Random Acts of kindnes: Pics & Prose

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
On Saturday, I came across a homeless boy and took some pics, and thought of the excellent advice, comments and awesome photos on the site. I don't recall this ever been done before, but I thought it would be interesting to challenge everyone to post a street photo and the story that goes along with it. What was it that drew you to the photo-op, etc? I always love a good story, and I always look at the great pics and wonder what is going on when they were captured.

Here goes for my entry:

This past Saturday, I took an out of town guest to the popular Stockyards, located in Fort Worth, Texas. The Stockyards is a well preserved section of town that looks as it did 100 years ago, replete with cowboys and long horn cattle drives at 11:30 and 4:30 on Saturdays and Sundays.

Between western wear shops and steak houses, I came across this obviously homeless boy and his pet Pit Bull Terrier. The boy, who went by the name of Storm did not appear obviously psychotic, and the dog was amazingly sweet and affectionate, so armed with my 5DIII (which always goes with me when ever there is a potential photo-op), and my just repaired 24-70 2.8 II ( they don't bounce off the floor that well), I could not resist. My sweetie and guest knew to go on without me, because it would likely be a long time.

To be honest, what attracted me to storm at first was his dog, as I am always a sucker for dogs (as you might infer from my avatar, Zeus, the Great Dane). Secondly, he looked like he would be an attractive and approachable subject to photograph. I found Storm delightfully easy to speak with. After hearing much of Storm's story while shooting pics, I realized I was speaking with a boy who, were it not for the U.S. Navy, would be my boy right now!

I had decided to pack it in and catch up with my party when movement caught my attention from the right. What happened next was truly amazing, and even was at a loss for words.

Another apparent homeless man in a wheelchair came into the picture and gave Storm what appeared to be his last dollar. Unfortunately, this took place very quickly, and I was squatting and couldn't move in time, so could only manage this one shot showing the money exchange. What is NOT visible in the photo is the face of the man in the wheelchair. His right eye is missing, and his nose & chin are deformed. To me, it looked as if he was shot in the face and recovered. He was not in good shape to say the least. Perhaps, aesthetically, this was the best perspective for the shot.

Anyway, before wheelchair man gave Storm his dollar, I gave him a $20. I met up with my party, and when we came back about a half hour later, they were gone. I hope they both had a good meal.

And that is the story of that picture. I wish the picture was as good as the story, but it is what it is.

Anyone else?

sek

Attachments

• 8P8A9811.jpg
    8P8A9811.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,056

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
scottkinfw said:
Another apparent homeless man in a wheelchair came into the picture and gave Storm what appeared to be his last dollar. Unfortunately, this took place very quickly, and I was squatting and couldn't move in time, so could only manage this one shot showing the money exchange. What is NOT visible in the photo is the face of the man in the wheelchair. His right eye is missing, and his nose & chin are deformed. To me, it looked as if he was shot in the face and recovered. He was not in good shape to say the least. Perhaps, aesthetically, this was the best perspective for the shot.

Anyway, before wheelchair man gave Storm his dollar, I gave him a $20. I met up with my party, and when we came back about a half hour later, they were gone. I hope they both had a good meal.

And that is the story of that picture. I wish the picture was as good as the story, but it is what it is.

Anyone else?

sek
Befitting photo for a touching story... Hope I had an image to share for this thread, unfortunately I don't have any ... but it is a great idea to start a thread for these kind of powerful photos ... well done!

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
scottkinfw said:

Anyone else?

sek
Befitting photo for a touching story... Hope I had an image to share for this thread, unfortunately I don't have any ... but it is a great idea to start a thread for these kind of powerful photos ... well done!

Wow, such a great story & photo. Thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Isn't it a shame that none of us have a photo worthy of this thread? I mean I always think of making beautiful images of a sunrise/sunset or a beautiful bird or a great landscape or a beautiful portrait etc, but I never think of looking for opportunities that show human kindness and the good in all of us ... maybe people like me who come to online forums aren't really thinking about such virtues? :-[

Upvote 0
Beautiful things happen every day, all the time, but mostly unnoticed by the masses, let alone captured. Great shot and well done. Sadly, I too have no similar shot, but many of my favourite shots are complete chance encounters. The lesson all over us need to remember is that luck favours the prepared!

Upvote 0