SanDisk Launches World's First 1TB SD Card

Otara said:
Given Im currently backing up to a 1tb hdd as I read this, this is very welcome news.

Backing up on camera wise, can copy from CF to SD on 7D2 as a batch whenever you want, no need to do it constantly. Very useful when you find your CF card reader isnt where you thought it was.

As in about 3 years from now when 1tb sd becomes affordable for me, this will be great.

True.
Also for travel, even if it's not super high speed. Twenty of these would give duplicates of 10TB of data, and weigh almost nothing.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Look at this - I just developed a "prototype" 2TB SD card ;D. I think it's hilarious they unveiled a "prototype" - i.e. a new label. How ridiculous.

an empty box with a label is called a space model.

prototypes usually perform as described at room temperature.. they may have made 100 to get one that worked.. but it will have worked at least for a while.

a bit like Canons 250MPix prototype.

Upvote 0
worldwidewax said:
My very first computer had a HDD of 4GB and I thought back then I will never be able to fill it with content. And now this! Actually great for to hear the capacity for SD gets bigger and bigger. As a travel photographer I really need space.
You're making me feel old...my first computer had 64k, yes, kilobytes of RAM, and stored files on a cassette tape - ahh the Commodore 64:

Commodore_64_with_the_external_power_supply_and_Commodore_1530_(C2N)_Datasette.jpg

And I bought a huge (at the time - seriously) 8MB CompactFlash card for my first digital camera...
s-l225.jpg

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
mackguyver said:
worldwidewax said:
My very first computer had a HDD of 4GB and I thought back then I will never be able to fill it with content. And now this! Actually great for to hear the capacity for SD gets bigger and bigger. As a travel photographer I really need space.
You're making me feel old...my first computer had 64k, yes, kilobytes of RAM, and stored files on a cassette tape - ahh the Commodore 64:

Commodore_64_with_the_external_power_supply_and_Commodore_1530_(C2N)_Datasette.jpg

And I bought a huge (at the time - seriously) 8MB CompactFlash card for my first digital camera...
s-l225.jpg

I could have written that exact same message. My son, who is a coder/loadtester, started with an Atari 16 and I bought the Commodore 64 shortly after that. Had a lot of fun with those and loved watching him progress through the Atari line into PC's as I did the same. Then he got really serious so he is usually ahead of me these days, especially since I quit putting together new machines.

Upvote 0

COBRASoft

EOS R5
CR Pro
Mar 21, 2014
Oudenburg, Belgium
mackguyver said:
worldwidewax said:

s-l225.jpg

C64... where is the time :(. The last real computer... Ok, after Amiga that is :). Today we just spoil memory too much. Back in the days, they did a LOT with 64K RAM (of which only 32 or so was available for programs).

Upvote 0
A couple of years ago I was playing with 8051 processors for embedded applications (professionally). 32kB of RAM, 16MHz maximum clock speed, 1Meg EEPROM. It's amazing what can be accomplished in such a small space. The key difference these days is you can run the entire "computer" off one zinc-air button cell.

Upvote 0
COBRASoft said:
mackguyver said:
worldwidewax said:

s-l225.jpg

C64... where is the time :(. The last real computer... Ok, after Amiga that is :). Today we just spoil memory too much. Back in the days, they did a LOT with 64K RAM (of which only 32 or so was available for programs).
If you were into the demo scene... They still do a lot with 64kb of ram. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6ZzJeWgpY <- this is one I just found for the PC - 64 kilobytes of code drove this animation. Granted the shaders and such are from a top of the line card, but still...

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
mackguyver said:

Wow, you are old! My first computer was an Epson QX-10, which ran CP/M on a 4MHz Z80 CPU with a whopping 256KB of RAM, two floppy disc drives, an external 300bps modem and the amazing(-ly useless) Valdocs application suite! (I'm too embarrassed to say how much I paid for it ... it seems like an astronomical sum for a PC, even after 30+ years of inflation!)

The CF card in my first digicam was also 8MB ... that'll hold a fair number of 1.2MP images!

Upvote 0
You're missing the point of these cards - yes they can be used for video, but really the space that needs them is the time lapse folks. I've filled their 512gb cards for a few different projects, where I have ac power, but may not have access for a few days or weeks.

Lexar does a 512gb CompactFlash, but that's it. The largest Cfast is 256gb. If sd is the large/slower/cheaper medium going forward, I'm fine with it.

Upvote 0
Halfrack said:
You're missing the point of these cards - yes they can be used for video, but really the space that needs them is the time lapse folks. I've filled their 512gb cards for a few different projects, where I have ac power, but may not have access for a few days or weeks.

Lexar does a 512gb CompactFlash, but that's it. The largest Cfast is 256gb. If sd is the large/slower/cheaper medium going forward, I'm fine with it.

of course!.. well I've learnt something new today, thanks.

Upvote 0