Samsung NX1 - FF level quality in an APS-C?? Imaging Resource samples...

Another review, this time from the video side:

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/samsung-nx1-review-glory-technology/#prettyPhoto

Sounds like the 4k video in the NX1 is really good. Between the IQ, the nice DSLR-style body and ergos in a mirrorless design, and the hardware programmability...this is one hell of a camera. The programability, more so than the IQ even, is the real gamechanger.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
Aglet said:
jrista said:
All I can say is...WOW. I'm hooked on the NX1!! :p I think it may be my new high speed birding camera some time next year, assuming the lenses pan out. I think I'd get this before I got an A7r even...as I am well and truly impressed.

I also find Samsung's entry into higher end ML to be quite interesting and might consider one myself, especially if there's a nice post-intro price drop next year.

Did you read the link in the post I made a while back?

www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8958f61376cc00ed7968518a7299d155&topic=23052.0

it mentioned a bit about the hardware tech inside the camera, an aspect of which I think that you, given your vocation, might find extra appealing. :)

I returned my 7D2, mine had some serious initial AF lag issues which may well be improved in a firmware update but for now, ALL of my ML bodies and comparably long lenses can AF faster than the 7D2 I tried with its initial firmware. EDIT: that's with the long lens I tested it with, the venerable, original, 100-400mm L.

I hadn't read that yet, but yeah. Incredibly impressive technology. Programmable hardware...as hardware? I've never heard of anything like that in a consumer product. That's incredible! Bringing apps to cameras in a way that is actually meaningful to cameras...that kicks ass.

Yeah, I think Samsung has a solid winner here. All they need to do now, now that they have some seriously competitive sensor and ISP technology, is to build out the ecosystem...lenses and customer support. I hope they do that properly.

Sounds like they're using an FPGA at some point in the pipeline.

Upvote 0
I might have to take a rain check on analyzing any of these images. It looks like it's going to be a clear night, and I get very few of those these days...whenever I do, I HAVE to do astrophotography (which is rather timeconsuming). Besides, I'd rather do some analysis on RAW images rather than processed JPEGs. If I find time later tonight, after getting my imaging sequences going, I'll try...otherwise, next time I have free time.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
GraFax said:
My 7D2 has zero focus lag with the 100-400L or any other lens I've tried it with. Yours, or your lens, may have had problems. I assume I'm using the same firmware. The 100-400L is not known for being a particularly fast focusing.
I expected it to be, at least, no worse than my 40D or 60D with that lens. That was not the case.
7d2 I had exhibited a definite and significant pause before driving the lens to focus and it hunted, and missed, far more than the 2 older bodies. 7d2 AF was very zippy with a few shorter zooms and lenses but that's not what I needed it for.
I only mentioned it in this thread because my Olympus EM10, a consumer-grade, CDAF-only mirrorless, with a 75-300mm lens that's even slower aperture than the 100-400mm L, would confirm AF on the same target, in the same low light, before the 7d2 even started to drive the 100-400mm.
I think the 7d2 will perform very well for AF, but there seems to be some buggy ones out there (There's a thread on that topic here somewhere.) and I'm not about to hold onto another buggy camera, waiting for a fix.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
GraFax said:
That does sound odd. Maybe, as you say, you received a defective one. I've been shooting BIF's with the 100-400 no problem. Not in low light though. That may have been a factor.
Not sure but the lag I experienced was not unique to my experience alone.
Light level was decent enough that the ML bodies with slow long glass could outperform it handily. i was more impressed with my EM10 than disappointed with the 7d2 in the conditions I was testing.

I wanted to use the rig for BiF and similar types of shooting, where the 7d2 should really excel. I might try another 7d2 in the summer; hopefully they'll have attended to any early production glitches by then. I really liked the 7d-series handling and controls. Until then, I'll use my 60d with the 100-400 and my Oly with the 75-300mm when I'm packing light.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
jrista said:
So...I was browsing around imaging resource, checking out the NX1 preview. I started comparing the sample images with the 7D II. I was blown away by the quality of the NX1 up through ISO 6400, and even 12800 for that matter. You can clearly tell the 7D II is noisier. So, I decided to compare with the 5D III.

Really? I'm surprised you're impressed.

These are JPEGs and the NX1 is obviously using more aggressive NR. NX1's ISO 6400, at this NR setting, looks a little like "water color" to me. The 7D II JPEG looks worse but that's because Canon's JPEG engine is...not ideal when it comes to preserving detail. I would take the 5D III JPEG any day, but I also would not shoot any of these cameras in JPEG.

