Cosina will announce a NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical for the RF mount

Honestly, who would buy the Cosina for $1800 whén, for $300 more, you could get one of the best AF (!) lenses on the market?
And the F 0,2 difference, provided real, won't be a sufficient reason.
The only benefit is size. The photography market has moved away from small, fast primes that have some compromises wide open in favor of large, fast primes with really useful things like IS and great wide open performance. Nevertheless, I still would really love a native mount, small, fast, nicely built prime. I love my Zeiss primes but on the RF mount with the adaptor the form factor is gone.

So IMO that's the appeal - size, build, and form. Now at $1,800? I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
I don't think price will be a major concern for those in the market for exotic glass. To me this looks like a rich doctor's lens, not a workhorse for your average 'tog. It'll likely come down to 2/3 stop advantage of the Cosina over the Canon, versus Canon having autofocus and digital aperture control. I'm sure rendering will also be a major consideration.

• Haha
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Such a lens is as much about its physical aesthetics as it's image rendering prowess (however impractical it may be). The one thing that strikes me as odd bringing it to the RF line is Canon does not have a throwback retro style camera to match, so having such a classical lens body mated to an ultra contemporary camera body will just clash badly. This lens is for the zfc, fuji x, leica, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Since when this is a requirement? People adapt all sorts of lenses to their mirrorless cameras, irrespective of how they look.
Voigtlander-NOKTON-50mm-f1-Aspherical-lens-for-Nikon-Z-mount-2.jpg
That being said, the Z version does look decent on a not so retro Z7II, the RF will be no different.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Such a lens is as much about its physical aesthetics as it's image rendering prowess (however impractical it may be).
I didn't understand this attitude two weeks ago, and I still don't. Do people really care as much more about how they look when taking pictures that the actual pictures they take?

Upvote 0
I didn't understand this attitude two weeks ago, and I still don't. Do people really care as much more about how they look when taking pictures that the actual pictures they take?
Can only speak for myself but it's not about how one looks oneself, it's more that beautiful, well built things are fun to use and inspire one to pick up the camera, and over the course of years, inspiration is half the battle.

On the other hand, and while firmly believing what I just wrote, having bought the 14-35 and 70-200 f4 and experiencing the AF of these lenses with the R6II (which seems like magic), MF lenses are going to be a hard sell unless they're special.

Upvote 0
Can only speak for myself but it's not about how one looks oneself, it's more that beautiful, well built things are fun to use and inspire one to pick up the camera, and over the course of years, inspiration is half the battle.

On the other hand, and while firmly believing what I just wrote, having bought the 14-35 and 70-200 f4 and experiencing the AF of these lenses with the R6II (which seems like magic), MF lenses are going to be a hard sell unless they're special.
No offense and with utmost respect but what you describe reminds me of an marketing person's spiel. ;-)

I love the build quality and industrial design of the Leica M cameras. It makes you so look like a photographer who knows their business!

But the thought of having to put up with a manual focus/aperture lens will not motivate me to carry that around.

Although the invention of the Leica X & Q addresses that shortcoming for millenials.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Looks like they've restyled it

Cosina-is-Making-A-50mm-f1-its-First-a-Canon-RF-Mount-Lens.jpg
Haven't seen it anywhere else. I assume this is photoshop or AI generated? Found it on Asobinet. Suprising to see Voigtlander rebuild a housing just for RF mount, or perhaps they will release this version's availability across all mounts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
The answer to that would be "yes". Humans are vain creatures.

It is the same reasoning why some would spend millions on certain hypercars, never to drive above road speed limits and get you from point A to point B in the same time a $30k Toyota would.

Same with watches, spend hundreds of thousands to tell the same time a $10 Timex would.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Since when this is a requirement? People adapt all sorts of lenses to their mirrorless cameras, irrespective of how they look.
Voigtlander-NOKTON-50mm-f1-Aspherical-lens-for-Nikon-Z-mount-2.jpg
That being said, the Z version does look decent on a not so retro Z7II, the RF will be no different.
It is never a requirement, but the sharp industrial lines clash with soft curveous body design language, making them look not of one unified unit. The Z7ii by contrast is much more akin to Sony design with boxy and sharp lines on the body thus pairs itself much better with the Nokton from its combined outward appearance.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The answer to that would be "yes". Humans are vain creatures.

It is the same reasoning why some would spend millions on certain hypercars, never to drive above road speed limits and get you from point A to point B in the same time a $30k Toyota would.

Same with watches, spend hundreds of thousands to tell the same time a $10 Timex would.
Fair enough. Sure, I get that. I was just trying hard not to say that such people are idiots.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
No price but Cosina has announced the lens. I hope Venus laowa starts adding electromagnetic diaphragm to their RF lenses as well.

Upvote 0
It's really frustrating how Canon have dragged their heels over the ef 50mm f1.2 / f1.0 developement. As much as I like the look of the new rf 35mm f1.4...however f1.0 should have been the design goal. When Canon developed their fast primes on the EF mount (a long time ago) they were a revolution. Unfortunatly most of the new RF versions are new forumlas using the same concept. Why not an RF trio of F1.0 fast primes?

Upvote 0