thunderstorms...

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
IslanderMV said:

Yes, but the super moon is actually a bit larger, as the moon is a little closer to us.

You are right about the Moon illusion. Wikipedia captures it well:

A popular belief, stretching back at least to Aristotle in the 4th century B.C., holds that the Moon appears larger near the horizon due to a real magnification effect caused by the Earth's atmosphere. This is not true: although the atmosphere does change the perceived color of the Moon, it does not magnify or enlarge it. In fact, the Moon appears about 1.5% smaller when it is near the horizon than when it is high in the sky, because it is farther away by nearly one Earth radius. Atmospheric refraction also makes the image of the Moon slightly smaller in the vertical direction.

The angle that the full Moon subtends at an observer's eye can be measured directly with a theodolite to show that it remains constant as the Moon rises or sinks in the sky (discounting the very small variations due to the physical effects mentioned). Photographs of the Moon at different elevations also show that its size remains the same.

Note that between different full moons, the Moon's angular diameter can vary from 33.5 arc minutes at perigee to 29.43 arc minutes at apogee—a difference of over 10%. This is because of the ellipticity of the Moon's orbit.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
mackguyver said:
LOL, yes, and that was brave of you to post that! I did the opposite when I first shot the moon. I spot-metered the moon and then set the manual exposure. Of course that turns white to middle gray, not really what you want, either. I think spot meter +1 EV works well as a starting place if I remember from my last shot.

The Moon receives the same light from the Sun as we do on Earth. So expose for a sunny day on Earth to expose the Moon correctly.
In the days of film I used the "sunny 16" rule: f16 at the reciprocal of the ASA (ISO). So 1/125 @ f16 for 125 ASA.
You don't need f16 for depth of field and for a long tele, you need a higher shutter speed. So f8 and 1/500 for 100 ISO or f8 and 1/2000 for 400 ISO. I would bracket to be safe.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
mackguyver said:
The biggest perigee moon of the year is happening this weekend and I'm planning to shoot it. I've taken some simple shots of the moon in the past, but this time I'd like to do it right. My plan is to incorporate the silhouetted branches of a longleaf pine (the subject of an ongoing project of mine) in front of the moon. I realize I need to be way back from the moon to get them even remotely close to the same focal plane (within the lens, not the universe!), but I have some questions:

1. Roughly how far from the tree do I need to be, assuming I'm shooting at 300 (for a wider shoot) or 600mm (300 f/2..8 IS II + 2xIII)?

3. How much does humidity degrade this type of shot? It looks like it will be somewhere between 65-85% , which is actually a bit low for this time of year.

Any advice you might have is appreciated :)

Without question, use the longer scope. The moon is only about 30 arcminutes in size, and even at 1200mm (600/4 II + 2x), it still doesn't fill the entire frame on my 7D (1200mm vertical AoV, the smallest AoV on a 1.6x APS-C sensor, is 43 arcminutes so still lager than the moon.) You want as many pixels as you can on subject so you can maximize detail.

Humidity is hardly a problem unless it fogs up your lens. If you can keep a very low power blow dryer on hand, you can combat fogging due to humidity.

The biggest issue is seeing, or atmospheric turbulence. That is going to be the single largest factor that will affect your ability to resolve good detail. Seeing ranges from extremely good (practically no turbulence at all, details from distant stars come through so well that you can clearly see the airy disk diffraction pattern under high enough magnification) to utterly horrible (you can't tell that a star is actually a round object, it looks like a boiling spotted blob that is about 5-10x larger than the star really is). This seeing affects the moon...if you zoom in really high in live view at your longest focal length (i.e. use the 600mm option for sure), you can actually see a rippling effect along the edge of the moon. That is atmospheric turbulence warping the edge.

With a long focal length, you can kind of "cut through" some seeing and resolve enough detail to be useful. The other option, which is what a lot of high res moon imagers use, is to take video frames of the moon, at a high frame rate, and stack them together. That averages out the turbulence, and you end up with mostly real detail. There is the potential for artifacts to occur from stacking like that, glows or halos around mountains (where the bright reflection of a mountain peak might be framed against deep shadow behind), but overall, using video allows you to get much better detail of well lit areas than a single frame (unless you have a LOT of focal length, and a lot of skill.)

Regarding the size of the moon at the horizon. There might be a very slight amount of refraction enlarging it, however overall the apparent size of the moon at the horizon, vs. when it is overhead, is primarily a perceptual thing. If your aiming for detail, you want to image when the moon is overhead...preferably at the Zenith, but within the overhead 45 degree angle of view where atmospheric thickness is thinnest (minimizes the impact of seeing.) Imaging the moon at the horizon is bound to greatly increase seeing issues, so it isn't good if you want to resolve detail.

If you want a nice, moody moon shot, the best time is when it's on the horizon...just rising, with a really long focal length, or shortly after it has risen with the moon partially obscured by clouds. The moon at sunset, with pink, red, and orange clouds around it, is nice as well. A crescent moon with foreground trees silhouetted against it is another nice moody shot. I've been photographing the moon for years, and have photographed it in almost every scenario possible. The biggest factor, really, is focal length. You want to get up to 1200mm if you can (for APS-C), or even 2000mm (FF) to really pack on the detail. At 300mm on APS-C, the moon is actually going to fill only about 1/50th the area of the frame...it's going to be pretty small. At 600mm on APS-C, the moon is going to fill about 1/12th of the frame.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
mackguyver said:
lintoni said:
+1 on Stellarium, too, it's a perfect companion to The Photographer's Ephemeris and I just bought the paid version for my Android.
Android - that reminds me, for your "how far away should I be?" bit, do you have Dof Calc on your phone/tablet?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jds.dofcalc

Upvote 0
lintoni said:
mackguyver said:
lintoni said:
Android - that reminds me, for your "how far away should I be?" bit, do you have Dof Calc on your phone/tablet?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jds.dofcalc
Yes, and the ND Calc as well

Upvote 0