Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That bird is carrying a crab spider, her abdomen is toward the camera, the head/thorax is in the bird's beak. The caterpillar is part of the bundle - birds forage insects until they get a beak full, then deliver to the nest. The crab spiders trap insects in an ambush, the ones i know matching the color of a flower and spreading their legs wide at the edge of the flower, trapping pollen foragers. It is not likely that the caterpillar was the spiders prey.
David, I have enlarged the insects 2x for you for a new identification (and for anyone else).

DSC_2109-DxO_longtailed_tit+insects_crop-2_00x.jpgDSC_2112-DxO_longtailed_tit+insects_vvs_face_on_crop-2_00x.jpgDSC_2113-DxO_longtailed_tit+insects_vvs-2_00x.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
David, I have enlarged the insects 2x for you for a new identification (and for anyone else).
I would start with the abdomen of a spider again.
And since David Ponton mentioned tha crab spider I am very much with him about this and here again.
Funny that if looks like snail shell from the other perspective.
the reat is... pure speculation to me.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
From an early morning walk today. I haven't had much success with tracking osprey in flight with the M6 Mark II, so I figured I'd try something different. Return period ends next week and I was planning to send it back in frustration. Maybe I'm just asking too much - can't say I'm unhappy with a few like this from today.

M62_2992_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Fifth attempt to get satisfying photos of the Japanese Bush-Warbler (Uguisu) - more than a month from the starting point... Finally something - actually I'm very happy: to see the bird (mostly part of it) - you are (very!) lucky... To take whatever photo of the bird - a lot of luck! To get the bird somewhat posing - you are blessed (well, I'm not believer but I don't know how to say it better?)!
All others were just in-between...

DSC_4009_DxO.jpgDSC_4030_DxO.jpgDSC_4096_DxO.jpgDSC_4217_DxO.jpgDSC_4227_DxO.jpgDSC_4244_DxO.jpgDSC_3864_DxO.jpgDSC_4403_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Fifth attempt to get satisfying photos of the Japanese Bush-Warbler (Uguisu) - more than a month from the starting point... Finally something - actually I'm very happy: to see the bird (mostly part of it) - you are (very!) lucky... To take whatever photo of the bird - a lot of luck! To get the bird somewhat posing - you are blessed (well, I'm not believer but I don't know how to say it better?)!
All others were just in-between...

View attachment 190346View attachment 190347View attachment 190348View attachment 190349View attachment 190350View attachment 190351View attachment 190354View attachment 190353
Very fine shots. You had a great day!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Very sad news today. The Longtailed Tits nest has been ripped apart. I think magpies found it and have eaten the chicks. The pesky magpies have been around a lot in the last few days, and the nest wasn't well hidden.
Pity!
We hat that with blackbirds two years in a row. They were nesting in a thuja hedge and both times the magpies were too clever for them.
Found the blue egg shells spread wide apart :(

This year the blackbirds try it again...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Very sad news today. The Longtailed Tits nest has been ripped apart. I think magpies found it and have eaten the chicks. The pesky magpies have been around a lot in the last few days, and the nest wasn't well hidden.
Sorry Alan! My hope to see the chicks is gone...

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A common grackle, today. These guys will stay here in South Alberta for a month or two.
View attachment 190449
Nice. We don't get Grackles here and I have never seen the blue around the head and neck when I have been in the States (and never seen one in Canada).

Upvote 0