Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I think one clarification is missing from Canon: how well does the IBIS work with EF lenses?
They addressed that in one of their Q&A Video right after the introduction (Rudy Winston I think). They said that on paper, the EF lenses will keep their CIPA rating but in the real world they’ll perform better in combination with the IBIS than without.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
while that 24-105L is one of the lenses rated for 8 stops.
I think something to keep in mind is that they are 'up to' ratings. And in a zoom lens, the actual amount of stabilization may vary with the focal length. Testing with one lens should already account for that, by going through the range. And as the image circle of the lens apparently plays a big role in the effectiveness, results from one lens will likely not transfer well to all other lenses, especially for EF ones.

Upvote 0
If you need to do long sessions, A ninja V will give you unlimited recording and no heating issues, I think that’s what a lot people do anyways with these cameras when they film a lot
I am not getting a Ninja V, I need unlimited 4K60 dual SD card video recording without any overheating internally. I have to stick to my Panasonic G9 with unlimited 4K60 hack on 1.2 firmware for now (even the AF isn't good enough) until something better comes along. Maybe the Sony A7S3 will be the one for me. Or maybe Sony or Canon soon come with an APS-C that has unlimited 4K60 to dual SD with perfect AF.. or perhaps the GH6/G10 will be the perfect camera upgrade for me. I consider myself pro videographer, I sometimes film 4-6 hours of long footage per day of filming with very short breaks between takes, and I can never have the risk of loosing all footage with an SD card loss/failure. I don't understand how any serious or semi-pro or pro videographer would even consider filming with an R6 that can record video to only one SD card slot. For example a wedding videographer who may lose footage to SD card corruption failure. It's unacceptable. Having to work around overheating and 30min limits is a total deal breaker for me. The Canon Full Frame range is not for me, not for now anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

If you want a really in depth review, he may be worth tolerating. His review of the 1dx III was thorough and he spent a lot of time breaking down the + / - of the camera. He went the extra step and kludged together a solution to actually shoot the 1dx III as a mirrorless so he could understand the full capability. If he does a thorough review, I can look past the personality. I know he is not for everyone and I can only tolerate in small doses.

It's not so much a dislike for his personality. It is how animated and strange he sounds. It is difficult to explain, the best I do is say people with sensory issues and autism don't do well with someone shouting at you. Unless it is a policeman, police are supposed to shout.

And aye his content of on the 1DXIII was great, I really quite liked how in depth he went. But it was a bit more calm than the usual.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[…] I consider myself pro videographer, I sometimes film 4-6 hours of long footage per day of filming with very short breaks between takes, and I can never have the risk of loosing all footage with an SD card loss/failure. […]
Such a small world! I’m in a few of your videos :) For the back to back interviews you’re doing it would suck to have a card malfunction at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Canon are pretty smart at marketing though- they split out features some might find must haves to the higher model, while leaving the lower model still competitive against many other brands.

They're masters of segmentation but for potential customers it's quite demeaning. "We know the one feature that you want, but you're going to have to pay for the next tier up to get it. Because we're in charge."

Imagine if cameras were like cars, wherein you picked your base platform and then specified sensor, software features and connectivity modules. The price might be higher but at least it was due to *your* choices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
This may be true, but unless something dramatic happens I'll never own anything but a mirrorless from here on out. I like them that much.
I agree, even though I don't own mirrorless, yet... (July 31 and counting...)

I was just pointing out that the R5 is not such a crazy high cost as some people keep saying or implying...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
They addressed that in one of their Q&A Video right after the introduction (Rudy Winston I think). They said that on paper, the EF lenses will keep their CIPA rating but in the real world they’ll perform better in combination with the IBIS than without.
I agree. I believe I also heard a canon rep indicate that with EF lenses with IS, the lens IS would work as usual and the IBIS would work on 2 of the 5 axis. I assume those are the axis the lens IS can't control/adapt.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I am not getting a Ninja V, I need unlimited 4K60 dual SD card video recording without any overheating internally. I have to stick to my Panasonic G9 with unlimited 4K60 hack on 1.2 firmware for now (even the AF isn't good enough) until something better comes along. Maybe the Sony A7S3 will be the one for me. Or maybe Sony or Canon soon come with an APS-C that has unlimited 4K60 to dual SD with perfect AF.. or perhaps the GH6/G10 will be the perfect camera upgrade for me. I consider myself pro videographer, I sometimes film 4-6 hours of long footage per day of filming with very short breaks between takes, and I can never have the risk of loosing all footage with an SD card loss/failure. I don't understand how any serious or semi-pro or pro videographer would even consider filming with an R6 that can record video to only one SD card slot. For example a wedding videographer who may lose footage to SD card corruption failure. It's unacceptable. Having to work around overheating and 30min limits is a total deal breaker for me. The Canon Full Frame range is not for me, not for now anyway.
It really sounds like you need a dedicated video camera and not a hybrid stills/video camera. Too many compromises in the latter.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
It was somewhere, but I don't remember where exactly. Basically the IBIS will work with IS in EF lenses, but it won't be 'coordinated', so not as good as with RF lenses with IS.

This is interesting I found it on digitalcameraworld.com re IBIS on both R5 and R6 how the none IS 28-70 f/2 and 50 and 85 f1.2 get 8 and 7 stops of IBIS even thought the lenses don’t have IBIS.

No mention on various EF lenses but it looks like it will differ lens to lens

Lens Lens IS only Lens IS + in-body IS
RF 24-70mm f/2.8L 5 stops 8 stops
RF 24-105mm f/4L 5 stops 8 stops
RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 5 stops 8 stops
RF 28-70mm f/2L None 8 stops
RF 70-200mm f/2.8L 5 stops 8 stops
RF 85mm f1.2L None 8 stops
RF 15-35mm f/2.8L 5 stops 7 stops
RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro 5 stops 7 stops
RF 50mm f/1.2L None 7 stops
RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 5 stops 6.5 stops
RF 100-500mm f/4.5-5.6L 5 stops 6 stops

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
It is rated at the maximum of 8 stops (Actually better than some other lenses with IS)

You can see the table they provided about RF lenses here.
I'm not sure I trust that report. It is from DPR not Canon. The chart where this information appears is contained in the paragraph about how well IBIS works with IS. It is easy for me to suspect that an exuberant reporter would lump all the new RF lenses together as having IS installed. I noticed that every other lens in that chart does have IS installed.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
They're masters of segmentation but for potential customers it's quite demeaning. "We know the one feature that you want, but you're going to have to pay for the next tier up to get it. Because we're in charge."
Don't take it so personally - Canon is a business, not your friend.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Does anybody else wish there was just a few more MPs..? That is literally the only thing I’m unsure about as I do bird photography.

But then I look at the 1Dxiii and think everything will be fine..

But then I look at my lens and think it’s not a 600mm f4 with a 1.4x TC..

I don’t know.

1DX birders that produce quality results are usually shooting huge glass with extenders.

I shoot almost exclusively wildlife. I didn't even consider the R6. I've done 20MP before and I can't afford 600mm F4 glass.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Jared Polin was unboxing his R5/R6 today and his reviews are usually pretty thorough. He said it would probably take 2 weeks to do a thorough review. I don’t think you can expect more than high level at this point since most of the reviewers have only had the cameras a short time.

I can't watch him. He makes my skin crawl and WHY IS HE ALWAYS SHOUTING???

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0