Cosina will announce a NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical for the RF mount

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Looking forward to the reviews on this one. Could be a fun lens. F/1 will create enough interest. But I'll be watching for IQ (expect it to be soft) and how it renders an image. At 650 g, it is no featherweight, but that is significantly lighter than the RF 50 f/1.2 and Sigma 50 f/1.4 A, but a bit heavier than the EF 50 f/1.2

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Canon looking all kinds of crazy out here, with no 50 1.4 update. What is their problem?

I\'ve been asking several photo review website persons if canon has told them anything...no dice.

Gotta put the pressure on them...heck without sony, who knows what canon mirorr-less & AF would look like.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
My Guitar Amp goes to "11" (Nigel Tufnel/Spinal Tap)
lol do you realise that those ultra-fast aperture autofocusing prime lenses were an important reason why Canon switched to the EF-mount from the FD-mount to have bragging rights over Nikon (f/1.4 not the same as f/1.2).
And now the f/1.0 factor is dismissed over f/1.2 - that's some twisted logic

Upvote 0
I won't pay 18$ for a manual lens, let alone 1.800$
Price is reflective on the target market. ;-)

Canon's RF system is reflective of the sort of user they want to cater to. Them refusing to license the full RF mount is another indicator what they want to do.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I have the M-Mount version of this lens....I think I got it for about $1700, or maybe it was slightly less, as that it was "technically used", from the Voigtlander distributer in the US CamerQuest ...

I run this beast attached to a Leica M10 Monochrome camera and wow...this thing practically sees in the dark, especially with the monochrome sensor.

It would be interesting to have the RF version that had a closer focusing distance....I'm holding out to see if a R5 II comes out any time in the near future....so, I'm not on the RF track yet.....

But I have played with a lot of voigtlander manual lenses on my Leica and have been very impressed...I'd not hesitate to try a RF version.

Hmm...that kinda brings to mind.

When lenses like this come out....which mount is the BEST to get that is adaptable to more cameras? Since you can adapt just about any lens you want to any mirrorless camera...which is the optimum mount to get that makes it easier to mount on multiple camera systems?

Hmmm

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
The Voigtländer NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical RF-mount lens is expected to weigh 650 grams https://www.cosina.co.jp/news/cp2023-reference-exhibit/ The EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens with the Canon EF-EOS R mount adapter (both caps removed, lens hood not mounted) weighs exactly 701 grams. This is only 51 grams difference to the disadvantage of the Canon lens. Only that the Canon lens has AF, and even with the sick prices we have in the world now, it will be cheaper than this Cosina product.

The cost of buying a new copy of the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM lens in Poland in stores with the status of an official Canon store is on average 7999 PLN, used on online auctions is on average 4400 PLN. The cost of buying a new Voigtländer NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical lens with VM mount (Leica M) from an authorized distributor of this brand in Poland is 8199 PLN, and in the case of the RF mount version I would not expect a lower price.

As a matter of fact, it is not known whether the version with the RF mount will go on sale at all. Why? Well, somehow I don't see it in the catalog for 2023 https://www.cosina.co.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/catalog/v-catalog.pdf

I dug through the entire Voigtländer NOKTON 50mm F1.0 Aspherical group on Flickr, and pulled out all the photos where someone attached this lens model (I have no idea what mount) to the R6:

If this lens model is released for sale, am I going to buy it? I don't think so. I'm tired of manual lenses. I am currently trying to sell used manual lenses Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE with EF mount and Super Reflecta 55mm f/1.4 with M42 mount at very good prices through our Polish forum of users of Canon devices, and no one is interested in them. On a daily basis, when it comes to the 50mm focal length, I use the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM and RF 50mm F1.8 STM lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
When lenses like this come out....which mount is the BEST to get that is adaptable to more cameras? Since you can adapt just about any lens you want to any mirrorless camera...which is the optimum mount to get that makes it easier to mount on multiple camera systems?
Find the one with longest flange distance. In this case it would be the Leica M mount.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
What I'm curious about is if it will allow (thanks to its electronics contacts), the manual assist thingy to show up on the R5
I thought that like most other cameras...the Canon R5 manual focus assist tools did NOT require any electrical contacts or communication with the lens...
If that is not the case, then it would be useless with old vintage lenses....?
:O
I use the focus assist on other cameras on old vintage manual lenses and they work great, I was assuming the R5 (and the rest of the newer Canon R line) would focus assist without communicating with the lens...?

Can someone clarify please?

Cayenne

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I thought that like most other cameras...the Canon R5 manual focus assist tools did NOT require any electrical contacts or communication with the lens...
I use the focus assist on other cameras on old vintage manual lenses and they work great, I was assuming the R5 (and the rest of the newer Canon R line) would focus assist without communicating with the lens...?

Cayenne
It works fine (focus assist) on my EOS R with the RF mount Laowa 100mm 2x f2.8 - which famously has no electronic coupling with Canon bodies.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2022

Cayenne
It doesn't work on r5 with fully manual lens, yes this is a shame it sucks, the only focus "assist" is the focus peaking, and zzom (but focus peaking doesn't even work zoomed'in). R% with manual lens just sucks

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Screen-Shot-2023-02-22-at-23-43-15.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0