Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Those are really beautiful shots, AlanF. Were you using a RF 800mm f11 lens, or the 400 DOII & 2xTC? I've got the RF 800 f11 lens and really enjoyed how lightweight and easy to use it is, but didn't think it could produce high IQ shots like you just did.

Out of curiosity, do you use full or 1st curtain electronic shutter? Single or continuous shooting? cRaw or Raw?
I've come to use one back button for spot AF and another for animal eye AF and that's working pretty well for me. Do you do something similar?
I'm always interested in possible ways to make using the R5 easier & better.
These were done with the 400mm DO II +2xTCIII, which I find heavy but versatile because of using it also at 400mm f/4 and 3.3m mfd. If the 800mm f/11 becomes available on sale or return, I'll give it it a try and keep if the IQ is good enough in comparison. I keep things simple and use EFCS, continuous shooting, cRAW and the same button assignments as you.

Reactions: usern4cr

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
These were done with the 400mm DO II +2xTCIII, which I find heavy but versatile because of using it also at 400mm f/4 and 3.3m mfd. If the 800mm f/11 becomes available on sale or return, I'll give it it a try and keep if the IQ is good enough in comparison. I keep things simple and use EFCS, continuous shooting, cRAW and the same button assignments as you.
I'll be interested in what you think of the RF 800 f11 quality. You may be jaded by your higher expectations since you have such good equipment already. I have the RF 100-500 and RF 800 f11 and find that I just use the RF 100-500 and don't (hardly) bother with the RF 800 since it also lacks the close focus ability. YMMV.

I use EFCS normally, unless I'm so close that the shutter sound scares the birds away (as it does when shooting outside my window at them nearby). The downside of full electronic shutter is that it's too darn fast at the FPS, and I can't get it to use a slower speed.

It's good to hear you use the same setting I do as it makes me feel more confident in continuing that way. :)

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'll be interested in what you think of the RF 800 f11 quality. You may be jaded by your higher expectations since you have such good equipment already. I have the RF 100-500 and RF 800 f11 and find that I just use the RF 100-500 and don't (hardly) bother with the RF 800 since it also lacks the close focus ability. YMMV.

I use EFCS normally, unless I'm so close that the shutter sound scares the birds away (as it does when shooting outside my window at them nearby). The downside of full electronic shutter is that it's too darn fast at the FPS, and I can't get it to use a slower speed.

It's good to hear you use the same setting I do as it makes me feel more confident in continuing that way. :)
What is the IQ of the 800 like compared with your other lenses with extender? The Digital Photograph site leaves me puzzled. Its copy of the 400mm DO II is very soft wide open and so doesn't make good comparisons, and the RF 100-500mm + 1.4xTC looks sharper at 700mm.

Reactions: usern4cr

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
What is the IQ of the 800 like compared with your other lenses with extender? The Digital Photograph site leaves me puzzled. Its copy of the 400mm DO II is very soft wide open and so doesn't make good comparisons, and the RF 100-500mm + 1.4xTC looks sharper at 700mm.
I'm OK doing a test of the IQ of both. Edit: I've never tried to do a quality test between lenses and don't have studio lighting to make it easy, so I'll contact you directly to see if I can come up with some way to test that you think would give you good results.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanF

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
These two hang out in my backyard. Obviously a committed relationship :), they always sit on a utility pole together. Shot handheld with R5 and EF 100-400 mkii + 1.4x mk iii; f/8; 1/4000; ISO 1250 using "animal eye focus" mode. Full disclosure, I did replace a solid blue sky with this cloud one.
Bird Romance.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today I was hunting a Laughing Gull in that area (there are reports of one wandering there). The one on the photos doesn't look exactly like a Laughing Gull
:)LOL:) but it was what I found :(! The strange pattern in the water is due to a tall (40-50 floors?) building(s) and some trees behind the water.

DSC_0162_DxO.jpg
DSC_0174_DxO.jpg

PKinDenmark

EOS 90D
Apr 5, 2013
ISO64. Great woodpeckers - We do not have the hairy variety in my woods.
And thank you for your thoughts about shooting through window-glass - makes sense.

I got a few new shots today, that I made me glad. Never had a kingfisher at such short distance before.
Both with R5, RF 100-500 with 1.4*TC = 700mm
_MG_5692 DPP-Edit-2.jpg
_MG_5837 DPP-Edit-2.jpg

<-- start Taboola -->