I've downloaded, converted, and compared the 7D II and NX1 RAW files using ACR. At 6400 with zero NR the 7D II has a bit more color noise. With color NR set at 35 on both all the color noise is gone and it appears the NX1 has slightly more luminance noise. In the end it's too small to matter either way, a click on the NR slider changes the results, but both cameras benefit substantially from RAW+ACR. (From a detail perspective Sony has a great JPEG engine, too bad their AWB sucks.)

The NX1 has more megapixels than even the 5D III, and the noise is just about as clean.

I doubt that's true in RAW. And the MP didn't seem to matter comparing to the 7D II. At base ISO after scaling the 7D II file up I couldn't find any additional detail in the NX1 file, and the 7D II was even a little sharper.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
jrista said:
I think the NX1 DOES have about the same noise as the 5D III.

Screenshot of 5D3 and NX1 at ISO 6400, converted in ACR with NO sharpening, LNR, or CNR. All other settings default, 5D3 scaled up to match NX1 pixel dimensions.

NX1 has more noise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 11.36.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 11.36.45 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 320
Upvote 0
Hmm, I am not sure what your using to process, but you are getting radically different results than I am. This is from ACR in PSCC...I simply opened both ISO 6400 NR0 RAW files without any edits in ACR, downsampled the NX1 to the 7D II dimensions, and aligned the images as layers, then cropped the following area:

OSYVeUq.gif

There appears to be visibly less noise in the NX1 image. The color also appears to be richer, less washed out. The differences in noise can be most clearly seen in the fiddler himself, in the glass of all the bottles, and in the black border and several swatches of the color checker card. The primary detractor that I notice with the NX1 image is the darn CA.

To see if my feelings about the images were correct, I saved the cropped areas as 32-bit TIFF and ran both through PixInsight's statistics tool. I created previews around four areas for statistical testing, and propagated those previews to the other image (so exactly identical regions of each image were compared):

5PYLtqo.jpg

According to PixInsight, the noise on the black part of the Fiddlers Elbow bottle, just under the label, has a standard deviation of:

7DII: 0.048 (R), 0.048 (G), 0.051 (B)
NX1: 0.037 (R), 0.037 (G), 0.038 (B)

Statistically, the NX1 DOES have lower noise. I also checked the maximums:

7DII: 0.325 (R), 0.325 (G), 0.349 (B)
NX1: 0.278 (R), 0.294 (G), 0.302 (B)

The NX1 also has lower maximums, so the black glass there is indeed deeper and richer, with less noise. The preview on the right-hand bottle had the following standard deviation:

7DII: 0.087 (R), 0.061 (G), 0.042 (B)
NX1: 0.077 (R), 0.055 (G), 0.039 (B)

And on the left-hand bottle:

7DII: 0.046 (R), 0.042 (G), 0.039 (B)
NX1: 0.037 (R), 0.034 (G), 0.033 (B)

In every preview, the noise levels of the normalized NX1 image are lower, by a pretty decent margin (enough for the difference to be detected visually.) I also checked the noise levels in the preview around the red part of the fiddlers bottle label:

7DII: 0.067 (R), 0.045 (G), 0.050 (B)
NX1: 0.057 (R), 0.044 (G), 0.043 (B)

Not as much difference in the green and blue channels, big difference in the red channel. That explains the loss in color fidelity with the 7D II...again, more noise, higher standard deviation, so some of the pixels are reaching a brighter/lighter (and therefor, according to color theory, less saturated) "red" tone.

It should also be noted, for maximum clarity here, that the 7D II is at a slight 'advantage.' I downsampled the NX1 image as a whole directly to the same image dimensions as the 7D II image. That did not, however, normalize the objects within the image. It can be clearly seen in my GIF that the NX1 objects are a little larger. This is probably the result of a framing discrepancy. Technically speaking, for a properly normalized test, I should make the objects the same size. If I did so, that would be downsampling the NX1 image even more, thus reducing it's noise even more in comparison to the 7D II.

It should also be noted that I could not find an actual 5D III raw file for download from IR. I looked around, and I could be missing it...but all I could find was a JPEG converted from RAW. That appeared to have considerable color noise in it, so I opted not to even bother using that in this comparison, as newer versions of LR seem to handle Canon noise a lot better than in the past.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
jrista said:
Hmm, I am not sure what your using to process, but you are getting radically different results than I am.

