Should I wait for the Mark IV, or buy the Mark III at a low price now?

candc said:
Yiannis A - Greece said:
Dear "ISO9000",

Yesterday morning, 150 souls got aboard flight 4U9525 of German Wings to get to their destination. I'm more than sure that they had plans for today but, today never came for them. Maybe i sound tragic but, nobody knows if tomorrow ever comes; if you want it and you can do it, do it...YESTERDAY! So, i'd friendly suggest you, not to wait for any tomorrow and what better (?) it should bring to the table, go ahead and do it NOW!

And a few more words; i own both 5D Mk3 and 7D mk2 and as i can see from others, once Canon jumped on Dual Pixel AF wagon, although quality of focusing during video is really excellent, focusing during shooting photos has clearly declined. That generally happens to my 7D Mk2 too, with some (3rd party usually) lenses, with aperture faster than f/2.8 (mostly). There are lots of reports for 70D too, which also uses the DPAF system. Being absolutely sure that 5D Mk4 or whatever the successor of Mk3 is, will implement DPAF system (especially after Canon having released EF 24-105 IS STM) will "suffer" the same issue. As an engineer, i strongly believe that DPAF has a bunch of pros and a few annoying cons, single point AF being one of them.

That's my 2 cents, do what you think is best but, remember life is too short to wait forever.

Always be lucky, be healthy and strong, live your life with those you love.

Yours
Yiannis.

Dpaf is only used in live view. It is not used during regular af.

Dear candc,
I know that DPAF is only used during live view but, i find it relevant that the only 2 models that use it in present time, both suffer (many people don't even know it but, their own camera has the "bug" from f/2.8 upwards) from what seems to be the "center point AF issue". As an engineer, i suspect (maybe it's only my BS thinkink) that, DPAF and the way the CMOS/mirror box/AF sensor are constructed or assembled to work individually or together, reproduces the issue. Again, maybe it's only my conspiracy theory but, don't forget that, it took a long time to canon to present 7D Mk2 "due to AF issues".

Be lucky, be well.

Yours
Yiannis.

Upvote 0
[/quote]

Dear candc,
I know that DPAF is only used during live view but, i find it relevant that the only 2 models that use it in present time, both suffer (many people don't even know it but, their own camera has the "bug" from f/2.8 upwards) from what seems to be the "center point AF issue". As an engineer, i suspect (maybe it's only my BS thinkink) that, DPAF and the way the CMOS/mirror box/AF sensor are constructed or assembled to work individually or together, reproduces the issue. Again, maybe it's only my conspiracy theory but, don't forget that, it took a long time to canon to present 7D Mk2 "due to AF issues".

Be lucky, be well.

Yours
Yiannis.
[/quote]

Its possible that there is some component shared by both af systems that could be an issue but it seems unlikely. The 70d uses the same af module as the 7d but most accounts say the 70d af performs better. There are also many users who are using the new cameras without issues. Some posters here had problems with the 7dii and got replacements or sent it in to be repaired and it is ok after. Sounds more like quality control issues than a flawed design.

Upvote 0
I'm right there in the same boat. I have a 6D and frequently shoot nighttime high school sports in very low-light situations. While I really do love it and get great shots, the slow FPS is tough to deal with. While I do believe it's forced me to greatly improve in my skills at timing and carefully considering the shot before hitting the shutter button, it would be nice to be able to motor-drive a few shots like a 7D when a receiver is jumping up to catch a pass or diving for the end zone etc.

So looking at the specs of the 5D3 it sounds fantastic but I wonder if it's replacement will have even faster FPS and would be better for me? Same for a possible 6D2 as despite the well-known drawbacks of the 6D I'm really pretty happy with it and if all it did better was move to 7 FPS I'd be set!

