Cosina will announce a NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical for the RF mount

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Looks like they've restyled it

Cosina-is-Making-A-50mm-f1-its-First-a-Canon-RF-Mount-Lens.jpg
That is...unfortunate. The scalloped focus ring was, for me, a very valuable feature, as it differentiated that ring from the f-stop ring.

Tactile feedback is, for me, very important with things I must adjust while looking in a different direction.

Oh well. Saved me $2K.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
It doesn't work on r5 with fully manual lens, yes this is a shame it sucks, the only focus "assist" is the focus peaking, and zzom (but focus peaking doesn't even work zoomed'in). R% with manual lens just sucks

With all due respect, yes, it does.

I have an R5, and I use it with both a Canon FD 50mm f1.2, and some 100 year old view camera lenses, and the red highlights on the screen showing what is in focus is invaluable for making certain the correct areas are in focus.

Is there some other feature you are talking about?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I have an R5, and I use it with both a Canon FD 50mm f1.2, and some 100 year old view camera lenses, and the red highlights on the screen showing what is in focus is invaluable for making certain the correct areas are in focus.

The triangle focus aid:
7E3BFCDC-BC0B-4702-A9B2-DDB943E140F9.jpeg

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That is...unfortunate. The scalloped focus ring was, for me, a very valuable feature, as it differentiated that ring from the f-stop ring.

Tactile feedback is, for me, very important with things I must adjust while looking in a different direction.

Oh well. Saved me $2K.
One is a lot wider than the other, I don't think anyone would have much trouble after getting used to them.
Easier to use with a follow focus for video as well.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It doesn't work on r5 with fully manual lens, yes this is a shame it sucks, the only focus "assist" is the focus peaking, and zzom (but focus peaking doesn't even work zoomed'in). R% with manual lens just sucks
Wow....just....wow.
I'm shocked.

I have been accumulating a number of vintage, fully manual lenses and love the looks I get on them on other cameras.
I'm soon in the market for a Canon RF camera...or so I thought.
One of the main things I live about going mirrorless is that ability to adapt almost any vintage lens out there to it....but with my bad eyes, I need to have focus assist.

I had no idea that Canon, unlike most other mirrorless systems that I know of...doesn't have real focus assist tools for manual lenses?!?!?
:O

I wonder if the 5R2 will have this....

I mean all other mirrorless I've used so far...I turn on focus assist and even can choose the color of the marks that indicate edges that are in focus.

And Canon doesn't do any of this???

:(

Do none of the Canon R cameras work with old, fully manual lenses with no electric communications?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Ok...now I'm confused....some say it works and others say it doesn't....

I don't have a camera store local where I could go and test with an old lens...grrr.

C

Upvote 0
Such a lens is as much about its physical aesthetics as it's image rendering prowess (however impractical it may be). The one thing that strikes me as odd bringing it to the RF line is Canon does not have a throwback retro style camera to match, so having such a classical lens body mated to an ultra contemporary camera body will just clash badly. This lens is for the zfc, fuji x, leica, etc.
Exactly my thought. That lens looks beautiful and I would definitely buy it, but it doesn't look right on the R system. And to those that commented, yes some of us do care about how a camera and lenses look. Just like people that care about how their car or bike, or shoes look. It's one of the reasons why this year I sold my Canon R and all my EF lenses. And after many years using both, am going with my Fuji X-Pro2 and fuji glass. Their camera are just more fun to use, are smaller, lighter, have manual dials, and (to me) look great too. Plus most of the Fuji and legacy lenses look right at home on the Fuji cameras. Well sadly, not the new Sigma lenses, which don't include an aperture ring, And just look... bleh. Now the FE Mount Sigma primes (f1.4, and f2) do look the business.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Serenesunrise

EOS R8, AE1 P
CR Pro
Mar 27, 2019
Ipswich
Wow....just....wow.
I'm shocked.

I have been accumulating a number of vintage, fully manual lenses and love the looks I get on them on other cameras.
One of the main things I live about going mirrorless is that ability to adapt almost any vintage lens out there to it....but with my bad eyes, I need to have focus assist.

I had no idea that Canon, unlike most other mirrorless systems that I know of...doesn't have real focus assist tools for manual lenses?!?!?

I mean all other mirrorless I've used so far...I turn on focus assist and even can choose the color of the marks that indicate edges that are in focus.

Do none of the Canon R cameras work with old, fully manual lenses with no electric communications?
I have a EOS R camera and focus assist works with my manual lenses, a Lensbaby Velvet 56mm and a Canon FD 135 f2
Focus assist also works on my EF lenses when using them in manual.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Wow....just....wow.
I'm shocked.

You do have focus peaking with all R cameras on vintage lenses - and you can zoom in if you want to verify.
But you do not have the little box with the arrows switching color when four is accurate. This only being available on manual lenses with electronic contacts like i.e. Zeiss for EF or Canon TS-E lenses.

I do shoot vintage glass on RF, this is absolutely an option to do with focus peaking, better than ever with SLRs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
I thought that like most other cameras...the Canon R5 manual focus assist tools did NOT require any electrical contacts or communication with the lens...
If that is not the case, then it would be useless with old vintage lenses....?
I use the focus assist on other cameras on old vintage manual lenses and they work great, I was assuming the R5 (and the rest of the newer Canon R line) would focus assist without communicating with the lens...?

Can someone clarify please?

Cayenne
Canon has several focus assist functions, some need electronic communication with the lens, others don't.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
You do have focus peaking with all R cameras on vintage lenses - and you can zoom in if you want to verify.
But you do not have the little box with the arrows switching color when four is accurate. This only being available on manual lenses with electronic contacts like i.e. Zeiss for EF or Canon TS-E lenses.

I do shoot vintage glass on RF, this is absolutely an option to do with focus peaking, better than ever with SLRs.
Ok, thanks for all your responses.
I don't know what the arrow thing is.....but seeing there are many focus assist methods, some requiring contacts and some not....as you said in another post makes me feel a bit better.

Others were saying things that really confused me and frankly I was having a hard time believing a modern Canon camera would not be able to have some sort of focus assist for old manual lenses with no electronic contacts.

Thanks for the clarifications!!
C

Upvote 0