Since there's only one ACR update that can process RAWs from either camera, it's pretty obvious what I'm using ;)

This is from ACR in PSCC...I simply opened both ISO 6400 NR0 RAW files without any edits in ACR, downsampled the NX1 to the 7D II dimensions, and aligned the images as layers, then cropped the following area:

I turned off sharpening, LNR, and CNR, and then scaled up, just like I said. I want to see what comes off the sensor. And I didn't want anyone replying that I made the 7D II look better by scaling the NX1 down to its dimensions.

Your results are not "radically" different from my 7D2vNX1 screenshot. Are you confusing that with the 5D3vNX1 screenshot?

There appears to be visibly less noise in the NX1 image. The color also appears to be richer, less washed out.

The NX1 appears darker in both our samples. Not sure why. That affects perception of noise and color, even more so at a smaller scale, and would affect any statistical analysis. That said, I would give the edge to the NX1 by a hair, but not enough to matter when using NR and other settings in ACR and PS.

More to the point, the NX1 is not equivalent to the 5D3, and the difference there matters.

To see if my feelings about the images were correct, I saved the cropped areas as 32-bit TIFF and ran both through PixInsight's statistics tool.

You're splitting hairs. No one would ever know the difference in a processed print. The NX1 has the expected IQ for a modern crop sensor, but it does not leap ahead of anyone else. In fairness, neither does the 7D2, though I think it does gain a little on the 70D to put it on par with the competition in terms of high ISO.

I would have expected BSI to result in more of a gain based on its impact on smaller sensors, but perhaps Samsung isn't quite on par in some other respect like micro lenses.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
jrista said:
It should also be noted that I could not find an actual 5D III raw file for download from IR. I looked around, and I could be missing it...but all I could find was a JPEG converted from RAW.

5D3 review, samples, thumbnails, scroll way down for this scene in ISO 6400.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-5d-mkiii/E5D3hSLI006400NR0.CR2.HTM

Upvote 0

Sella174

So there!
Mar 19, 2013
Suid-Afrika
jrista said:
All I can say is...WOW. I'm hooked on the NX1!! :p I think it may be my new high speed birding camera some time next year, assuming the lenses pan out. I think I'd get this before I got an A7r even...as I am well and truly impressed.

...an APS-C with BETTER IQ than an FF?? Noo! Say it ain't so! :p

I think Sony has a real competitor. Samsung is another electronics powerhouse...I am very curious to see how they do in the marketplace. I love that they have produced a DSLR-style mirrorless body, instead of some micro-cramped body like the Sony A7 series. I think it is much more along the lines of what I have been looking for, and in comparison to the 7D II...it seems the NX1 tops it in just about every category except lens selection (and, if the adapters work well, that may not even be an issue...and certainly won't be an issue for terribly long, as Samsung is already working on some nice big white supertelephoto lenses.)

Are you the same jrista who so vehemently crossed swords with me a few months ago?

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
jrista said:
According to PixInsight, the noise on the black part of the Fiddlers Elbow bottle, just under the label, has a standard deviation of:

Statistically, the NX1 DOES have lower noise.

Are we sure that Samsung isn't cooking the RAW images—either with a denoise algorithm or by exposing to the right and then scaling the values?

Upvote 0
Sella174 said:
jrista said:

...an APS-C with BETTER IQ than an FF?? Noo! Say it ain't so! :p

I think Sony has a real competitor. Samsung is another electronics powerhouse...I am very curious to see how they do in the marketplace. I love that they have produced a DSLR-style mirrorless body, instead of some micro-cramped body like the Sony A7 series. I think it is much more along the lines of what I have been looking for, and in comparison to the 7D II...it seems the NX1 tops it in just about every category except lens selection (and, if the adapters work well, that may not even be an issue...and certainly won't be an issue for terribly long, as Samsung is already working on some nice big white supertelephoto lenses.)

Are you the same jrista who so vehemently crossed swords with me a few months ago?

I'm not sure I remember ever "vehemently" crossing swords with you. I think I remember some inane debate over batteries...honestly not sure how the conversation ended up there. But batteries is beside the point. (I also remember you being exceptionally obscure in a lot of your posts...I think people were...befuddled a bit, by a lot of your replies in some of the mirrorless vs. DSLR debates that have occurred in the past. If anyone was "vehement" with you...I'd say it was Neuro...)

