Rumors confirmed: Canon EOS M50 Mark II and a new Speedlite are coming soon

The timing of this release is probably being driven by Fuji.

You guys have heard of the X-T4 (great IBIS, weather proof, two card slots and all the rest) the high performance crop frame camera that Canon should have been making rather than the 90D. Well on 15 October Fuji are announcing the X-S10. Which essentially is a slimmed down version of the X-T4. We know it will be DSLR style, have IBIS and a full articulating screen and sell for $999.

(In the absence of any viable Canon camera with a crop sensor that could could compete on performance and price I stumped up for an X-T4 and some lenses and I've been mightily pleased).

So I figure the M50 MkII will pretty much match the Fuji on specs and retail at about the $999 mark. Though being Canon it won't have the full range of control dials like Fuji and they'll find other ways of crippling the spec so it doesn't cannibalise sales from the rest of the range.

I'm waiting to see how they compare. I'm leaning towards the fuji, though some of their XF glass is a bit heavy for a smaller body. An M50 II might be just the ticket for street photography with some M glass like the 22.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I LOVE the m6 Mark II, I bought a 2nd one...if the m50 II is better then woot!

But the camera body is not where the system is coming up short. They need more/better lenses.

And as someone posted earlier, this will go into competition against the xt-4/ X-S10 which is going to be VERY stiff competition.

Once I sell my Canon Full frame gear, (going sony due to canon's cripple hammers), my loyalty to the apsc mount will be much less.

If they cripple the m50ii (which I am sure they will) It will be via con dios for me!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I LOVE the m6 Mark II, I bought a 2nd one...if the m50 II is better then woot!

But the camera body is not where the system is coming up short. They need more/better lenses.

And as someone posted earlier, this will go into competition against the xt-4/ X-S10 which is going to be VERY stiff competition.

Once I sell my Canon Full frame gear, (going sony due to canon's cripple hammers), my loyalty to the apsc mount will be much less.

If they cripple the m50ii (which I am sure they will) It will be via con dios for me!

If you don't need IBIS or a fully articulating screen the Fuji X-T30 is better than the M50 in every way. Full 4k, better EVF etc.etc.

Good point about glass, I miss my M50 in some ways but to make the most of it (outside of the 22mm) I used an adaptor and strapped on an EF-S 15-85 or EF-S 55-250 a lot of the time.

And you make a good point about loyalty. It was rather painful to sell my Canon gear, though having done so I don't have any loyalty to a particular brand. Canon has been, and I think continues to be the case, complacent about the big gaps in their current product line and the shortcomings of quite a lot of their products. Once brand loyalty has gone, it has been lost for good.

Upvote 0
Happy I sold my M50 but held on to my EF-M lenses now! Well, I will be if this gets a second dial, Fv mode and top notch AF. Oh and minimum shutter speed with auto-ISO in Av mode. Not too much to ask...surely?!
What you describe is a M6Ii.
Well see if Canon pursue his "all-in" cycle and release a M50 wich will top the line until another one comes....
The first M50 came with few bell and whistles that the M5/M6 didt had ( new digic/4k mainly).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

You guys have heard of the X-T4 (great IBIS, weather proof, two card slots and all the rest) the high performance crop frame camera that Canon should have been making rather than the 90D. Well on 15 October Fuji are announcing the X-S10. Which essentially is a slimmed down version of the X-T4. We know it will be DSLR style, have IBIS and a full articulating screen and sell for $999.

(In the absence of any viable Canon camera with a crop sensor that could could compete on performance and price I stumped up for an X-T4 and some lenses and I've been mightily pleased).

So I figure the M50 MkII will pretty much match the Fuji on specs and retail at about the $999 mark. Though being Canon it won't have the full range of control dials like Fuji and they'll find other ways of crippling the spec so it doesn't cannibalise sales from the rest of the range.

I'm waiting to see how they compare. I'm leaning towards the fuji, though some of their XF glass is a bit heavy for a smaller body. An M50 II might be just the ticket for street photography with some M glass like the 22.
Canon doesn't work that way. They are on their own path.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Holy moley hell yessssss. Im about to sell this m50 finally, never even used on a shoot...was going to buy a m62 next week.

just give it IBIS and cut down on the harsh shutter slap that seems to infect M models since the (terrible for me, returned, m3.

Oh yeahahhhh :):):):):):)

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com

If you're not considering fuji, this does not matter at all. Now with canon finally finding its mojo, whats the point of a fuju for canonites, especially if you dont have extra cash to burn.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I have a Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT in box waiting for R5 delivery. Returning it! I'll wait for the EL-1.
I have two of them that I've never really learned how to use and I'm not super appreciative of trying to make tiny lights feel like big lights. If I had the cage I'd trade them I'm for a pair of a600s. I bought them to replace an old pair of 580s because the line of sight was tragic outdoors.

Also ettl has never ever worked for me...every shot is slightly different lighting output and I hate it Just sharing my speedlight pain, great for every one who has been able to use them coherently.

Upvote 0