Quick release camera strap for Canon 7D and/or 5D MkIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosedi

5D3 35,85,135,17-40,70-200,28-75SP,70-300SP,
Mar 19, 2012
I really like the CustomSLR split strap. It is a comfortable sling strap that has a very sturdy buckle for quick release. Previously I owned the Blackrapid RS-7 strap and the metal carabiner always was clanking on the body of my camera which did lead to scratches. No scratches after using the CustomSLR split strap.

Additionally, CustomSLR customer service is awesome. I had an early generation of the strap which wore out after 1 year of heavy use and they sent me a new improved generation of the strap for the price of shipping. Details here: http://imedwei.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/customslr-amazing-customer-service/

Best of luck finding an appropriate camera strap for you!

Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
scottsdaleriots said:
i dont know what you mean by "quick release" camera strap. do you mean the camera neck strap? but as someone mentioned above maybe try the black rapid strap, i read heaps of reviews on that and it seemspretty popular. personally i got a crumpler strap.

I want to use a camera strap when not working on a tripod. When I'm on the tripod I don't want the camera strap to be in the way. The Canon stock strap, while very well made, cannot be taken on and off the camera "quickly".

I know there are many model straps offered that allow for quickly taking the strap on and off the camera. I was seeking opinion on which ones people had good/bad experiences with and maybe why.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fotoray said:
I want to use a camera strap when not working on a tripod. When I'm on the tripod I don't want the camera strap to be in the way.

I'm very happy with the Blackrapid system. I use Arca-Swiss type plates on camera and lenses. Although the BR system uses a lug that threads into the tripod socket, I converted that to 'quick release' by connecting that lug to a Kirk 1" clamp (semi-permanently with Loctite Blue 242) - that way, I can connect the strap to the camera plate, a lens plate, or remove it for tripod/monopod use.

Attachments

• AS Plate Clamp Strap.jpg
    AS Plate Clamp Strap.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,661
Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
fotoray said:
I want to use a camera strap when not working on a tripod. When I'm on the tripod I don't want the camera strap to be in the way.

I'm very happy with the Blackrapid system. I use Arca-Swiss type plates on camera and lenses. Although the BR system uses a lug that threads into the tripod socket, I converted that to 'quick release' by connecting that lug to a Kirk 1" clamp (semi-permanently with Loctite Blue 242) - that way, I can connect the strap to the camera plate, a lens plate, or remove it for tripod/monopod use.

This is a smart solution. Couldn't find the Kirk 1" clamp on the Kirk website. Can you provide link and clamp model number. I'd like to consider this for comparison with another option I'm looking at - described below.

I use a RRS L-bracket for 7D (soon I'll add one for new 5D3) that uses Arca-Swiss interface. RRS has a B2-FAB clamp that attaches to the L-bracket and has a threaded tripod socket to attach to camera strap. See http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FAB&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-FAB-38mm-clamp-with-threaded-socket Example shows Black Rapid strap attached.

Is the Kirk 1" clamp about the same size as the B2-FAB? I want to minimize size and weight of the solution.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fotoray said:
Couldn't find the Kirk 1" clamp on the Kirk website. Can you provide link and clamp model number. I'd like to consider this for comparison with another option I'm looking at - described below.
It's the Kirk QRC-1, and here are Kirk and B&H links.

fotoray said:
Is the Kirk 1" clamp about the same size as the B2-FAB? I want to minimize size and weight of the solution.
The Kirk clamp (on the left in the images below) is smaller than the RRS B2-FAB (on the right), and doesn't have the little nubs on the bottom which you can see in the lower image.

RRS suggested I either file off the nubs to connect the FastenR-3 (which it looks like was done for the photo on the RRS page), or just mash the rubber washer down on them. Instead, I returned the RRS clamp, and kept the Kirk.

Attachments

• Clamps1.jpg
    Clamps1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,942
  • Clamps2.jpg
    Clamps2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,842
Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
fotoray said:
Couldn't find the Kirk 1" clamp on the Kirk website. Can you provide link and clamp model number. I'd like to consider this for comparison with another option I'm looking at - described below.

fotoray said:
The Kirk clamp (on the left in the images below) is smaller than the RRS B2-FAB (on the right), and doesn't have the little nubs on the bottom which you can see in the lower image.

RRS suggested I either file off the nubs to connect the FastenR-3 (which it looks like was done for the photo on the RRS page), or just mash the rubber washer down on them. Instead, I returned the RRS clamp, and kept the Kirk.

Most excellent! The Kirk QRC-1 seems like the better choice (and costs less too).

I've looked at the Black Rapid straps - the RS-4, RS-5 and RS-7. Which one do you have - recommend. I'm not too keen on the straps that have pockets for CF cards and cell phones - again, too much bulk.

Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
I have the RS-4, which does have a pocket, but it's a small one (two CF cards at most). The RS-5 seems too bulky to me, as well. The RS-7 looks ok, as does the RS-Sport-2.

I decided on the RS-7 with the curved strap and the Kirk QRC-1 clamp. This is an excellent way to go to/from the tripod - with one strap and multiple camera bodies. Thanks for your very helpful input!

Upvote 0
A

almograve

neuroanatomist said:
fotoray said:

fotoray said:

but it looks so hugely! :) (I know, I know not the main purpose...) could we see how it looks ON the camera?

Thanks,
almo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.