Specifically regarding the statement you bolded, I quote myself, from "months ago":

jrista said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Sella174 said:
Lee Jay said:
This also causes a drastic loss of battery life ...
Which is solved by bigger batteries ... which is why I keep shouting for people to stop harping on "the small size of mirrorless" as a feature. Make a mirrorless camera as big as 5DIII and cram the sucker full of batteries.
Lee Jay said:
... and the resulting information overload is distracting. I turn it all of in my EVF cameras ...
For some. But isn't it great that you can actually turn it off, huh? ;)
Lee Jay said:
... the EVF is lousy in every way compared to an OVF.
Depends. Definitely so in 2012; it became better in 2013; and next year it'll be even better. For comparison, I remember a time when we all felt that film was still soooo much superior to digital and "pros" wouldn't touch it for serious work. But look at where we are today. So please don't judge EVF's on how they are now, as the technology is constantly being improved. :)
I keep saying similar things (IE use an slr body type, with an EF mount - so no one has to use silly lens adaptors or wait while each and every lens ever made gets resigned to fit the current mirrorless mold). But, this is where mirrorless has its downfall, it seems like the biggest proponents for mirrorless want their cake and want to eat it too. All the bells and whistles of an slr, in a package smaller than the A7, but smaller with smaller lenses and of course, a magical battery compartment that can fit 2 1dx batteries...when it comes down to it...it really is about form factor. there was another post somewhere here showing the first digital camera's, goofy looking things, the first idea was that cause it's new it should look radically different...high tech...result, they looked like a joke and weren't taken seriously until digital camera's started to look like regular cameras. which is why i feel that mirrorless may just be a cool for now, trendy product.
Aye. Totally agree. I think once mirrorless cameras start coming in DSLR packages, then they will really take off.

If you are claiming I disagreed vehemently with you on the notion that mirrorless cameras in DSLR-sized bodies would be the turning point for them...well, see above. :p I've always believed that...hence the reason I am fairly excited about the NX1. (I still have to see the EVF, it sounds better than Sony's (which definitely have their problems)...I really don't like EVFs, but, if I want the NX1's features...well....yeah...bleh...)

Upvote 0
dtaylor said:
To see if my feelings about the images were correct, I saved the cropped areas as 32-bit TIFF and ran both through PixInsight's statistics tool.

You're splitting hairs. No one would ever know the difference in a processed print.

We keep getting to this point, and I keep saying the same thing, and my point always seems to get ignored:

It isn't about the end result. It is about how you get to the end result. Better data is easier to process. This was evident when I rented the A7s...it was EXTREMELY easy to reduce noise. I very light application of NR sliders in LR was it, even at very high ISOs or with significant shadow pushing. In contrast...the 5D III required extensive NR, after which the data was still not nearly as usable. Additional means would have been required to make the 5D III images as viable as the A7s'...say HDR.

That's my point. Statistically, the NX1 has lower noise, which leads to richer color and contrast (hence the reason the parts of the NX1 image that are supposed to be dark look dark! :p) Better data is better data...and better data is easier to process. For me, it's not just about how B (the end result) looks. It's very much about how I get from point A (the OOC RAW) to point B. Canon doesn't offer me the best data anymore...maybe they never did.

Upvote 0
dgatwood said:
jrista said:

Statistically, the NX1 DOES have lower noise.

Are we sure that Samsung isn't cooking the RAW images—either with a denoise algorithm or by exposing to the right and then scaling the values?

Well, I know for a fact that the 7D II is cooking the RAW with DIGIC 6. :p I mean, that's what DIGIC 6 does...cook data. :D If it wasn't for that, I highly doubt the 7D II would be able to achieve the IQ levels it does.

I don't know about the NX1...however, given that the current trend IS to cook the RAWs, I have to assume so. Nikon and Sony both cook their RAWs...Nikon with Expeed and Sony with Bionz X. Canon just got into that game. The NX1 sounds like it has the most powerful processor ever to be placed into a camera, and if they weren't utilizing that processing power to reduce noise, I'd be pretty surprised.

