Kentucky, USA
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
These are awesome.

Yeah, nice birds but when you see tons of them on daily basis they are competing with the House Sparrow (and several others) for the title "The most annoying birds" - or something like that but in more palatable form. On other hand - yes, I like them but I really wish to see time to time something different.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
From several weeks ago, an unexpected visitor (they're quite rare in the urban environment here);
through the double glazing (which fortunately was not in the direct sunlight)
View attachment 194139
He (she?) was very alert - any movement (even inside) was noticed and reason to fly off...
View attachment 194140
Both 7DmkII, Sigma 60-600 S at 600mm f/6.3, 1/400s ISO3200
W.
The Green Woodpeckers do move off pretty quickly.

DSC_9700-DxO_green_woodpecker_flying-ss_SH-2_00xAuto.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The Green Woodpeckers do move off pretty quickly.

View attachment 194161

I suggest you make an adaptation to that window so that it works for photos (think outside the box, it might be possible).

Probably not a casement like mine but what I did for winter shooting from inside was to cut a plexi-glass panel insert that I placed inside the frame. The window cranks open outwards and sideways. In that panel, which I painted to remove visibility except for a peep hole is a oval cutout, lined with some small (slit) rubber hose. The 400 DO rests on that without scuffing.

A flap that flips up to cover this hole when I'm awaiting action keeps cold air out (fairly well but if -20C, I must act quickly taking photos). Thus my bedroom converts to a spacious blind/hide. Outside that window are the typical enticements for birds/animals. The deer get oats and barely but the birds fare the best. When more energetic I set up a flash or two on tripod for remote firing of fill flash. This has provided quite a few fun moments and the odd very good photo.

Anyone else playing tricks like this?

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I suggest you make an adaptation to that window so that it works for photos (think outside the box, it might be possible).

Probably not a casement like mine but what I did for winter shooting from inside was to cut a plexi-glass panel insert that I placed inside the frame. The window cranks open outwards and sideways. In that panel, which I painted to remove visibility except for a peep hole is a oval cutout, lined with some small (slit) rubber hose. The 400 DO rests on that without scuffing.

A flap that flips up to cover this hole when I'm awaiting action keeps cold air out (fairly well but if -20C, I must act quickly taking photos). Thus my bedroom converts to a spacious blind/hide. Outside that window are the typical enticements for birds/animals. The deer get oats and barely but the birds fare the best. When more energetic I set up a flash or two on tripod for remote firing of fill flash. This has provided quite a few fun moments and the odd very good photo.

Anyone else playing tricks like this?

Jack
I think you are replying to the mail I was replying to. What's -20C? Anything to with https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45081/the-cremation-of-sam-mcgee or some other Canadian phenomenon?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Here's a (Eurasian) Jay through my double glazing (R5+400mm DO II + 2xTC) this afternoon. Not nearly as stellar but better looking than the average corvid.
View attachment 194137
Nice to see the (Eurasian) Jay making an appearance, and good to see that despite a scruffy lawn you keep your windows nice and clean :)
:censored:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think you are replying to the mail I was replying to. What's -20C? Anything to with https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45081/the-cremation-of-sam-mcgee or some other Canadian phenomenon?
Well, I don't have midnight sun but I get your point. I'm not too motivated to take the camera out in such weather but occasionally I do.

Seems with the couple postings about shots through windows I got confused. You have taken shots through windows before, right? Anyway, my bright ideas are sometimes pretty far out but that's just me always looking for problems to fit my sometimes crazy solutions.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice to see the (Eurasian) Jay making an appearance, and good to see that despite a scruffy lawn you keep your windows nice and clean :)
:censored:
My lawn isn't scruffy, it's wilded with lots of self-seeded wild flowers to encourage insects which attract birds and other insectivores.

Upvote 0

IslanderMV

"life is for the birds"
May 1, 2012
www.bernierland.com
Tron, for a wile I was hesitating to comment on your comment ( :)) but since here we are community of mix photographers/naturalist I can't resist: We still have to wait for a photo of oystercatcher catching true Oyster (oyster is ambiguous) because the shellfish on that photos is a Scallop (also ambiguous but both groups have very distinctive shells). Not big deal at all but there is that devil in me that always make me uncomfortable when I see miss-identification (and in the same time I hate my photos of interesting/rare for my location birds that are not good at all and it's very painful!).
Yes, the mollusk in question was a sweet Bay Scollop. In the area the picture was taken it is abundant. A good tasting meal for both birds and humans.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0