Review - EF 24 f/1.4L II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin's reasons for selling his 24 match up well with why I never got one.

Most of the time that I'm looking for 24mm, I'm almost instinctively reaching for the TS-E 24. And I'm not looking for speed at those times.

I think most people would be very happy with either the 24 f/1.4 or the TS-E 24, but I don't think very many would get a lot of use out of both. They're both 24mm L lenses, yes, but they're not at all interchangeable and have no overlap except focal length. One might think that therefore there'd be room in the kit for both...but, as I see it, if you're happy with the one the other isn't going to interest you much except as a very expensive novelty.

And I couldn't be more thrilled with the TS-E 24....

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:

Most of the time that I'm looking for 24mm, I'm almost instinctively reaching for the TS-E 24. And I'm not looking for speed at those times.

I think most people would be very happy with either the 24 f/1.4 or the TS-E 24, but I don't think very many would get a lot of use out of both. They're both 24mm L lenses, yes, but they're not at all interchangeable and have no overlap except focal length. One might think that therefore there'd be room in the kit for both...but, as I see it, if you're happy with the one the other isn't going to interest you much except as a very expensive novelty.

Cheers,

b&

I think the 24L II's utility depends on whether one shoots primes or zooms. I see it as competition with a 24-70 or a 24-105 (zoom vs. prime).

Upvote 0
How would you compare the 24 against the new Sigma 35 for portraiture?
I'm currently using the Canon 50 f/1.4 on a APS-C body, and while it's great, it is a little too long for indoor work, unless you are doing tight crops.
So, if you wanted a wider lens to complement your 50 (x1.6 = 80) for portrait work, would you go with the Canon 24L (x1.6 = 38.4) or the Sigma 35 (x1.6 = 56)?

Upvote 0
anthonyd said:
How would you compare the 24 against the new Sigma 35 for portraiture?
I'm currently using the Canon 50 f/1.4 on a APS-C body, and while it's great, it is a little too long for indoor work, unless you are doing tight crops.
So, if you wanted a wider lens to complement your 50 (x1.6 = 80) for portrait work, would you go with the Canon 24L (x1.6 = 38.4) or the Sigma 35 (x1.6 = 56)?

If you're sticking with APS-C you might also want to consider Sigma's 30mm f/1.4, it's a solid performer, maybe not "pro" quality, but I owned it for a while and got really good use of it. Or maybe even the 40m f/2.8 (it's sharp and low cost). The Sigma 35 f/1.4 is pretty remarkable, look for my review very soon.

24mm isn't particularly flattering for portraiture, environmental work, like weddings of photojournalism, where you want to isolate a subject within an "area" are definitely great uses for this lens, and yes, also very good on a crop body, even avoiding a lot of the lens "flaws" like vignetting.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
TrumpetPower! said:

Cheers,

b&

I think the 24L II's utility depends on whether one shoots primes or zooms. I see it as competition with a 24-70 or a 24-105 (zoom vs. prime).

In this I disagree. I have a multi zoom/prime kit, and the only zoom that I've seen produce a "look" like the 24mm prime is the new 24-70 ƒ/2.8 L II, wide open. It would, I think, complement someone with a 24-105, since that lens isn't particularly sharp at 24mm and starts at f/4... you're missing a lot of bokeh at that aperture. One of the reasons behind my original purchase of the 24 .14 was that I thought I could use it's shallow depth of field to isolate subjects in busy environments that I couldn't control.

My only fault there was that I didn't account for my own inability to properly focus the damn thing.

Upvote 0
JVLphoto said:
24mm isn't particularly flattering for portraiture

If your definition of "portrait" is "head-and-shoulders passport-style photograph," then, yes, that's true.

But your review has one portrait after another, and they're all really good! Indeed, I'd say that the 24 f/1.4 is one of the best portrait lenses there is -- provided you're not trying to use it for headshots.

Cheers

b&

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
JVLphoto said:
24mm isn't particularly flattering for portraiture

If your definition of "portrait" is "head-and-shoulders passport-style photograph," then, yes, that's true.

But your review has one portrait after another, and they're all really good! Indeed, I'd say that the 24 f/1.4 is one of the best portrait lenses there is -- provided you're not trying to use it for headshots.

Cheers

b&

lol, okay true, I guess I was just interpreting the comment one way. It's *great* for the kind of portraiture I did with it ;)

Upvote 0
It seems like 7D users complain about AF with this lens more than anyone else.
My copy focused very well at f/1.4 on my 5D3 and pretty well on my 5D2 and not badly on my 7D. I do see lots of 7D users complaining that it focuses terribly on their body though.

Anyway I sold mine for the 24-70 II though. I mostly used it stopped down and the 24-70 II is the one prime that can match the 24mm 1.4 II when both are stopped down. The 24 1.4 II had been among my most used lenses before though. I used the 760-200 f/4 IS and later 70-300L even more though.

Upvote 0
Thanks a for another nice review, Justin. I particularly like the last portrait (couple shot). Great color - very cinematic, and the angle is great.

One additional benefit of shooting primes (and why I think everyone should spend at least some time with a few primes) is how the lack of zoom range makes you think more creatively about framing, angle of view, and DOF. Primes helps build creativity. My personal kit is a mix of primes and zooms, and I like them both for different reasons.

I bring that up to say that your last shot to me is the kind of shot that one learns to take primarily be shooting primes and boosting creativity.

Upvote 0
I find few uses for f/1.4 at 24mm. I much prefer the 35mm focal length personally and there are some great options for the 35mm f/1.4 lenses too. Personally, I'm a new fan of the Sigma because of the sharpness but it is hard to argue with the Canon version either. Maybe Canon will replace it this year.
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 vs Canon 35mm f/1.4 - Fight!

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
I love this lens however I reach for the 35L more often as I do find that length somewhat more practical. However portraits from the 24 - particularly childrens', can be stunning.

I've recently compared the 24-70ii at 24 with this and whilst the zoom is as sharp, I actually like the 'look' of the prime marginally more - something almost 'film-like' about it. A tired or vague description perhaps but the 24L is really unique.

Upvote 0
frozengogo said:
I'm looking to rent a lens for a backpacking trip this summer in the Sierras and was looking at the Zeiss ZE 21mm f/2.8 would you go with the Zeiss 21 or Canon 24. Manual focus isn't an issue.

I had the 24 first on a 5D II but quickly wound up swapping it out for the 21 Zeiss. I'd hoped to use the fastness of the 24 for night sky stuff but the coma is so extreme it rendered it useless for that and needed stopped to at least F2.8 anyway. The Zeiss is dope.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.