Upvote 0
When I read Lula review of Samsung NX1 sensor I was really impressed and I was much interested to see how it compares with other cameras (including FF). I am also as much impressed as MR and Jrista about NX1 sensor technology, not only low noise level but by AF capabilities and the fact that AF points cover 95 percent of the screen.
This AF tracking technology is my dream for many years for sport/action medium format camera – especially for acrobatic events. With Canon 1Dx and tele zoom lens I can get close to the performer but movements are so fast and so erratic that it is not possible to track that manually – performer always jump out of the view. With MF camera (around 80mp) and NX1 tracking technology it is possible to have much wider angle of view , camera will track object without need to move camera and then you can do required crop of the shot and get high quality resulting image . With this it would not be required to use long tele lens. I hope to see that in a couple of years in coming Mirrorless MF cameras
Now back to NX1 sensor noise levels at high ISOs and comparisons with Canon 5Dm3, 7Dm2 and Sony A7.
I did that using DP Review studio –shot comparison tool and below are screen snapshots for comparisons of Samsung NX1, Canon 7DII, Canon EOS 5D M3 and Sony A7S, and also one with Sony A7 at ISO3200 from.
- At ISO3200 NX1 is very close to 5Dm3, a bit more of luminance noise but noise structure is better than 5Dm3 – less blotchy and easier to clean up.
- At ISO6400 5Dm3 looks better than NX1 which could be expected for FF compared to APS-C sensor.
- At both iso3200 and ISO6400 NX1 is better that Canon 7DM2
- King of low light in FF segment is still Sony A7S, at ISO6400 it has less noise than Canon 5Dm3 at ISO 3200..
At ISO 12800 A7S is also noticeably better than 5Dm3 at IS06400.
From comparison it is easy to see that A7S is about 1.5 stop better than Canon 5Dm3.
I bought A7S recently (could not resist temptation) and since then enjoy it to great extent – it makes impossible possible especially in combination with DXO Optic Pro 10 PRIME noise reduction. Getting very clean images (in shadows areas) that were shot in very dim light at ISO up to 20000 which was almost unbelievable even 1 year back. Now using 1Dx much less than before.

What is interesting and bit surprising that at ISO3200 and especially at ISO6400 and ISO12800 Samsung NX1 crop sensor is significantly less noisier than full frame Sony A7 sensor.
Good for Canon 7Dm2 owners - at ISO3200 and ISO6400 it also has less noise than FF 24mp Sony A7. And in general it is not far behind 5DM3 in noise performance. So Canon really did some improvements in 7Dm2 sensor technology.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=samsung_nx1&attr13_1=canon_eos7dii&attr13_2=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_3=sony_a7&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=3200&attr16_1=3200&attr16_2=3200&attr16_3=3200&normalization=full&widget=1&x=-0.3743389872393283&y=0.5096437954588491

Attachments

• ISO25600-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    ISO25600-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 216
  • ISO12800-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    ISO12800-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 240
  • ISO6400-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    ISO6400-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 285
  • ISO3200-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S_iso6400.JPG
    ISO3200-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S_iso6400.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 266
  • ISO3200-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    ISO3200-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7S.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 276
  • ISO3200-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7.JPG
    ISO3200-SamNX1-Can7DII-Can5Dm3-SonyA7.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
jrista said:
That's my point. Statistically, the NX1 has lower noise, which leads to richer color and contrast (hence the reason the parts of the NX1 image that are supposed to be dark look dark! :p)

It does have very slightly lower noise, but that is not the reason it's a darker image which is what leads to the difference in our perception of color and contrast.

Again I'll note that with color NR the 7D II ends up looking a tiny bit cleaner, i.e. lower luminance noise. But in the end neither requires a different work flow or more work. Neither has "better data."

Upvote 0
dtaylor said:
jrista said:
That's my point. Statistically, the NX1 has lower noise, which leads to richer color and contrast (hence the reason the parts of the NX1 image that are supposed to be dark look dark! :p)

It does have very slightly lower noise, but that is not the reason it's a darker image which is what leads to the difference in our perception of color and contrast.

Again I'll note that with color NR the 7D II ends up looking a tiny bit cleaner, i.e. lower luminance noise. But in the end neither requires a different work flow or more work. Neither has "better data."

My perception is a bit different and I tend to agree with Jrista.
My comparison of RAW samples (no NR at all - no Chroma no Luminance NR) at DP comparison tool which I posted a bit earlier shows that at ISO3200 NX1 RAW samples visually look better/cleaner/crisper than ones from 7Dm2 and as I also noted NX1 noise pattern is visually better and more pleasant than noise pattern of 7Dm2. NX1 is less blotchy , has a bit more higher noise frequencies and a bit more regular - so should be easier to clean up compared to 7Dm2 . Blotchy noise pattern from many Canon Cameras is something that was always irritating me as well as low performance at low contrast details in red channel - just smearing them away. 1Dx fortunately is better in this respect though also suffering a bit.
Also on this samples NX1 is not downsampled/normalized to 7Dm2 resolution which would also add more difference in favor of NX1.

I was interested to see if NX1 could compete with A7S - but so far A7S is far ahead of all the competitors.
Just see here as an example one of test picture done handheld by A7S in extremely low light conditions at ISO20000.
One small screen snapshot and also full image exported from LR

Attachments

• 2014-11-25 Sony A7S ISO20000 small.jpg
    2014-11-25 Sony A7S ISO20000 small.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 2014-11-25 Sony A7S ISO20000.jpg
    2014-11-25 Sony A7S ISO20000.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 401
Upvote 0