Screw-on ND filter for 16-35 II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone used this B+W 10-Stop ND filter on their 16-35 II? I am wondering how bad the vignetting will be if this filter is used (could not find a slim version from B+W) on the lens at 16mm focal length, stopped down to f8, f11, etc. The lens will be paired with a 5D3.

I would get the Lee's Big Stopper but the wait time is ridiculous. Saw some on eBay, and people there are selling the Big Stopper for $250 (2filter, BnH sells them for around $140).

Jul 6, 2012
Here's a few examples of long time exposures with the B+W .

_K8A0116 by barrfly1, on Flickr

_MG_0245 by barrfly1, on Flickr

_MG_0216 by barrfly1, on Flickr

The last photo has the color cast intact , it's not terrible .
If you do decide to go with the screw on filter, don't forget to purchase some stop-down rings so you can use it on other lenses !

Upvote 0
Barrfly said:

If you do decide to go with the screw on filter, don't forget to purchase some stop-down rings so you can use it on other lenses !

Gorgeous shots. I feel inspired to use my ND filters more.
Do you need 10 stops to accomplish this? Can you make do with 6 stops ND?

Opinions?

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2012
Etienne said:
Barrfly said:

Gorgeous shots. I feel inspired to use my ND filters more.
Do you need 10 stops to accomplish this? Can you make do with 6 stops ND?

Opinions?

I usually shoot 30 second or longer but to get the effect in the above photos it's probably overkill. Depending on the rate of movement of the subject ( in this case water.) you could get the same misty, foggy results at shorter exposures. Clouds on the other hand tend to move slower so take more time to capture movement.

Upvote 0
Related question for those using ND filters, since I've never used one but am starting to get inspired: is it worth getting MRC? On UV and CPL filters, it doesn't seem to affect the price as much- but for some reason, the MRC version of B+W's 10-stop is twice as expensive as the single-coated version... would love to hear thoughts on the matter!

Thanks,
Brian

Upvote 0
I have been impressed enough with Haida's new Pro MC II filters in 77mm that I recently purchase one for my Tamron in 82mm. I have both a ND1000 (10 stop) and ND64 (6 stop). The filter ring is very, very slim and produces very little vignetting.

Here's a few on the 17-40L:

Anchored in the Light [Explored December 7th, 2012] by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Sheltered by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Room With a View by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Here's another shot with the ND64 on the Tamron:

Still Winter, Still Beautiful by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

They are available on Ebay for about $80 and are very high quality filters. They are German made with high quality Schott glass. I've been impressed.

Upvote 0
Wow! Lovely images from Barrfly and Dustin! I am very very interested in the Haida's ND now, and for $80 only? That sounds like a real steal! I know ND tends to produce some form of color cast, but as long as they are very minimal it should be ok and can be handled in pp. So Dustin, have you noticed any significant color cast from the Haida's?

Upvote 0
killswitch said:
Wow! Lovely images from Barrfly and Dustin! I am very very interested in the Haida's ND now, and for $80 only? That sounds like a real steal! I know ND tends to produce some form of color cast, but as long as they are very minimal it should be ok and can be handled in pp. So Dustin, have you noticed any significant color cast from the Haida's?

I would say there is a slight (and I mean very slight) magenta shift, but it is definitely pretty negligible. I have been really impressed with how clean the images come out. I haven't noticed any color shift in my experience with the ND64, but I've also only used it a couple of times. LE's don't work as well in winter here because no water is moving :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I have been impressed enough with Haida's new Pro MC II filters in 77mm that I recently purchase one for my Tamron in 82mm. I have both a ND1000 (10 stop) and ND64 (6 stop). The filter ring is very, very slim and produces very little vignetting.

@Dustin: Thanks for sharing! Just ordered an ND 1000 (10 stop), 82mm, from Germany. Cost: about 57 Euros. A bargain compared with other labels...for example B+W. That was just the "icing on the cake" for my excellent 16-35 F/2.8 USM II which I recently bought used at a retail store for CHF 998.00 instead of CHF 1698 new or CHF 1400 online. Cheers, Peter.

Upvote 0
Maybe a little off the subject, but I just don't get how someone can spend so much money on a Canon L lens like the 16-35 II & then buy the cheapest filter they can find to put on the lens! I mean I like a great deal just as much as the nest guy, but at what cost to the IQ. The whole point of spending the extra money & buying an L is for the superior IQ. Why wouldn't you do the same & spend the extra on the filter that you put in front of that expensive L glass??? It makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
ksuweh said:
Maybe a little off the subject, but I just don't get how someone can spend so much money on a Canon L lens like the 16-35 II & then buy the cheapest filter they can find to put on the lens! I mean I like a great deal just as much as the nest guy, but at what cost to the IQ. The whole point of spending the extra money & buying an L is for the superior IQ. Why wouldn't you do the same & spend the extra on the filter that you put in front of that expensive L glass??? It makes no sense to me.

A valid point, but as a person who normally uses good quality (I typically use the higher levels of Hoya filters - Pro1D or equivalent), I can certainly attest to the fact that the advantages over premium filters (beyond the better Hoya level) are going to be imperceptible to almost every eye. Just because a more expensive product exists doesn't mean that I blindly buy it. In the case of the Haida, I did the research, looked at a lot of pictures taken with it, then took a flyer on it. I had a great experience with the first, enough so that I bought a second in another filter size that I have been equally pleased with. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think Haida is actually using the same glass manufacturer as B+W. Because of that, I have not problem recommending them to someone else.

BTW, I tried a circular polarizer filter from Haida when I switched to an 82mm filter size. Didn't like it at all - not because of the optics, but because I found the rotating ring very stiff and virtually unusable in the field. The seller replaced it with a second copy, but I wasn't crazy about it, either. I ended up spending the money on a Hoya Pro-1D filter which I'm perfectly happy with. I certainly won't recommend that Haida CP to someone, but the ND filters I've had great success with.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
ksuweh said:

A valid point, but as a person who normally uses good quality (I typically use the higher levels of Hoya filters - Pro1D or equivalent), I can certainly attest to the fact that the advantages over premium filters (beyond the better Hoya level) are going to be imperceptible to almost every eye. Just because a more expensive product exists doesn't mean that I blindly buy it. In the case of the Haida, I did the research, looked at a lot of pictures taken with it, then took a flyer on it. I had a great experience with the first, enough so that I bought a second in another filter size that I have been equally pleased with. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think Haida is actually using the same glass manufacturer as B+W. Because of that, I have not problem recommending them to someone else.

BTW, I tried a circular polarizer filter from Haida when I switched to an 82mm filter size. Didn't like it at all - not because of the optics, but because I found the rotating ring very stiff and virtually unusable in the field. The seller replaced it with a second copy, but I wasn't crazy about it, either. I ended up spending the money on a Hoya Pro-1D filter which I'm perfectly happy with. I certainly won't recommend that Haida CP to someone, but the ND filters I've had great success with.

I would rather spend a few extra dollars for a B&W then buy from a company that the workmanship is hit or miss, just like you described with your Haida filters. Buy it once & you don't have the hassle or expense of returning it & getting something to replace it. I'd rather not waste my time or money like that. My original comment was directed at the optics, but overall craftsmanship & quality is very important as well to me. I want the products I buy to last & don't want to have to return the item or replace it in a few years down the road.

Upvote 0
Barrfly said:

_K8A0116 by barrfly1, on Flickr

_MG_0245 by barrfly1, on Flickr

_MG_0216 by barrfly1, on Flickr

How are you getting these shots with no vignetting? I have the B+W 10.0 and got terrible vignetting? Am I missing some special setting or something? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.