Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
They are not the usual woodpecker shots and very nice.

Reactions: ISv

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
So - sorting through the summer backlog and decided to share a couple of my favorites. I love herons and these bubbas were very accommodating.

Interesting bit - while I was shooting the first image a lady went blazing past me. We were the only two people on a floating pier and she came up from way behind me with her cell phone out in front of her taking pictures as she went. I had been doing the good 'ole two-step, take a picture, two-step, take a picture, just trying to get a decent shot but not disturb/scare the bird.

I said "ma'am, you're blocking my shot and you're going to scare him away!"

Her response? "It's okay - I'm a photographer..."

SMH.

Both shots with EOS-R / 100-400 II / 1.4X @ 560mm.

View attachment 188730

View attachment 188731
:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - yeah, sometimes the life is getting harder because of this type of photogs...
Nice shots anyway!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
View attachment 188757

AlanF posted a photo of a European nuthatch (not sure what species) about a week ago that reminded me of this Red-breasted Nuthatch that sometimes comes to north Texas. From a few years ago (6D, 300 F4 w/ 1.4x: F8, 1/4000, ISO 1600)
Both Europeans are lacking the white, broad and long supercilium above the eye. Otherwise if I can recall right, Alan posted recently the hard to see (rare and inhabiting steep cliffs) Sitta neumayer (whatever common name it has: I can't recall it in English right now).
Very nice shot Mikekeck!

Reactions: mikekeck

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
I was ignoring the "portraits" when exploring my camera for BIF.
Here are some from this weekend...
Male and female White-rumped Shama, Red-crested Cardinal, Northern Cardinal foraging in some kind of weeds, Northern pin-tail and female and male Hooded Merganser.

DSC_7980_DxO.jpg
DSC_8178_DxO.jpg
DSC_8046_DxO.jpg
DSC_8330_DxO.jpg
DSC_8338_DxO.jpg
DSC_8389_DxO.jpg
DSC_8417_DxO.jpg
DSC_8424_DxO.jpg