SanDisk Launches World's First 1TB SD Card

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>PHOTOKINA, COLOGNE, GERMANY, Sept. 20, 2016</strong> – Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC), a global storage technology and solutions leader, today unveiled its SanDisk<sup>®</sup> 1TB terabyte (TB) SDXC™ card prototype at the world’s leading trade fair for photo and video professionals. With increasing demand for high resolution content, such as 4K and 8K, the company continues to push the boundaries of technology with solutions that support the exponential growth of data-intensive production demands.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>“Showcasing the most advanced imaging technologies is truly exciting for us,” said Dinesh Bahal, vice president, product management, Content Solutions Business Unit, Western Digital. “Sixteen years ago we introduced the first SanDisk 64MB SD™ card and today we are enabling capacities of 1TB. Over the years our goal has remained the same; continue to innovate and set the pace for the imaging industry. The SanDisk 1TB SD card prototype represents another significant achievement as growth of high-resolution content and capacity-intensive applications such as virtual reality, video surveillance and 360 video, are progressing at astounding rates.”</p>
<p>Since the introduction of the record-breaking <a href="https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/extremepro-sd-uhs-i">512GB SanDisk Extreme PRO<sup>®</sup> SDXC UHS-I Memory Card</a> at Photokina 2014, Western Digital has proven it can nearly double the capacity in the same SD card form factor using proprietary technology. Higher capacity cards expand the possibilities for professional videographers and photographers, giving them even greater ability to create more of the highest quality content, without the interruption of changing cards.</p>
<p>“Just a few short years ago the idea of a 1TB capacity point in an SD card seemed so futuristic – it’s amazing that we’re now at the point where it’s becoming a reality. With the growing demand for applications like VR, we can certainly use 1TB when we’re out shooting continuous high-quality video. High-capacity cards allow us to capture more without interruption, streamlining our workflow, and eliminating the worry that we may miss a moment because we have to stop to swap out cards,” said <a href="https://www.sandisk.com/home/extreme-team/sam-nicholson">Sam Nicholson</a>, CEO of Stargate Studios and member of the American Society of Cinematographers.</p>
<p>Western Digital will be demonstrating the SanDisk 1TB SDXC card prototype and showcasing its newest offerings at Photokina, Hall 02.1 Stand A014.</p>
<p><strong>About Western Digital</strong>

Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC) is an industry-leading provider of storage technologies and solutions that enable people to create, leverage, experience and preserve data. The company addresses ever-changing market needs by providing a full portfolio of compelling, high-quality storage solutions with customer-focused innovation, high efficiency, flexibility and speed. Our products are marketed under the HGST, SanDisk and WD brands to OEMs, distributors, resellers, cloud infrastructure providers and consumers. For more information, please visit <a href="https://www.hgst.com/">www.hgst.com</a>, <a href="https://www.wd.com/">www.wd.com</a>, and<a href="https://www.sandisk.com/">www.sandisk.com</a>.</p>
<p><strong>About SanDisk</strong>

SanDisk, a Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC) brand, provides trusted and innovative flash storage products that have transformed the electronics industry. SanDisk’s quality, state-of-the-art solutions are at the heart of many of the world’s largest data centers, and embedded in advanced smartphones, tablets and PCs. SanDisk’s consumer products are available at hundreds of thousands of retail stores worldwide.</p>
<p>For the latest SanDisk news visit www.sandisk.com, or find us on our social channels:

Facebook: <a href="https://www.facebook.com/sandisk">www.facebook.com/sandisk</a>

Twitter: <a href="https://www.twitter.com/sandisk">www.twitter.com/sandisk</a>

Instagram: <a href="https://www.instagram.com/sandisk">www.instagram.com/sandisk</a>

YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/sandisk">www.youtube.com/sandisk</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I said many years ago at some point our whole lives, jobs, the lot, will be on a single card, perhaps even one day that card/chip will be under the skin. Mr Moore was not far wrong with his prediction and so far things like storage capacity move so fast it makes you wonder if a time will come where we no longer bother to calculate storage capacity, it will simple be sold as. . . "Enough". In the mean time, 1TB SD card, amazing! I still have a 10MB MFM 5 1/5 inch full height 4 platter IBM hard drive on the shelf, not so long ago it was in use along with 360K 5 1/4 FDD's.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
This card isn't too big as many are alluding to (or blatantly stating) here. It is just simply ahead of most of the rest of the technology available to "fill" it up quickly.

Face it, if you like it or not, computers get faster, hard drives/storage devices get bigger/higher capacity while usually physically getting smaller. Cameras continue to produce higher resolution and larger files. It's a simple series of sinusoidal waves of capacity/speed available vs hardware capability to fill it up that we're all along for the never-ending ride on. There will be a time when we look at a 1TB card and think it is paltry in comparison with whatever capacity is needed to store our 3D holographic photography for use in our virtual reality visualization rooms... I will have a robot named Rosie that takes care of all of the household and I will be working in a sprocket factory and have a dog named Astro along side me, if my research on the subject has taught me anything.

Point being, this is great news that they can pack all of that into such a small container (and probably still have room to go even larger in a future iteration). At some point, we'll be shooting 100MP or 200MP or 800MP photos, the number of files to size of storage device ratio will be back in line with what we're used to in comparison to a 1TB card... the only challenge is, by then we'll have 1PB or 1EB cards or some kind of pure unlimited cloud storage solution that we can access freely from any location via next-generation wireless technology.

Upvote 0
mnclayshooter said:
This card isn't too big as many are alluding to (or blatantly stating) here. It is just simply ahead of most of the rest of the technology available to "fill" it up quickly.

Face it, if you like it or not, computers get faster, hard drives/storage devices get bigger/higher capacity while usually physically getting smaller. Cameras continue to produce higher resolution and larger files. It's a simple series of sinusoidal waves of capacity/speed available vs hardware capability to fill it up that we're all along for the never-ending ride on. There will be a time when we look at a 1TB card and think it is paltry in comparison with whatever capacity is needed to store our 3D holographic photography for use in our virtual reality visualization rooms... I will have a robot named Rosie that takes care of all of the household and I will be working in a sprocket factory and have a dog named Astro along side me, if my research on the subject has taught me anything.

Point being, this is great news that they can pack all of that into such a small container (and probably still have room to go even larger in a future iteration). At some point, we'll be shooting 100MP or 200MP or 800MP photos, the number of files to size of storage device ratio will be back in line with what we're used to in comparison to a 1TB card... the only challenge is, by then we'll have 1PB or 1EB cards or some kind of pure unlimited cloud storage solution that we can access freely from any location via next-generation wireless technology.

Well perhaps that's true...perhaps they hit a wall. I mean: 60 years ago they thought the fusion reactor was a think soon to be achived. The moon landing made people dream of visiting the mars soon. But instead the moon hasn't been visited for a long time, and fusion reactor for enegy production is as far off as it was before it seems.

So maybe you are right (at least it seems more likely than a mars visit in my lifetime), but it wouldn't be the first time people got overoptimistic.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
What took them so long. I have two Sandisk 200GB micro SD cards in my portable audio player and they're really small. To be fair though, they're only lowly Ultra cards and not Extreme Pro. Sandisk and Samsung both make a 256GB card, but they're silly expensive for not much more space. Ain't technology grand?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Given Im currently backing up to a 1tb hdd as I read this, this is very welcome news.

Backing up on camera wise, can copy from CF to SD on 7D2 as a batch whenever you want, no need to do it constantly. Very useful when you find your CF card reader isnt where you thought it was.

As in about 3 years from now when 1tb sd becomes affordable for me, this will be great.

Upvote 0