Upvote 0
meanstreak said:
I'm right there in the same boat. I have a 6D and frequently shoot nighttime high school sports in very low-light situations. While I really do love it and get great shots, the slow FPS is tough to deal with. While I do believe it's forced me to greatly improve in my skills at timing and carefully considering the shot before hitting the shutter button, it would be nice to be able to motor-drive a few shots like a 7D when a receiver is jumping up to catch a pass or diving for the end zone etc.

So looking at the specs of the 5D3 it sounds fantastic but I wonder if it's replacement will have even faster FPS and would be better for me? Same for a possible 6D2 as despite the well-known drawbacks of the 6D I'm really pretty happy with it and if all it did better was move to 7 FPS I'd be set!

If you are unhappy with fps 5DIII is hardly the answer. I would expect the 5DIV to be somewhat better. But only time will tell. Was disappointed when the 5DIII came out that it was barely faster than the 5DII.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, I just sold my T5i and all my EFS lenses (except for my STM lenses) because I want a 5D mkIII. I look at it this way; Most people here say the 5D mkIII is a fantastic camera. A friend of mine (a pro) says it is incredible too. To me, this means the model is proven. It is a great Camera.

On the other hand, we sometimes expect the newer models to be better than the previous models. That does not always turn out to be true. As far as camera bodies go... I think I am going to take the proven route and stay just a little behind the technological curve. Same with lenses.

Some people can afford to just grab the new stuff. If it doesn't work out for them, then they don't have a problem taking the loss and disappointment. I've learned my lesson. I cannot afford those kind of losses. When I buy something I've really had to do some hard financial calisthenics to afford it.

I'd be very happy with a 5D mkIII, and I think I'd be happy for a long time. A 1DX is also on my list (I'd then sell the 70D). Both are proven great cameras. I'm a real amateur. But if the pros on this website (and my friend) say a piece of gear is great, then I have to listen to them. They know far more than I ever will. I think those two "old" or "long in the tooth" models would keep me busy and learning for a long, long time. Along with my 70D. They all take great photos now, and they will for many years to come... no matter what else comes down the pike. I'm just glad I chose Canon.

All that to say: Do what you want, but be satisfied. Being satisfied is half the battle in all of life.

Upvote 0

Masa@CanonRMRs

May the EOS be with you.
Apr 13, 2015
Japan
I am Japanese, so excuse me for my bad-english, lol.

I do own the 5D Mark III now. It's worth every penny.
However, if you take pictures of in-door sports, like Karate, Judo, Basketball, or something like that, I suggest to wait for 5D Mark IV.

I also own the 7D Mark II, which has "Anti-Flicker" (in Japan, we called "Flicker-Less"). It's very, very usefull for taking pictures in-door with high-speed shutter. Although, even 7D Mark II has that, I really want shoot with FULL-SIZE sensor camera because of high-ISO-resistance (I'm not sure that's the right way to say it, lol).

I don't know when the 5D Mark IV will be on market, but when it does, I will buy it for sure. Just for "Anti-Flikcer" alone.

But it's just me. If you don't need "Anti-Flicker", I don't see any reason that I should stop you from buying 5D Mark III now. It's nice camera, you'll love it.

May the EOS be with you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
dolina said:
My guess is it'll reach stores by December in small quantities. Those with inefficient Customs will get theirs in January. So 8-9 months from today.

I would not buy a 5D3 now.

Even if that guess is accurate, the MkIV will be a lot more money than the MkIII is now, so the mental question becomes do I want a MkIII now and actually take pictures, or do I wait and place the upgraded MkIV specs at x amount of dollars? The difference between the MkIII now and the MkIV on release is probably just over $1,000, that has to be a damn important set of features to be worth $1,000 over the MkIII, seriously, what is the MkIII lacking?

I know many areas where the MkIII could be tweaked, sync speed, fps, etc etc, but how important are those comparatively modest features to any individual? I'd guess most MkIII owners will not upgrade to the MkIV unless their is a substantial improvement in a core metric, but even then, the MkIII is a very very good camera.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
privatebydesign said:
dolina said:
My guess is it'll reach stores by December in small quantities. Those with inefficient Customs will get theirs in January. So 8-9 months from today.

