Voigtlander 50mm f1 Nokton RF Review

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Gordon from CameraLabs has done a great review of the Voigtlander 50mm F1.0 Nokton RF. Yes, that’s an F-One-Point-Zero. Of course, the only reason it’s allowed on our precious RF mount legally is that it’s manual focus, so, at F1.0, that’s going to provide some challenges. But if you grew up with manual focus lenses

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Unless I've lost the plot, the illustration shows an EOS R5 with an RF50mm f/1.2 compared to the same camera with an EF 50mm f/1.2 lens WITHOUT AN ADAPTOR - which is wrong two ways... It's impossible, and it's not a Nokton f/1.0. Try again...
The article is wording that bit very awkwardly, but the way I read it is: "Camerasizes.com has no picture for the Nokton yet, but it's smaller than the EF50 f/1.2L, here's a picture of the EF50L on the R5, without an adapter because the Nokton is a native RF mount lens."

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I wouldn't hesitate one second: RF 1,2/50.
Optically better, AF, "moderate" price difference. Even though the Voigtländer is tempting...
Voigtländer have proven once again that they are able to develop and produce great lenses! If only their WA Leica M mount lenses were 6 bit coded...
Presently, with the exception of the 15mm III, they are unusable on Leica digitals.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
Looking at perfect RF 50/1.2, I cannot justify the price of that Voighländer. IMHO I define such kind of lenses as “effect lenses“ of “mood lenses to walk and play with“. I have the Zeiss 1,4/50 ZE lens for that as an example. It didn‘t cost me much. This prime costs too much for such kind of the equipment and isn‘t good for serious usage today. Maybe in a few years as used item from those who‘s disappointed in it and ready to get rid of for less.

To admins: please do something with your editor to avoid \"escaping\" special characters. Not many people are able to type specialized quotes from their keyboards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
Voigtländer have proven once again that they are able to develop and produce great lenses!
I‘d say it‘s a bit too loud statement. Voigtländer is able to make not bad lenses in its category but they are just a fraction better than that gazillion of “Chyunese artisans“, no more. Their marketologists should keep that fact in mind each time they draw a price tag for a new model. The APO-Lanthar series is the only exclusion.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I‘d say it‘s a bit too loud statement. Voigtländer is able to make not bad lenses in its category but they are just a fraction better than that gazillion of “Chyunese artisans“, no more. Their marketologists should keep that fact in mind each time they draw a price tag for a new model. The APO-Lanthar series is the only exclusion.
You are right about the Apo Lanthars, these were the lenses I actually referred to. The other ones are still well made, though never exceptional...
By the way, Cosina, Voigtländer's parent company, also produces some of the sharpest lenses ever. For instance the Zeiss ZM 2,8/25 I own, (I read somewhere of 400 lines per mm.) and 90% of the other Zeiss lenses...

Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
The other ones are still well made
They are really well made. They even can look beautifully being mounted on some cameras. However, "well made" does not automatically mean they shoot well.

Yeah, Cosina is also has a relation to the modern Zeiss and even it manufactured Zeiss-branded lenses. Though there's a Voigtländer and there's Zeiss.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
They are really well made. They even can look beautifully being mounted on some cameras. However, "well made" does not automatically mean they shoot well.

Yeah, Cosina is also has a relation to the modern Zeiss and even it manufactured Zeiss-branded lenses. Though there's a Voigtländer and there's Zeiss.
And the difference (2,8/35 vs. 2,8/35 Zeiss ZM) can be huge...

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019

Those Zeiss lenses are huge - and they deliver.
Voigtländers are tiny - sometimes smaller than the Leica Ms - and they are not too bad in delivering.
Some Leicas are great, all are by far too expensive.

Upvote 0