I would not buy a 5D3 now.

Even if that guess is accurate, the MkIV will be a lot more money than the MkIII is now, so the mental question becomes do I want a MkIII now and actually take pictures, or do I wait and place the upgraded MkIV specs at x amount of dollars? The difference between the MkIII now and the MkIV on release is probably just over $1,000, that has to be a damn important set of features to be worth $1,000 over the MkIII, seriously, what is the MkIII lacking?

I know many areas where the MkIII could be tweaked, sync speed, fps, etc etc, but how important are those comparatively modest features to any individual? I'd guess most MkIII owners will not upgrade to the MkIV unless their is a substantial improvement in a core metric, but even then, the MkIII is a very very good camera.
+1

dolina said:
If you already have a functional camera(s) why buy one that's going to be phased out? And it is a given that if you are willing to wait for the latest and greatest then you are willing to pay for the latest and greatest.
Is that really "a given"?
Maybe for those who don't have to care about money. But even enthusiasts and geeks sometimes are rational ;)

And having a great camera with some $1.000 extra for a great lens NOW might be worth to consider instead having a somewhat better and more expensive camera within 8 months without that great lens.

But it's just fair to show and discuss all opinions to show the OP which one has which advantages.

Upvote 0
Well, the stuffing has finally hit the fan. My eight year old Mark I went quirky over the weekend. No auto-focus or focusing points, and the back panel goes completely black as soon as I put on a lens. Take off the lenses and the panel lights up, and I can review images again. The local shop says $400 for an overhaul. That's more than the body's worth.

I gave some thought to a 6D, mostly for the low-light capability. But I doubt it'll be as durable as any of the 5D bodies. I can pick up a Mark II as a "stop-gap" and see what the Mark IV turns out to be, but I'm more inclined to go for the Mark III now and live with it. (I lived with the Mark I for eight years.)

B-H and Adorama are still asking $2500. Great shops, but that seems a bit high at this late date ("late" being the recent introduction of two new 5D bodies). Ebay's a crap shoot. Used bodies on various local Craigslist postings are in the $2200 range, but I don't know if I'm getting USA or grey market boxes. Thing is I've got a road assignment starting in a week, so I've gotta move on this ASAP.

Recommendations, advice and/or sympathy for my dearly departing Mark I gratefully accepted.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Agent XE-5 said:
Well, the stuffing has finally hit the fan. My eight year old Mark I went quirky over the weekend. No auto-focus or focusing points, and the back panel goes completely black as soon as I put on a lens. Take off the lenses and the panel lights up, and I can review images again. The local shop says $400 for an overhaul. That's more than the body's worth.

I gave some thought to a 6D, mostly for the low-light capability. But I doubt it'll be as durable as any of the 5D bodies. I can pick up a Mark II as a "stop-gap" and see what the Mark IV turns out to be, but I'm more inclined to go for the Mark III now and live with it. (I lived with the Mark I for eight years.)

B-H and Adorama are still asking $2500. Great shops, but that seems a bit high at this late date ("late" being the recent introduction of two new 5D bodies). Ebay's a crap shoot. Used bodies on various local Craigslist postings are in the $2200 range, but I don't know if I'm getting USA or grey market boxes. Thing is I've got a road assignment starting in a week, so I've gotta move on this ASAP.

Recommendations, advice and/or sympathy for my dearly departing Mark I gratefully accepted.

If you liked your 5D MkI and got on with it so well the 6D will be better in every situation. I actually had to rent one for a big assignment recently and was very impressed with it. For $1,399 the 6D really is a very good camera and unless their are features you absolutely need to have in the 5D MkIII for $1,100 more then I'd recommend the 6D.

Besides, if you end up growing and get a second body next year that could be the 5D MkIV, and you get to keep the 6D as the perfect second body.

Upvote 0